Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father of Bride passed away- choosing songs for 2 brothers is hard

My dad passed away 3 years ago and I have 2 older brothers who are walking me down the ailse. They are my rocks, my go-to guys and they take such good care of me. I am toiling over what songs to dance with them at the reception. I will do 2 dances, one for each. I don't want anything lovey dovey but nothing that you'd dance to with a dad. I don't want to make them feel old! I know what bands they like but I can't think of anything appropriate for either. Any suggestions?

Re: Father of Bride passed away- choosing songs for 2 brothers is hard

• edited December 2011
    My 2 brothers walked me down the aisle also and we danced to Dance with my father by Luther Vandross and our video guy made a photo montage dedicated to my dad while the song played
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • edited December 2011
    im having trouble with this too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    How about the song that goes "I'll stand by you" or "Because you loved me". These songs show some love and I don't find them too mushy. I think they are appropriate for brother/sister dance
  • amaksym05amaksym05 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a hard time with this as well but I am dancing to somewhere over the rainbow over the rainbow by Israel Kamakawio. We are dedicating the song to our father. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • garveryrgarveryr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had this issue also, and my brother is walking me down the aisle. I didn't want to choose anything too sentimental (trying to minimize my crying), so I chose the most appropriate song for my very protective (not over-protective) brother... "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also dancing with two of my brothers as my Dad passed away 2 years ago.  We are doing one song, with one brother "cutting in" in the middle.  We are doing "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart.  It's a song that reminded my Dad of us kids.
  • mapikemapike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Hero" Mariah Carey
  • jnu1117jnu1117 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more day by Diamond Rio or your still you, or to where you are by Josh Groban.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • melissae01melissae01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father passed away several years ago too, and i've been fortunate to have a brother to be there for me. I opted to walk down the isle by myself, but have my brother wait for me at the end of the isle to give me away.  I have selected this AMAZING song by Josh Groban "To Where You Are".. check out the lyrics, it will bring you to tears and it is so appropriate (at least for me)... it's not really a song for my brother it is a song for my dad - and what better people to dance to a song honoring our father than me and my brother.  Hope this helps!!!
  • kmonte15kmonte15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This may sounds like a strange choice, but Sister by Dave Matthews Band is a beautiful song and would be fitting...
  • edited December 2011
    Perfect song for me and my brother was My Wish by Rascal Flatts. Agreed it's country but still it wasn't too mushy, just enough for it to be a reception song and the lyrics are what we'd say to each other. I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow, And each road leads you where you want to go, And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose, I hope you choose the one that means the most to you. And if one door opens to another door closed, I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window, If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile, But more than anything, more than anything, My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to, Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small, You never need to carry more than you can hold, And while you're out there getting where you're getting to, I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too, Yeah, this, is my wish. I hope you never look back, but ya never forget, All the ones who love you, in the place you left, I hope you always forgive, and you never regret, And you help somebody every chance you get, Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake, And you always give more than you take. But more than anything, yeah, and more than anything, My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to, Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small, You never need to carry more than you can hold, And while you're out there getting where you're getting to, I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too, Yeah, this, is my wish. My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to, Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small, You never need to carry more than you can hold, And while you're out there getting where you're getting to, I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too, Yeah, this, is my wish. This is my wish I hope you know somebody loves you May all your dreams stay big----------------------------------------------------------------Now, if they absolutely hate country there's a few classic rock and oldies songs I suggest. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' RosesMama Kin - Aerosmith (this is just a fun one)Dreams - Van HalenWhen I Grow Up - Beach BoysIn My Room - Beach BoysDance Dance Dance - Beach BoysGood Timin' - Beach BoysWe Are Family - Sister SledgeI'll Be There - Jackson 5That's What Friends Are For - Dionne WarwickIn My Life - The BeatlesStand By Me - The TemptationsTimes of your life - Paul Anka
  • edited December 2011
    What about doing "my girl" by the temptations. This is a great song and is not just for dads. I am sure to your brothers you will always be their girl, especially if you are the only girl in the family. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • esperanzitaesperanzita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So if you want something a little more modern and young sounding maybe, "Angel" by monica and "I turn to you" by Christina Aguliara (sp)
  • fotienbamfotienbam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father had passed too, and my brother had took me in when i was three with his wife and kids (hes 20some years older than me) and i had a hard time trying to find a song and ive chosen "thank you" by led zepplin, i was also thinking of "you're my inspiration" by Chicago
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards