Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do your IRL friends know...

about your internet addiction?Ahem...I mean MY addiction.  I spend more time on here than I do calling and talking to my IRL friends.  Kind of pathetic, I know.My friends would fall on the floor laughing if they had any idea I spend so much time online talking to people I have never met.  I casually mentioned it before and they made fun of me so bad I never brought it up again.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do your IRL friends know...

• Options
    I'm practically made of Internet. It's where my money comes from, it's where a lot of my friends have come from, it's where Buddy came from.To relax after a long day of working on the Internet, I go on the Internet.I do not understand people who don't spend time on the Internet. I mean that I literally cannot grasp that concept. When I have to launch into yet another long explanation of who the Vlogbrothers are, I die a little inside.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    FI knows, and one of my RL friends knows (she was addicted to her local when she got married), but other than that, nope. I have a feeling they wouldn't get it. They all had no idea what to say when they found out FI and I met online. Then they assumed we were both desparate for sex. They wouldn't know what good having friends on the internet would be.
  • Options
    No way. I've always been kind of the anti-bride, so they would not at all understand the fact that I spend all day (and night) talking on a wedding website's message board.
  • Options
    nah. I try not to talk about it. I went out with a friend I met on my local when I was engaged. When people asked how we met she proudly stated "we met through theknot.com!!!". I blushed. Not sure why... but no.
  • Options
    Yeah, no. Definitely not. FI is the only one who is aware of my "problem". How freakin' hot do you look in that photo?
  • Options
    One of my friends found me on here once.  She came to ask a legit planning question and was like, WHOA.  She was really cool about it, though.  I was like, "hey, I'm unemployed and I live in a town where I don't know anyone.  It's nice to talk to people about random stuff sometimes."  She thought it was cute.FI makes fun of me having interwebz friends though, especially with all the recent FBing that's been going on.  He can't really talk, though, since he's always trolling around sports forums.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Does DH count? Oh, and my parents know, I used to Knot at their house sometimes.
  • Options
    I never thought about it, but they have no idea! Actually, when I had the whole knot interview, I was hesitant to say anything to my friends just cause then maybe they'd see my screenname and find me. I was always horrible at responding to people IRL though, so this didn't change that.
  • Options
    NO !!!  They know I'm a board, but they have know idea which one or how often.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My IRL friends definitely don't know about my Knot addiction.  I'm pretty sure they would think it was weird that I spend so much time on a message board.  I am friends with a lot of girls from here on FB, so it's not like I am trying to keep my two "worlds" separate - but we also don't really advertise on FB that we know each other from here. 
  • Options
    No... I don't want my RL friends to join and be addicted. I would suck the fun right out. I have an irrational fear (perhaps no so irrational) that a RL friend is a lurker or something.
  • Options
    My parents and husband know, but I wasn't really counting them as friends.
  • Options
    I don't talk about it much anymore. They know I met FI online, and another friend met her husband through match or eHarmony, so I don't think they're against that, per se (although we met through a chat room). However, one of my friends spoke condescendingly of me having a mySpace profile several years ago, when I was "breaking in" to being single 4 years ago, and a couple have intimated that their lives are way too busy (i.e., I'm a loser) to be online - they are married/several have kids. Technically, she spoke of another classmate looking for a mate. I called her on it and said if you're saying that about him, then you're saying it about me. She fessed up she was. So the upshot is, no, I don't, not really. I've moved to a new location, they've moved on with their lives. The only contact we really have now is via email and Facebook.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    FI knows. My best friend knows I post occasionally on a wedding website, but not any more than that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    These responses make me feel better. I thought I might have been the only one who considered it bordering on addiction and wasn't telling their RL friends about it. ;)
  • Options
    My whole day is on the compter so tabbing to P&E isn't really going out of my way. At home or just not at work, I prefer picking my own content and it doesn't seem like an addiction if you compare when other people watch tv all day. Then again, isn't denial a sign of addiction?
  • Options
    Thanks Julez:)I think my H was the one who kind of opened my mind to it.  He spends tons of time on car forums and has met many IRL friends through them.  I used to make fun of him, then I went on here to see and learn about weddings, then I started to see what all the fuss was about...and I liked it!And since my H always asks about TK and I have caught him reading my posts many times, I would say he enjoys it too.He told me last week he would rather have a knottie friend stay at our house than the douchebag old friend I had staying here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not REALLY. I have mentioned it, but I dont go into detail just how long I am on here everyday. My bridesmaid made a comment about the knot the other day, she knew I was posting on P&E when I was planning my wedding over a year ago, and I commented about somthing that happened on the boards and she laughed at me, because she couldnt believe I still post here. I think my little addiction is going to stay in the closet for now.
  • Options
    I have an irrational fear (perhaps no so irrational) that a RL friend is a lurker or something. I have thought about this too, and I have really done nothing on here to actually be private.  I thought last week about the ex-friend I was venting about and how awkward it would be if she saw it.  Then I thought...oh well...then I would REALLY never have to worry about her calling me anymore.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ummmm, no. i use the computer probably less than any of my friends, and when i am knotting it is because i am bored, drunkk, at work, or some combination of those.anyway, id never live it down if my friends knew i spend all my time on a message board for brides. then again all my friends are guys and im supposed to be 'one of them'.
  • Options
    some of my friends know i have made friends on theknot, but i downplay the amt of time i spend on here talking to people i will never meet IRL. and i don't really discuss it at all unless i am asked how i know someone and my response is "i met them on theknot." period.
  • Options
    I too am very concerned about RL friends reading. I know my mom used to. I'm not sure if she still does. It does make me think twice before posting personal stuff... just so she won't read it. I don't care as much about strangers. Speaks volumes, huh?
  • Options
    All my friends are internet nerds, with a few exceptions, so yes.
  • Options
    I hope my newly engaged friend doesn't join.  I would feel weird with someone I know reading all my random musings.But she doesn't even do facebook or myspace, so I should be safe.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got caught up in the match and halfway answered.  Some friends know about the knot.  We are on a music forum so they get it. 
  • Options
    I was trying to explain to my mother the other day how a message board works, she was very confused. Im pretty sure she has no idea what im talking about when I talk about this, and she will never be able to find it.
  • Options
    Nope.  My sister and my old roommate know though.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I don't care as much about strangers. Speaks volumes, huh? Me too.  I wouldn't post many things I say on here if I knew my coworkers or family were reading. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sasha- hot pic.  You didn't answer me the other night about taking my Journey CDs back, kind of miffed. 
  • Options
    my mom was the one that found the message boards and said "go post a question on the local about your venue question". It was downhill from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards