New Jersey

Need Help with Venue/Hurricane Sandy

My fiance and I are planning a July 2013 wedding. We fell in love with the intimacy and natural beauty of Sandy Hook. We were thrilled to plan a tented reception next to the chapel. Recently, however, we were told that due to the destruction of Hurricane Sandy, there is no guarantee that the roads, plumbing, and electricity up to the park would be ready for next summer. Now I am in a pickle. Planning this wedding is trivial when thinking about the indescribable destruction in the area and how people's homes, lives, and livelihoods have been affected.

So my questions for my fellow knotties: 1 Is anyone else planning a Sandy Hook wedding? If so, are you still planning the wedding without a guarantee? 2 should I proceed with the planning despite the lack if certainty? And lastly, 3 does anyone have any suggestions for natural, unique wedding locations ceremony and reception in same place in New Jersey? We prefer something historical with outdoor space approximately 120.00 per person including tax and gratuities for around 200 people?

Thank you all so much!

Re: Need Help with Venue/Hurricane Sandy

• Although its not historical, roycebrooke country club has a gorgeous tent in your price range.
  • I don't really have any advice for you other than I wouldn't take the chance on waiting. I would start looking for another venue asap. Good luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My coworker's daughter is getting married at the Summit Reeves-Reed Arboretum, with the ceremony on site and the reception in a tent. There's also the chapel in Allaire State Park, but I'm not sure if you could do a tented reception there too. I'm sorry this is happening. Good luck. :-)
  • Thank you all for your suggestions! I will check out those venues mentioned.
  • Unfortunately there is no guarentee at this point, and given all the work involved in coordinating a wedding and all your vendors, it may be best to start looking for a plan B so you can have something more solid to work with.  Check out Grounds for Sculpture- I hear it's beautiful.  If you want to do something a little more rustic there's Bayonett Farm in Holmdel that has barns that can be rented out to hold your ceremony/reception.
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • You cannot do a tented reception at Allaire State Park.

I am doing my ceremony there and I only have an hour and a half due to time slot time restraints.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is rough. I cannot imagine the extra stress this puts on you.

I agree with PP's to start working on a Plan B. Who knows, you may fall even more in love wtih a venue.

I got married Sept 2012 in Spring Lake. Doolan's Shore Club was the venue. They recently renovated and we were extremely happy! Maybe you can check there?
  • I sent you a message, MsSmith! I am supposed to be getting married on Sandy Hook in June, and i'm very nervous, just as you are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We are going forward with an August 2013 wedding at the Chapel at Sandy Hook.  I have confidence that the venue will be up and running by then, but I empathize with your worry, good luck to all of us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards