Snarky Brides

Healthcare Mandate

12346»

Re: Healthcare Mandate

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:86ac8b58-e11c-4891-a85e-d026b4d053fc">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : But if you're one of the unemployed persons who is forced to have insurance and premiums go up, $12 a month could be a hardship. I feel like this plan is just going to further kick those who are already down. And people say I don't have a heart. :)
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Aww, you have a heart, Mara! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:36b5fe91-d170-4473-9b97-824833a3d3f2">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : Ours went up $12 a month. It didn't kill us.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

Thats nice but $12 isnt $100. $1200 a year for a single person is a lot of money.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:76209124-6e00-4abc-9b19-e84b6baf6740">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : Thats nice but $12 isnt $100. $1200 a year for a single person is a lot of money.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yeah it is. My point was that I don't think that ACA automatically thinks that everyone's premiums will go through the roof.
  • Sorry for my random one sentence inputs, but my next thought is the economy suffering.  If people are now having to pay an extra bill, that $100 per month they may have been spending at a store for clothes, or maybe one dinner out a month isn't available any longer.  So not only do small businesses now have increased costs, but they may suffer lower revenue.

imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:5231997d-01be-4364-95c4-13ae8f949f97">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry for my random one sentence inputs, but my next thought is the economy suffering.  If people are now having to pay an extra bill, that $100 per month they may have been spending at a store for clothes, or maybe one dinner out a month isn't available any longer.  So not only do small businesses now have increased costs, but they may suffer lower revenue.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

But if they need medical care, they need it. That cost will be incurred no matter what. And for those that are that poor and wind up on Medicare, they will also get tax credits.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:145259d3-c378-4da4-bdfc-3af4e826b3b4">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : But if they need medical care, they need it. That cost will be incurred no matter what. And for those that are that poor and wind up on Medicare, they will also get tax credits.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I suppose I'm looking at it from my current situation.  I have insurance through my employer.  FI works for a retail establishment as well as through the city, but only as a seasonal employee.  Because of this, he doesn't receive benefits through either place.  He is enrolled in school so he can visit the clinic there without insurance (it's included in tuition), and if he is injured playing football or at practice/working out then he is covered under the teams insurance.  If he gets injured in a automobile accident (in theory) he is covered by that insurance.  So for us, we would be paying for something that he may never use and that would take up our current amount of 'mad money' to spend/stimulate the economy.

This is probably a very isolated situation, though.
    imageVacation
  • Wait. How is 12 the same as 100?
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:1c4f96e0-d1e9-42b1-8a32-fabdaf20b054">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait. How is 12 the same as 100?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

No, I was agreeing with you that an $100 increase would effing suck. My point was that Just because you had an $100 increase doesn't mean that will automatically happen to everyone. By the same token, just because I had a $12 increase doesn't mean everyone will either. Individual examples don't make the rule.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:6d9a434d-607a-4255-a720-f3b6fb24f1de">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : I suppose I'm looking at it from my current situation.  I have insurance through my employer.  FI works for a retail establishment as well as through the city, but only as a seasonal employee.  Because of this, he doesn't receive benefits through either place.  He is enrolled in school so he can visit the clinic there without insurance (it's included in tuition), and if he is injured playing football or at practice/working out then he is covered under the teams insurance.  If he gets injured in a automobile accident (in theory) he is covered by that insurance.  So for us, we would be paying for something that he may never use and that would take up our current amount of 'mad money' to spend/stimulate the economy. This is probably a very isolated situation, though.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

But that is what insurance is all about - balancing out your risk. Some people will never use it, some will use it a lot. The two balance each other out. I have never been in a car accident, but I still have to pay for car insurance in case I do. I have a ridic list of medical issues that run up a lot of costs. H is pretty healthy and just needs a physical once a year. We pay the same amount in insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards