Massachusetts-Cape Cod

first post here

i didn't know this site existed! i'm already booked at CLH for next May. I'm in Houston, trying to plan a cape wedding (my FI is from South Yarmouth). Our photographer is not mentioned by anyone here, but has a fantastic website and is really reasonably priced ($3K for unlimited hours, full rights, DVD, etc) - Rupert Whitely - his style is similar to but better than Amy Dykens. Amy Dykens' website is great, so is the CD she mails you, but if you ask her to see recent weddings to see how she tells a single story, it's really not that impressive. I'm surprised how many people like Lisa George - she was a total b*t*h to me when I asked what kind of discount she could offer if I guaranteed a certain number of people. I don't care how good someone's work can be - she's totally unprofessional. The numerous people on here who have had her cancel weeks before their wedding is a testament to that. I would not work with her even if her prices were reasonable. I have been in touch with Karen Nightingale who seems great - any thoughts? Also, I'm pretty sold on Salon Justine for hair just based on the comments here. Anyone else know of someone in Chatham or Orleans who has comparable quality without outrageous prices (ahem, Oasis)? Thanks!

Re: first post here

• edited December 2011
    This really doesn't address your question, but I wanted to let you know that I was in a wedding in November and Rupert was the photographer. He was so nice and great to work. I must admit during the formals I was a little nervous. We were rushed by an approaching storm, but he just didn't seem very creative. Well boy was I wrong... When the bride got her pictures back they were amazing. He truly captured the feel of her entire day from beginning to end. Great choice! I personally chose Chris Cook because he only works on the Cape and knows every venue thoroughly... and his style is similar. Best of luck with everything!
  • edited December 2011
    I feel the need to defend Amy Dykens after reading your post. I had her photograph my wedding last May, and I do not have a single complaint about her work. Her personality is absolutely wonderful, and we loved having her be part of our day. And her photographs from our wedding are nothing short of amazing. I have never looked so good in my life :-) The "story" (as you phrase it) was told from start to finish, and I was definitely impressed with it.
  • edited December 2011
    sorry, did not mean to offend - i was just not super-impressed with Amy Dykens' work when shown raw images from a wedding she did from start to finish. For you, all that should matter is that you were satisfied.
  • erickskderickskd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  I'm getting married at CLH in June.  Who are you using for flowers?  We're meeting with a few this weekend.  Does Salon Justine come to you or salon-only?
  • emh777emh777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Welcome and congrats! I am getting married at the Heritage Museum and Gardens in Sandwich on 10/2/10. I live in Los Angeles so I can appreciate having to plan from so far away. Thanks for the photographer info - that's my next step.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's interesting that all your comments are negative Are you a professional photographer? I have never seen it posted that Lisa George cancelled on anyone. Where did you get this> I used both of these vendors and was completely happy! And all your comments are about money This is a nice board and I'd like to see it stay that way Carol
  • edited December 2011
    Erickskd: Shelley recommends Meredith Fancy, but my FMIL had problems with her when planning my FSIL's wedding last year - i think Meredith didn't want to travel to Dennis, so this will likely not be an issue for CLH. There is a great, old post about florists on this site. Recommended people from that post were Roche Bros in Mashpee, Holly Holmes, RCH designs, and Briana Potter. My mom wanted to do my flowers, so I have not seriously looked - let me know what you find! who are you using for ceremony music? we're going with the schultze - erickson cello duo, but I liked Katie Lynch, too. I have been having problems getting Liz Schultze to reliably reply to me, but we are locked in already. ------ EMH77: Heritage Gardens are awesome - we're not having enough people to warrant having it there. When is your wedding? How many trips are you planning back? I was trying to get it all in one trip in Feb, but I'm starting to doubt that it'll be enough. --------------------- Bimmy: I can understand how you would be defensive, since you used both vendors. But if you look back to previous posts, there are two hair 911 posts from people whom Lisa George left in a lurch after double-booking just weeks before their weddings. In addition, there was one recently who said Lisa George was being uncooperative, leaving her looking for new hair and make-up two months before her wedding. That is where I get my info ... other brides on this site. The point of this site is not to gloss over everything and make it all peachy but to share real experiences and impressions because it is difficult to make these decisions with vendors always putting their best foot forward. Feel free to disagree with my perceived negativity, but I will continue to give my honest opinions. I gave my honest opinion about Amy Dykens, who has beautiful montages, but with whom I was not impressed when I asked for access to an actual whole wedding. Also, of course my comments are about money - did you not budget for your wedding?! Oh, but thanks for the scolding, anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    ack, Erickskd, forgot to answer your question about Justine - she comes to you for no extra cost. My FMIL checked out her salon and thought it was great, and the day she did, Justine was in Boston doing a wedding, so she is obviously ok with traveling. She has gotten great reviews on this site. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a website, but does have a show book in her salon. If i get pics from my FMIL, i can share them, too.
  • carolyns4882carolyns4882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa George has been nothing but a pleasure to work with. She has answered all of my questions very quickly and has no problem traveling to the Wequassett for our wedding. I don't really think she is that pricey for hair and makeup the day of my wedding! This is what she does for a living and is a professional. Her prices seem to be set in stone and it seems as if there are people lining up to book her...I don't think she needs to barter!
  • edited December 2011
    I would be careful posting so many negative things about vendors even before your wedding, they lurk here and cape cod is small.
  • edited December 2011
    You either need to reread those posts or you are really full of it. I think you are a vendor who is desparate for work Either way you are just so unkind
  • capebride2009capebride2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On this board we try and realize that there are many tastes to fit many brides and just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they aren't great or don't meet another's brides dream vendor description. 
  • jla23jla23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa completely left me in a bind. I asked her for a contract a few times with no response and when I asked to book a trial, she told me she had booked someone else that day and 'sorry'. I know girls have had a great experience with her, and good for them. But mine was completely negative. I guess it depends on what mood she is in?? Good luck planning! Everyone has their favorite vendors for one reason or another and reasons why they don't like some.. to each her own :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think the OP may fit in better on the P&E Board ;-) Regarding Meredith Fancy, she was more than happy to deliver my flowers to Brewster so I don't know why she wouldn't travel to Dennis (she is based in Orleans).  And many posters on this board, including myself, love her.  She is one of the few florists that does not charge minimums, and her work is absolutely gorgeous.
  • edited December 2011
    I am a CLH bride next August.  I booked Meredith Fancy for flowers and I have to say she is just the sweetest woman.  My mom and I got the chance to visit her house this summer and it is quite a sight!  Her whole yard is abloom with gorgeous flowers and really makes you feel confident she will do a great job for you.  Plus, she is very experienced with working at the CLH and she really is reasonable.  Just an FYI.I haven't booked hair yet, but apparently I need to get on that train soon?  I thought I had some time!
  • carolyns4882carolyns4882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     If you didn't have a contract with Lisa then she didn't really leave you in a bind. You must have already known her services weren't 100% gauranteed??
  • edited December 2011
    re: Meredith Fancy - if my comment seemed negative, it was not intended. She was upfront with my FMIL about not being able to make it - who knows what the real deal was. Her work IS gorgeous and Shelley at CLH recommends her to everyone b/c she is reliable and does great work. If my mom doesn't come through on the flowers, Meredith will be high on my list. Also check out the old post with florist recs, though, if you want other vendors to check out. re: everything else here - i think this board is intended for everyone to voice their opinion whether or not others may agree (highlighted by another knottie on here). I think you get a better sense of the vendors from this sort of discussion. So thanks to everyone for contributing. One thing that bothers me is the elitist commentary from a couple of posts - if you have no budget and/or no patience for people who do budget or try to bargain for better prices, please keep your condescension to a minimum . . . not all of us can be so lucky, and it doesn't help anyone with wedding planning to be reminded that they are po'. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any useful info to share for your questions, but just wanted to welcome you to the board --- congrats on your upcoming wedding!  I can add you to the October edition of the Cape and Islands Date list -- what day is your wedding?  Good luck with the planning!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards