Texas-San Antonio

Affordable Makeup/Hair

Hi Ladies, Can anyone recommend somewhere affordable for my bridesmaids to have their hair and makeup done for the wedding. I'm getting mine done at Versi, but that was a little more than they wanted to spend. I'm hoping to find something in north/central SA since all the day of activities are in central SA. I had thought about the Aveda Institute - has anyone had experience getting their hair styled there? Also, do they do makeup? Thanks in advance!

Re: Affordable Makeup/Hair

• edited December 2011
    The lady I'm using for my hair and make-up is extremely reasonable, and will actually come to you for no charge. She's going to be charging my BMs $25 for just hair, and $35 if they want make-up too. Her name is Mary Coop and her email is maryecoop at gmail dot com, if you want to email her about it. As far as Aveda goes, I looked on their website and they do have updos listed on the price board starting at $30. I go there to get my hair cut and get highlights, and they've always done a great job. I would think they'd be able to handle the updo pretty well too. The only thing is you might have to budget a little extra time since they usually have to have instructors come check and just might not be as quick as hair stylists who have been working for a while. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a make-up station set up in the salon, but I have no idea how much that would cost and what they actually offer. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I am also getting Mary Coop to do my hair and my bridesmaids' hair. She is super nice, reasonable and I liked my hair when I did the trial!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and she advertises on Craigslist. Her e-mail address is maryecoop@gmail.com
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Here I go again tagging along on someone elses' post but if you dont mind me asking how much did she charge for hair and make? Did the price include a trial run as well?
  • edited December 2011
    missmerla - She is going to charge me $20 for me for the wedding day hair and make-up because I am referring my bridal party to her. She is charging me $25 for my bridal portrait hair and make-up. And she did my trial for free (I ended up tipping her anyway because I felt bad making her come to my house and spending a few hours and then not getting anything for it, and she did a good job). Like pp said, she is super friendly and fun and seemed like she knew what she is doing. She doesn't add on any fees for coming to your location, and she is really good with her email communication. If you want to send me an email at linzlars at gmail dot com I can forward the email she sent to me with some of her previous work. I'm sure she could also send them to you if you wanted to contact her directly with the email earthone and I posted above. She is charging my BM and other bridal party members (like my mom) $35 for hair and make-up, and $25 for just hair. She also offered trials for the BMs for $10 if they wanted them. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Lindsey Lopez.  I found her on craigslist and she actually works for Sephora and does freelance make-up work. She did an amazing job on my make-up for my trial. She charges $25 for the trial, $55 for the bride, and $35 for bridesmaids. Her email is romanholidaypink@gmail.comAlso, I had a terrible hair cute experience with Aveda Institute but it was when I lived in baton Rouge.  You have to be careful because they let new people try out anything and although I requested someone who was about to graduate, they put me with a girl who had been there for two months.  She butchered my hair and it literally took a year to get back to normal. They do make-up but have very limited colors, it is all very natural and nothing dramatic.
  • edited December 2011
    Linzlars, Thank you so much for your help! I have emailed you with my email address so you can forward her email! Thanks again a bunch!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards