Jewish Weddings
Options

Signing the Ketubah

Do you sign the Ketubah with both your English and Hebrew names or just English or just Hebrew or is it going to depend on my Rabbi? TIA!

Re: Signing the Ketubah

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're signing with both.  The ketubah design had the English signature lines on one side and the Hebrew ones on the other.  We could have had them remove the Hebrew ones.  However, NotFroofy (who is, ironically, not Jewish) thought that having the lines on both sides made it look more balanced.  Since her Hebrew name (really, the transliteration of her name into Hebrew) is way longer than mine, I figured that if she wanted that, I could manage it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know, I only remember signing my english name, but, I distinctly remember our witnesses having to do both english and hebrew. Perhaps that is because our hebrew names were already in the text of the document somewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had an orthodox rabbi - We only signed in English. Our witnesses signed in Hebrew.
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we didn't sign ours, only our witnesses did and they signed in hebrew only.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I remember the Rabbi saying the witnesses had to sign in Hebrew, that's what had me wondering.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our ketubah will have our names personalized into the text; not sure if we'll add extra signature lines.Personally, I'd like to have extra lines - my FI and I, witnesses and rabbi will sign in Hebrew, and then there'll be extra lines for two others, mainly for my MOH, who is my niece and not Jewish, to sign her name in English. 
  • Options
    signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I signed my friend's ketubah, I signed both English and Hebrew, I think it depends on your rabbi.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards