Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Val & C&D

2»

Re: Val & C&D

• edited December 2011
    IB - the Boston board has never had a similar situation.  I think this vendor in partic decided to wage war.  He is a paying advertiser - not a coincedence that TK decided to cave to him.
  • edited December 2011
    The Boston Post where I believe this whole thing started from ... the DJ did not defend the posting against him, he promoted his business, but did not address the issue at hand, his pushiness. Vendors do look at the boards, but with the understanding that they can not post, now that they are premitted to defend themselves you know they will be looking more. I will no longer feel comfortable with people's reviews if they know a vendor might make them out to look like a crazy person when things are taken out of context. Yes, people blow things out of proportion, but generally speaking more than one person posts about a certain vendor. In this case at least two brides had said the vendor was pushy, so it wasn't coming from no where.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it started with the Boston board.  Seems like other boards, like NH, have been dealing with the new policy for some time now.  Nobody's happy about it.
  • edited December 2011
    Ha! The vendor just emailed the bride asking her to pay for the lost client?! What a goof.
  • edited December 2011
    fff - i was speaking more broadly than that one situation. im sure that the review is warranted in that case, but im saying as a whole, not every negative review is warranted. IB - totally agree - vendors pay big bucks to advertise. why would they pay TK money when TK gives brides access to bash them without any recourse of their own. its all about the benjamins :)
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get TK has people that give them money to promote them. That doens't mean they are a good business, it means they are paying money to get promoted. I don't think that gives them the right to start taking people's e mails and posting them, out of context, and posting on TK boards without the original brides consent. Also, without giving the bride a reason to say no..... here's the story. If they want vendors to be able to respond to reviews, make a review type tab like weddingwire has, where they can respond to each review separately, and address the positive/negative feedback on an individual basis.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, there are ways get around almost anything. If someone posts a question about the vendor, all we need to ask for is their email to tell our bad experience.
  • Knot AnnieKnot Annie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Philly, I’m telling you something very similar to what I told the Boston mod. You/they are definitely not the only board. I referenced it above in the library and have posted it on the mod board about a month ago, but we are putting this policy out slowly. Many of our mods and members have been asking for this for a long time. It’s common practice other sites, such as Trip Advisor, Wedding Wire, Yelp etc. We had so many brides feeling like they were not able to give honest reviews because the negative vendor reviews were being deleted and instructed to do so my moderators and TheKnot.com. From a vendor perspective, for many brides and vendors -  it’s good to hear that side, as well. For example, a photographer might say “I actually was on time, in fact, I showed up a half hour early, but her BMs were not ready for pics.” Or a florist might say, “The bride specifically said (and they will have an email to back it up) to use carnations instead of roses to save money, but in the end….” Anyway, you get my point. Also, if you hired Vendor ABC and have heard a bride’s side of the story, it might help to hear the person that you have hired, as well. If we did not lock the post there would be potential for a huge fighting match between bride and vendor and it has to end at some point. In reality they always have the voice because all vendor posting must always be approved though me. I will do my best to always be fair here. Like all new rules, I am open to making changes if they make sense and there is always room for improvement. I’ll listen to what everyone is saying, but do believe that this is a positive addition to our Community. Thanks, KA
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    Also, if you hired Vendor ABC and have heard a bride’s side of the story, it might help to hear the person that you have hired, as well. I think this works in theory.  But in the case the of Boston DJ (posted above), the vendor was given a platform to defend himself against allegations of pushy and overbearing sales tactics from 2 brides.  Unfortunately, he did not do that.  Instead, he used the space to advertise his business.  TK shouldn't have approved that "rebuttal." 
  • edited December 2011
    Crap crap crap school and not being able to see this until tonight!  I think you guys have all said it best already.  As long as TK is regulating what the vendors say (so it's not an advertisement cause hey, that's against the rules) then it is what it is.  They should be able to defend themselves from the birdezillas out there.  That being said, I think we all want this to be a place where we can talk about our experiences and share what we're going through, I worry that knowing this, some people may not feel as safe to share certain opinions and ideas. And ps.. I'm still trying to get a handle on who or what to ban... lord knows I barely paid attention to those guidelines before! :) 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a terrible idea.  Vendors will lurk even more and the whole anonymity of the board will be gone, since most of post our bios with dates and now vendors will know who is giving them bad reviews.  I understand the board is open to everyone, but now vendors have a greater reason to lurk. 
  • lovemedo0676lovemedo0676 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know I am new here and don't have much credibility yet but I don't see it as such a bad thing. I am sure vendors read what's going on here all the time. I think if someone has no real life experience with a company or tells a lie and says something negative why can't the vendor defend themselves? For example, someone says "My friend went to Florist Company A and they were really rude to them." How true is that statement really? Maybe it's real or maybe it's Florist Company B trying to "anonymously" bash Florist Company A. Well what if Florist Company A reads what was said. Don't you think they would be pissed? Now if Florist Company A can't defend themselves and 100 other people read the post and don't use them because of it than it is affecting their business. I think they should be allowed to come on here. Either way Florist Company A is being mentioned so if they come on to post it's not promoting themselves it's defending their reputation and THAT I think should be permitted. JMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards