Canada

Mother of the Bride Attire

Hi guys, This sparked my train of thought while I was at the bridal show last night. My mom wanted some ideas but there wasn't a lot of information for her. My mom wants to get a nice dress, but she says she doesn't want to look like a typical "MOTB" - I guess that means no suit-like dresses? I think she just wants something nice, but not too revealing. She'd prefer not to get a dress from a formal/bridal shop to save money, but I guess she's stuck for where to look. The dresses that were featured at the bridal show yesterday were more than I payed for my dress, and in her case, she'll probably only wear this dress once as well! Anyway, enough rambling - if you guys had moms that were really hapy with their MOTB attire, could you give me some ideas as to wear she (and my future mother in law) could go? Thanks!

Re: Mother of the Bride Attire

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... well both of our moms wore traditional ethnic dresses (pics in my married bio). My mom got one Chinese dress custom made and the other off the rack, but I'm not sure where. MIL got her Indian dress in Little India. Is there any traditional wear in your culture?Places like Melanie Lynn, Laura/Laura Petites, and Fairweather always have formal dresses. I think their stuff ranges from $150 to $300+. Actually... I wonder if they're having post-summer sales now. And after Christmas they'd also have sales.Also, if she changes her mind about going to a bridal shop and does want to consider it, I'd recommend Chris & Tina's in Scarborough. They carry the typical lines (Alfred Angelo, Dessy, etc.) and their prices were the best I've found.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks - I think she's bought dresses from Laura Petites (she's short like me), but I'll suggest Melanie Lynn too! I think she wants to check out the retail shops first, but she's not completely opposed to bridal shops, either.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and no specific cultural traditions. We are getting married in a Catholic Church, but she wouldn't be wearing something very revealing anyway. She's looking for wide straps or cap sleeves - nothing strapless or spaghetti straps or plunging, and possibly tea length versus full length. Possibly a pashima or wrap for during the ceremony that is easily removed for the reception, but not a jacket.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Melanie Lynn is the higher end brand of Laura (they're the same company), so she'll probably find some of the same stuff, and some slightly pricier stuff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    My mom got her dress at Chris and Tina's too - she was happy with it, and I think it cost her $400 with alterations.  She also did not want the traditional suit style.My mother in law got her dress at the Bay, and I know my mom has gotten some decent dress from there for some weddings she went to.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom got her dress in Ancaster at a store called Kari's of Ancaster. They had some more traditional MOB stuff, but a HUGE selection of others. And they've almost always got stuff on sale.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Tocca finita in Oakville was where my mom got her dress.  It was totally not the regular MOTB dress and she looked awesome for 450$Another place to think about is Millies in HamiltonGood Luck
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my gown at Chris and Tina's and have only good things to say about them (service, prices, etc); however, I have no idea what their MOTB selection is like. My mom bought fabric in Little India and had a two piece outfit made from it (it was a short sleeved top and skirt). IMO she looked amazing - what was really great about it was that she could find something colourful and made to fit properly. Especially if your mom can find a pattern that she likes or knows something about sewing, this is the route I would recommend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • brittanywestbrittanywest member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom's dress is from love by enzoni it is not the norm and she looks hot! I want her to look just as good as me! lolCheck them out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards