Getting in Shape

Newbie!!

Hi everyone!!

I am new to this board and new to wanting to lose weight. I have read that most of you use myfitnesspal app and I just started using that too! I was curious if anyone had any website they used for different recipes? I'm getting bored with the same stuff everyday!

Also, I am looking to lose weight 15lbs or so and tone up... Would y'all recommend cardio or weight training?

I understand that losing weight has a lot to do with clean eating, but when it comes to working out I am lost!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! :

Re: Newbie!!

• WELCOME!!!

I use spark people for recipes... Super yummy and easy.
    I am not the best for workouts but the girls will help you with that. Join the accountability thread daily and add me to MFP. ChristinaN8879. We all use it.

Look forward to hearing from you more

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• Welcome to the boards! I can't recommend enough checking in at our daily accountability threads. I'm pretty bad about experimenting with new recipes but I hear you can find a wealth of ideas on Pinterest. 
  • I USED to be active, but ever since I started my new job and working overtime, I stopped. I am eager to find different ways to fit working out into my schedule. I am a member at Anytime Fitness and right now my goal is to work out 4 times a week, Mon, Wed, Fri Sun. I am not a big runner, but I love the elliptical, stair master and bike! I have also started taking the stairs, 20 flights a day, instead of the elevator. I am not really sure what type of weight training is good to do, as I have never done them. Thank you all so much already for the comments! I love this board already :
  • Nice work on the stairs!!!! GO GIRL!!
    I love your goals!!  GOOD LUCK!!!

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• edited February 2013
    Hi and welcome!

If you're pressed for time, do high-intensity interval training for cardio. So, for example, cycle (or whatever) as fast as you can for 30-60 seconds, then rest (slow down the pedalling, don't come to a dead stop), and repeat for 10 sets. It will save you time and give you more "bang for your buck" than pedalling away at the same pace for an hour.

As for weight training, focus on compound exercises - ones that use more than one muscle at a time, such as pushups, various pull variations, squats, lunges and deadlifts - rather than isolation exercises (ie. bicep curls). Your body is an integral whole and needs to be trained that way for functional strength and mobility. Free weights are the best route to take (cable machines can be good too), but if you don't have much strength and experience weight training, regular machines are a fine way to start. Ask a trainer at your gym for an intro session (many chains do them free). Or just work on developing proper form with no weights for exercises such as pushups, squats and lunges. Wall sits are great too. 

You generally want to pick a weight and do it to exhaustion (until you more or less bail on the last repetition). The general recommendations are:

1-5 reps for brute strength (and size, though as a woman you don't have to worry about bulking up)
    8-12 reps for the middle ground
    12+ reps for endurance

Whichever option you choose, aim for ~25 reps total per exercise (so 5 sets for 5 reps each, or 8x3 or 12x2). Again, these are just the standard recommendations - do whatever works best for you.

If you've never weight trained before, you will likely experience the sudden "newbie gain," but then your muscle-building progress will taper off. So don't get discouraged and start worrying that you'll turn into the Hulk or something - unless you're on roids, you won't!

Good luck!
  • Welcome! Here's another vote for MFP, and another recommendation of combining both cardio and free weights. They both have their own different benefits - ignoring either is not doing your body justice :)

Another suggestion for weights too - does your gym have any free classes you can take? Sometimes there are weight training classes/cardio combined classes or beginner weight lifting classes, where you can learn some strength training exercises and then do those on your own later on if you don't want to continue in the class!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there!

I second that for the fastest results, weight training and cardio have to be used.
    Form is really important on weight training, so I suggest reading Oxygen or Muscle and Fitness Hers Magazines, I find them to be the best for weights. Don't worry if you don't like the muscular appearance of the models, it's really hard to become that muscular. (I would know, I'm trying, lol.)
    They will also give you routines. Don't do weight that is too heavy, you should be able to complete between 8 to 20 repetitions in a set. If weight is too heavy, form will suffer, and you will see a lot of sufferers of bad form in a gym.
    I would also look around and see if there is a woman that looks like you want to look and then approach her in between exercises and ask her if she'll show you something.
    Or you could ask if a trainer is available.
    Sorry for writing a novel, I love me some weights, so I get excited when someone else wants to start.

Oh, I have also heard good things about the book New Rules Of Lifting. That might help, too.
  • I don't want to get in trouble for promoting something, but I lost 10 pounds for my wedding via a nutritional cleanse my friend introduced me too! It was SO great! The program was easy to follow and I had great success! I paired it with weight training and some cardio (more weights than cardio) and eating really clean!!! I cut out all processed food and it wasn't that HARD!! I lost 10 pounds in 11 days and I guess they say the norm is anywhere between 7-10 lbs for that cleanse. Removing toxic fluff really works :)
  • Feel free to add me on MFP, my user name is lovelyheathers over there.

I think everyone else pretty much covered everything.  Hope to see you around the accountability threads!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A couple hundred years ago our bodies could remove the toxins, but now we are just too overloaded. After cleansing I know the difference it made in my mood and body. I love it! As you begin to cleanse yourself of toxins, acidic waste and fat soluble chemicals found in many processed foods, you loose weight easier. The more toxicity you have in your body the faster you age and the harder it is to maintain a healthy weight! I think everyone can benefit from cleansing not just people looking to loose a few pounds!!! My friend just cleansed and is under 100 pounds and my husband cleanses a few times a year and is 5% body fat...that boy doesn't have any fat to loose on his body! :) I find it important to detox and cleanse your body, on a regular basis, especially with ALL the environmental toxins, chemical and toxic additives in our food and water cupply. The accumulation of free radicals and toxins can increase the chances of many chronic diseases and health problems. So it is essential to completely nourish your body regardless if you are looking for weight loss.

Everyone has a different opinion. This is just mine :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards