Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

dress/photo regrets, even years later...but...

Hi ladies,

It's been a few years since my wedding, but with friends getting married and constantly seeing my not-so-great photos around, I can't help but feel regret about my dress...

I didn't get it taken in at the top, in fear that it would be too tight and I would spill over.  Then I didn't do a very good job with the double stick tape underneath the dress, before taking pre-ceremony photos.  In some shots (even the most important ones that came out), it sticks out or looks crooked...not too much, but enough for me to notice.

I'm so particular when it comes to photos, and seeing those little things are just annoying and pick at my brain, even years later.

I've read about "bridal portraits", and even opportunities to wear the dress again at parties and benefits.  I want to...in this non-conventional day and age, and considering how much I spent on it, I should be able to do pretty much anything I want, including wearing it again. 

How cheesy would it be to have a "do over" photo shoot?  Get the dress altered and fitted right  (at this point, it would still fit me well, thankfully).  Get my hair done and nicer than on my wedding day.  Maybe go somewhere even more special on an anniversary and renew our vows...just hubby and me, and perhaps a friend to take photos?
(6 years married but back on theknot because I'll soon be MOH and weddings are on the brain)

Re: dress/photo regrets, even years later...but...

• If you can afford it and it will make you feel better...why not?  Only one suggestion.  If you are going to all that trouble, hire a professional photographer!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Actually, I was considering a pro.  That's just me downplaying my excitement.
    (6 years married but back on theknot because I'll soon be MOH and weddings are on the brain)
  • Ditto pp. A lot of girls are doing the trash the dress after their weddings, but I preserved mine I love it so much. What about doing a vow renewal or something and wearing your dress or just going with your original idea? I think it would be fine, that way you will still have your original photos and the new ones.
  • I think that would be fine.  Especially if it would make you happier about your pictures.

I plan on doing a TTD session as soon as the weather cools down because there were a few pictures my photographer missed on the wedding day.
  • Thanks!  Sorry, but what is TTD session?  I'm not caught up with acronyms.

My photographer definitely missed key photos of DH and me.  There aren't more than a few pictures that reflect how close/romantic or even zany we are.  Just a few formals taken at different angles and distances, which IMO, don't really compliment me/us.
  • TTD -- Trash the Dress
  • If it will make you feel better go for it,but like pp said hire a professional photog,

i am thinking about wearing my dress again when we renew our vows for our 5 yr anniversary on a cruise.
  • I totally understand the photo regret. We got our engagement photos back and in some of them I just wish we had angled a little different or done this or that. I am going to work with my photog a lot before the wedding to make sure we don't have any photo regret from our wedding day!
  • It doesn't make sense to me. You were married years ago. The new photos will not be your wedding photos just you in your bridal gown.
  • awit77awit77 member
    First Comment
    i agree with pps. if it will make you feel better, go for it!
    revised
    bio! (updated 08.18.10)
  • definitely go for it!  even if you don't renew vows, it would be a great thing to do around your anniversary and a great gift to yourselves. i think you will get some great shots now that the "wedding day jitters" aren't there. 

p.s. good for you for still being able to fit into your dress :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Totally do it! It sounds like something fun to plan and to look forward to! Congratulations
    Anniversary
  • [QUOTE]definitely go for it!  even if you don't renew vows, it would be a great thing to do around your anniversary and a great gift to yourselves. i think you will get some great shots now that the "wedding day jitters" aren't there.  p.s. good for you for still being able to fit into your dress :) 
    Posted by horae4me[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!   You're so right, horae4me.  I was nervous on my wedding day.  I stayed so collected and didn't allow myself to let all my emotions flow out of me, it really shows alongside all the other little flaws...for lack of a better term...like the wrong-colored bouquet, a slight makeup malfunction, and weird uncomplimentary angles. 
  • I have some friends who take photos in their wedding gear on every anniversary.  She blogged about it here  That shoot was carnival themed...but they have done traditional pics too.  I say go for it!
  • jessfontjessfont member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    [QUOTE]I have some friends who take photos in their wedding gear on every anniversary.  She blogged about it here   That shoot was carnival themed...but they have done traditional pics too.  I say go for it!
    Posted by bigvoice3[/QUOTE]

Love love that photo shoot!  Their look is adorably retro classic!  Thanks for sharing this.  It gives me more confidence and inspiration to take photos again.
  • I was very disappointed with my photographer and we got very few shots of us that I loved. I can barely fill a photo album with good pictures. On our one year anniversary, I definitely plan on hiring a professional to take some shots of us, not in my dress but oh well.

So I say go for it!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I like that!

My dress was like yours a little too loose at the top.  Double stick tape was 85% effective.  But, I am seriously thinking about having the dress altered and wearing it again.
  • It's been month and the only thing I'm upset about is our pictures - which, unfortunately was the most important "service" to me.  Our photographer promised 600 edited photos and we got 350 and he won't even put the others that he doesn't like on the CD he's giving us.  He didn't direct any of the bridal party shots after the ceremony and kept asking me to suggest things - which was a huge stressor for me!  Thankfully two GM had wives with them to help.  He only took about 4 different shots of H and me and everything looks way too formal.  My shots with bridesmaids look like we don't know each other.  I was super upset with those and every time I look at others pictures, I find more to be upset about.  I am so happy, however, that we got a videographer.  He did an amazing job and caught a lot of moments that our photographer wasn't around for, apparently.  Definitely meet with the photographer many, MANY times before the date!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards