Maine

Bulk flowers

I'm feeling motivated to make my own floral centerpieces to help the budget.  Is anyone else trying DIY floral centerpieces?  Or have suggestions on inexpensive/creative floral for Maine spring wedding???

Re: Bulk flowers

• edited December 2011
    I will be making my own centerpices, bridal/bridesmaid bouquets and any other floral stuff I need for the wedding. I love this kind of stuff so I am really excited. While I havn't made them for my own wedding yet I have made them for two friends weddings both the night before (however I think mine I will do two days before so they can really open and bloom) I have been doing research online for different places here are a few I've come across www.flowerexchange.com www.bloomsbythebox.com www.growersbox.com you can also watch videos on Youtube on how to make them You can get great vases and fillers here www.jamaligarden.comwww.saveoncrafts.comIf your not far from NH I highly reccomend a day trip to Grennon Trading in Bedford NH its a full warehouse full of everything you need to decorate and if you spend $30 or more your whole order becomes 50% off!hope this helps
  • edited December 2011
    I know many people go either the silk flowers route (which I didn't think saved a ton of money, but maybe I looked at the wrong sites?) or they go bulk from Sam's or Shaw's or similar.I didn't use floral centerpieces, so I am not much help, I guess. To save money, I made themed tables (instead of numbers) and used items I had around the house or bought at yard sales and the dollar store. I bought plastic shoe boxes at Target for a dollar, wrapped 'em in glossy white wrapping paper (from the dollar store) to use as "stands" to elevate the displays. Then I had my items put on top and/or around. I had a Red Sox table, for example, using a Red Sox book, my Red Sox nutcracker, a Red Sox baseball, and a Red Sox garter that I had bought but didn't use. Oh, and I bought table runners for $2 each online in the various colours of my wedding. I had 10 tables and I think I spent a grand total of $35 to decorate all 10.
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to do my own centerpieces too! I don't know exactly yet where I'm going to get the flowers, but I was thinking of ordering them through Sam's Club. I lucked out because my venue has vases that I can use, so I mostly just have to spend for the flowers.I heard from my venue's coordinator that there is some farm in New Gloucester where you can cut as many flowers as you want for $100. He didn't remember the name of it, but I'm thinking it was maybe Pineland Farms. But maybe someone else knows about it? If I find out, I'll let you know -- are you near New Gloucester at all? If you google flower farm near your location, you might find a place where they do cut-your-own flowers. I have no idea if this is inexpensive or not, but worth looking into. You'd probably have to be satisfied with just going and getting whatever they have in season, instead of setting your heart on a particular flower.Using potted plants as centerpieces will be cheaper than cut flowers, too, and you can paint the pots or wrap them in pretty paper or fabric to dress them up.Also, another bride on here had centerpieces that I loved and would be inexpensive -- a tall vase full of water with one submerged daisy. Each vase had a few candles around it. It was very cool-looking, and one flower per centerpiece would be a budget saver. If I can find the pic again, I'll post it!Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • kay0003kay0003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great suggestions, I love the idea of cutting my own flowers, and I don't have my heart set on ONE particular kind of flower.  Only problem I could see with that is you would have to devote enough time a couple days before the wedding to go get them all... but could be fun to do with bridesmaids :-) I'll check out those websites and keep you posted, I think I'll do a trial in the next month or two and post photos I'm feeling encouraged by your responses!
  • jlsimpson46jlsimpson46 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too will be doing my own floral centerpieces and bouquets. I will be ordering from Sam's Club. They are soo much cheaper than anywhere else I have found and they have tons of great reviews! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I did my own centerpieces! I had one tall vase with 3 orange gerbera daisies and two smaller vases that had pinecones and tea lights in them. Sounds weird I know, but they were absolutely gorgeous and so affordable! I'll post pictures of them when I get the rest of my pro pics back!
  • kay0003kay0003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    angeliza- where did you buy your flowers?
  • edited December 2011
    We did the centerpieces for both of my sister's weddings and we're doing mine!  My cousin has an artistic touch, so she really did all the arranging, but she got the flowers from Sam's both times and they were perfect.  I'm using those blue ball jars you see in antique shops and just putting a simple bouquet in each.  One of my sisters had hurricane lamps as the main piece and just a little bud vase to accent it, and the other sister got a variety of different enamel pots and bowls and arranged flowers around a ball jar and candle in the middle.  She just got some of that green florist foam and stuck them in!  It was lovely and looked like it was glowing.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, left out that important detail, I got my flowers from Whole Foods. They were gorgeous, and really affordable!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards