African American Weddings

Should I send out invitations???

FI and I decided to have a destination wedding at Sandals Montego Bay Resort, to save money. We decided to book the wedding 1 year out to give family and friends time to save and go with us. Well, it's sad to say that we will probably be going alone. Most of the family and friends made no attempt to save for traveling and made the immediate decision not to come. In knowing this, does it make sense to send out invitations? If I do send them out, it'll be basically to inform everyone of our wedding website and registry.We knew that everyone would not be able to come, but didn't expect people to immediately turn it down (even with 1 year to pay for it). At the end of the day, we have excepted the fact that it"ll probably just be us and the minister...which is totally ok.

Re: Should I send out invitations???

• edited December 2011
    I am sorry that your family and friends won't be there for your day but know that they love you guys and will be there in spirit. It's rough for a lot of people right now economically but like you said at the end of the day you kind of knew this could happen so all you can do now is focus on making this DW the best it can be for you and FI. I would send out something to let everyone know where we are registered and the website but I don't think it should be in the form of an invitation since no one is planning to attend you know what I mean? Create something similar to a STD (save the date) but word it differently to fit what you want to say. This is a tough one but I hope I gave you a head start on what you should do.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear that about your family.  But most of my guests probably won't be able to come either just because this is such a bad time economically for everyone...and we're getting married in the good ol' USA.  But have a blast in Montego Bay.  You have to go to Margueritaville (If it's still there).  It's night club there, kinda touristy there, but when I went in college it was the place to be!  As for your question.  I agree with mrsclintonsfirstlady, I think some kind of save the date wedding announcements would be nice, because you never know, some of your family member's financial situations may take a turn for the better in a year's time.
  • Lady05Lady05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that. You and your FI will have a blast. Its really hard for people now and days especially financially. I would still be creative and send something out to family and friends but just not an invitation. I agree w. of pp some like a save the date but worded differently. Are you planning on having anything when you return from the DW?
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear your family can't make the trip, I know it's a bit disheartening even though you accepted just having the 2 of you. I agree with pp to send something out. Maybe you all could have your reception at home and send out invitations for that. Something like thisWe got married away at Montego BayPlease join us....You can fill in the blanks.Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    We sent out save the date magnets once we agreed on the wedding date and location. I printed out the invitations and have stuffed the envelopes, but I think I"ll take you both of you ladies' advice and send out something a little different with just the website and registry information. This has been an extremely stress-free planning process and I want to keep it that way.
  • edited December 2011
    We will not be having a reception, but have decided to send out CDs with pictures from the trip. We want to focus strictly on the marriage and save money. We are also planning on creating a wedding album for our parents, sibblings and best friends.
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a nice idea sdstephens2010
  • edited December 2011
    I think you should only send out invitations to close family and friends.  Send out announcements to the other people.  You never know who will show up.  We are having a great turn out.  Most of our guests are not staying for many days but they will be at our wedding in December.  You have a good amount of time for people to make a decision.  Dont count them out!  I just had one our guest book their plane ticket a hour ago and our wedding is in two months.  Stay positive.  You too will not end up going alone in Jamaica.  And if so, the two most important people will be their.  Let me know if I can help. 
  • edited December 2011
    Khaligumbs, you're so right. Invitations for a DW are supposed to be sent out 6 months before the wedding. I think I am going to send out travel & registry information, as well as the wedding website link.
  • edited December 2011
    How many people were you discussing this with that said they can't come? If it's a handful, you can still send your invites as a gesture.I'd send an announcement with the website on it so people can keep tabs on what you're doing. Don't put the registry on it, but on the website is fine. Putting it on the announcement or invite will look like you're asking for gifts (which I know, a registry is technically asking for gifts) but still. =)Are you having an at-home reception so you can celebrate with everyone once you're married?
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you send invites to immediate family Moms, Dads, brothers & sisters & wedding announcements when you get back to everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards