Massachusetts-Boston

tea staining a veil

So I decided to make my veil (I know how to sew I'm not just crazy). Its finger tip length tulle with a handsewn lace edge with pearls that perfectly matches my dress. Only problem. My dress is ivory (its WAY lighter than the ivory tulle/lace so making an ivory veil isn't an option) and my veil is white. So I'm planning on tea staining it, how the used to make ivory gowns before mass production. Obvi I'm going to do a trillion test samples before doing it on my veil. But has anyone done this before? And suggestions on what tea to use?

Re: tea staining a veil

• w8tilucmew8tilucme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you take it to the place where you bought your dress for recommendations?
  • edited December 2011
    I've tea stained paper before but never lace. I guess just watch it and don't keep it in too long. The longer its in the darker the color. Also, make sure to dry it flat. As for the type of tea, I've always just used whatever I had in the house. Gl and let us know how it comes out!
  • edited December 2011
    I've tea-stained and dyed a ton of stuff before (paper, fabric, etc. - I studied surface design for awhile) and the type of tea you use, and getting the balance right, is critical. Also, different fabrics take color/staining differently, based on their compositions. For example, the tulle may come out one color, but the lace edging could come out a different color based on how much cotton/nylon/etc. is used to make it. So you could dye the whole thing together and it could come out 2 different colors. Not knocking the tea-staining, and I think it's courageous of you to 1. make your own veil and 2. attempt staining it, but just wanted to throw some things to think about out there! Have you thought of having it dyed? Shoes to Dye For in Natick dyes veils, and they have a million different shades of ivory to choose from! It's not very expensive either. Just wouldn't want to see all your hard work get ruined!
  • edited December 2011
    I asked a few places about having it dyed but all places I asked said they don't dye veils. I'm actually already heading to Shoes to Dye for later this week (they ordered me ballet flats what I'm going to dye powder blue). I'll def ask when I go. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    There are definitely places that will dye a veil---I remember getting accosted by all of them at the Bridal Expos :-)I would definitely get it done. Doing it yourself could be a risky endeavor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards