Ohio-Cincinnati

Themes?

So I have narrowed my themes down to Winter Wonderland or Fairytale. But I am getting married on 10.10.10 do you think it is too early to do winter wonderland? Also does anyone know anyone that does draping inside a banquet hall? I am getting married and having my reception at The Elements but I want the look of both rooms to be very different. My wedding I want it to be a simple sophisticated wedding look and then my reception I want Winter Wonderland. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to make this happen? Any centerpiece ideas? Has anyone seen or done this before? Also, I wanted to do a Grooms Cake. Are a lot of people doing that these days? Do you cut that the same time as our regular cake or is that more of a surprise? Thanks!

Re: Themes?

• rschuckmanrschuckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Google Winter Wonderland Weddings and you will find a lot and be able to get good ideas. As far as draping the banquet room, great idea!!! You will probably need to hire a rental company like Camargo Rental, Accent on Cincinnati, or All Occasions Rental.  For centerpieces, I think it would be cool if you spraypainted manzanita branches white or a silverish color (very winter looking) and use lots of candles.  Baby's breath will also giving a very winterish look and it is very cheap!I love the idea of doing a groom's cake.  Tradition says that you should present it to your new groom as a surprise and present.  Perhaps right when you two are getting ready to do the cake cutting ceremony, you could have it brought out from the kitchen and surprise him.  Usually the cake is related to the groom's favorite hobby, sports team, etc.  You can have the banquet hall cut it when they cut your main wedding cake and serve it to the guests.  It can serve as extra cake and an extra flavor.  Tradition says single ladies should be sent home with a slice of the groom's cake in a box, put it next to their pillow and then they will have luck in finding a man!E-mail me if you need anymore help.  I took a wedding planning course through the Association of Bridal Consultants this summer and am happy to help. ReneeRschuck23@aol.com
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you haven't already decided on your bridesmaids attire, I would recommend finding dresses in a gunmetal/charcoal/slate color.  It works for fall and winter!Black always works too.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I just wanted to say that having a theme is not required, especially not if it's going to stress you out with the planning. But if you're excited about this and want to do this, power to you, girl. And who cares what time of year it is, it's your wedding, do what you like. But I think it's a good idea to stay away from really literal interpretations of winter like snowflakes and instead use winter colors and the general idea of the sparkle of snow and ice. You can add some blue lighting in places to create drama. If you like crystals, you could hang those off the Manzanita branches PP suggested. I also love the idea of gunmetal as an accent color. I wanted to use it for my wedding but ended up using gold because my venue already has a lot of gold/brass in it. If you're looking for inspiration check out Preston Bailey. His work is really over the top and not at all affordable but you might be able to borrow an idea here and there. Here are a couple of links for winter wonderland weddings he designed, sorry they're not clickable: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_czxxmE3UBNo/SZNX1ZEt5uI/AAAAAAAAALY/fv8L4W6PCE4/s400/112807_bailey13_a.jpg http://www.polkadotbride.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/prestonbaileywinterwonderland.jpg Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Preston Bailey did a winter wonderland theme wedding for Melissa Rivers at Joan Rivers' request, lol.  Anywho, it was gorgeous.  I have all of PB's books!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but ditto IG.Personally, I think it's one thing to want your wedding to have a "feel," and quite another for it to have a "theme."To me, a winter "feel" involves cool tones (white, silvers, blues, greys), bare branches, crystals, etc, while a "theme" would have things like snowflakes, snowmen, etc. -- things that I personally think are less appropriate at a grown, sophisticated couple's wedding celebration.If you're wanting the simple sophisticated look, I'd nix the theme and just go with how winter feels to you.All that being said, if you really want to have it be more theme-y, do it.  It's up to you.  Your wedding, your choice.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs.  We had an old Vegas feel, but it wasn't our theme.  It may have ended up looking that way, but it wasn't my intention.  It may be a little early for winter (with snowflakes and that stuff), but the colors mentioned would be gorgeous.We did a grooms cake.  The real reason we did was because our cake was cheesecake and some of our guests didn't like cheesecake (the horror).  I surprised DH with the design, but he knew he was getting one.  It was cut and plated the same time our cake was. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I think will go for more the winter feel than the winter theme. Also when I am choosing my grooms cake how many people do i order for? Any Ideas or thoughts? He LOVES LOVES LOVES the Bengals so I am thinking of Bengals themed grooms cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards