Students

Staying Motivated

What are everyone's tips for staying motivated in school?  I've had a really hard time with that so far this semester, I just feel so blasé about it all - I probably just failed my Linguistics test because I can't seem to find any "oomph" to do what needs to be done.  I'd rather take a nap than do my homework, even if I've already slept for eleven hours.  Even the threat of lowering my lovely GPA doesn't seem to be doing it for me right now!Does anyone have any tips or advice??
Anniversary

Re: Staying Motivated

• Graduation is my main motivation. That and knowing that if I don't do well here, the chance of me getting into a dental school goes right down the drain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • Yep graduation for me too. I've been in school waaay too long to not have some sort of degree.
  • I have the same problem. There are other things that I would much rather be doing. Idk if this would fit with you or not but the one thing that helps to get me re-focused is my job. I am waitress at a crappy restaurant where the managers treat us bad and the customers treat us worse, so basically every day that I go into work it is motivation to do well in school so I can graduate and get a real job so I don't have to be a waitress for the rest of my life...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know how long you have till graduation, but maybe you could take a semester or 2 off from school.  I did that as an undergrad and was then really motivated once I got back in school.  Plus, knowing that I had to just finish that semester was motivation to get at least passing grades so I could be re-admitted or transfer schools. 
  • Hm.  These suggestions made me think about it a little more - part of the problem may be that I don't know when I'm going to graduate.  I've got about six classes left for my major, but I don't know when those classes will be offered... they say they offer them at certain semesters, and then they just... don't.  It kind of puts a damper on things, because I don't feel like I have an end date to shoot for, you know?
    Anniversary
  • Well have you talked to an advisor or the professors who teach those courses? Maybe you could do an independent study as needed.  I mean, how can the school expect you and others to graduate if they aren't offering what you need.  Maybe you can find out if there are other classes in the program you substitute for what's not being offered?
  • I had the same problem because classes weren't offered I know will be getting married smack dab in the middle of student teaching. (Which is a long story for another day). My daughter keeps me motivated and the fact that my fiance has been waiting for me to finish so we can get married!! How sweet huh?!! I haven't been very motivated since we set the date though and it doesn't help that all three of us have bronchitis right now. My suggestion: Keep a planner and write out when what's due for what class. Work ahead when you can so you'll have a few easy weekends (maybe). And check off each day, especially the classes you don't like. This is what really keeps me focused!! GL! 10/10/10 Bride!!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Those are both really good ideas - I'll be making a adviser appointment ASAP, as well as some kind of schedule to keep me on track.  Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards