Massachusetts-Boston

Favorite fall recipes

I think the cold weather today is making me crave pumpkin flavored things and apple pie and soup.  Any good recipes for fall stuff?

Re: Favorite fall recipes

• edited December 2011
    Ooh I can't think of any right off the bat but I will say that Brueggars has an awesome pumpkin spice coffee - hot or iced!  And I love it b/c they are actually cheaper than DD.  Makes me feel less guilty getting coffee pretty much every morning.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh good call!  I love the SBUX pumpkin spice lattes but then I can't eat lunch bc of all the calories lol.  I'll have to try that, there's one right near work.
  • Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a crock pot? I couldn't live without mine this time of year. I have two, actually! Here are some of my faves: Porkchops and potatoes - Throw porkchops in crock pot with some salt, pepper, nutmeg and applesauce. Roast red baby potatoes with some salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Roast - Put a round roast and chunked carrots, onions and potatoes into pot, season with salt, pepper, cup of beef broth. Whole chicken and beer - Put whole chicken (or breasts or whatever kind of chicken you like) in pot, seasoned with salt, pepper, rosemary and onion powder. Pour a bottle of your favorite beer in and enjoy! Try pumpkin beer or something seasonal for flavor, but any beer works. I also love doing butternut squash soup. You can get the soup at Trader Joe's or whole foods, and I like to cook up and throw in chunks of chicken, celery, carrots, potatoes and some spices like pepper and nutmeg. I love this seasos, it's my favorite time of year to cook! I try to post as many successful recipes to my blog as possible, so I'll post them here too!
  • edited December 2011
    Shazz- PERFECT!  I kind of want to try all of those.  I'll look on your blog.
  • edited December 2011
    My best friend, bm, and former knottie has an awesome food blog... here's all of her pumpkin and winter squash recipes. http://carascravings.blogspot.com/search/label/Pumpkinhttp://carascravings.blogspot.com/search/label/Winter%20SquashHave fun browsing!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, I'll have to check your friend's out, october. Thanks! My blog's a bit of a shmorgasbord right now. One of the many things I need to get organized in my life...:P I also tried sweet potatoes roasted in maple syrup over the weekend. To. Die. For.
  • edited December 2011
    I. AM. STARVING.  ;)  Ekobs, please cook for me tonight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Umm I am SO HUNGRY right now!
  • edited December 2011
    Ha, E I posted at the same time as you
  • edited December 2011
    I saw these on the nest "what's for dinner" a little while ago, and I've been dreaming of them since. I haven't tried them yet, but REALLY a pumpkin whoopie pie? YES PLEASE I don't know how to make it clicky.... sorry! http://erinsfoodfiles.blogspot.com/2009/09/pumpkin-whoopie-pies.html
    12/12/2009
  • edited December 2011
    I have a pot roast going on right now.  For the sauce, I mix a pack of italian dressing powder, ranch dressing powder and brown gravy powder + water.  I know it sounds super gross, but it's quite delicious.  Trust me!Add meat and the usual suspects like rutabaga (it's back!), carrots, potatoes, turnips, cabbage, celery, etc.  Add frozen peas and corn during the last 1/2 hour.  Total cook time = 8 hrs on lo.  Turn the sauce into gravy and plop everything over egg noodles.  I never grew up with this type of food, but it has definitely become my new comfort food and DH loves it too.Also, I've added Paula Deen's fried chicken into my repetoire and I love it!!
  • edited December 2011
    haha Paula Dean!  So unhealthy, so delicious
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fool, that sounds so good. It's usually the weird sounding combinations that are the most delicious.
  • edited December 2011
    Shazzie - have you tried the slow cooker packets from the spices section? There's a BBQ pork one for pulled pork that is SO delish! Its not really BBQ-y either which is why I really like it! They also have a good beef stew one, which is so good for fall, I love my crock pot!Favorite fall thing to make would have to be apple pie :) or apple dumplings!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Bio -Updated 7/11 image 175 Invited image 140 Partying it up! image 17 Not going to be there image 18 Unknown
    RSVP Date July 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    alnp, I haven't tried them. I'm weary of using them because FI has a gluten allergy and it's usually found in stuff like that. I have never made my own pie. I think I found my weekend project.
  • edited December 2011
    Ekobs - you are evil...Aren't you the oreo balls one too? If so, let me tell you...Your balls have a following...Especially with my office. I even have a co-worker who ventured out and tried the things with mint oreo cookies. I tried them once and brought them in for an office party and can't even tell you how many times people have requested I bring in the balls....Ever since that day I have developed an "oreo ball" following and I owe it all to you!
  • edited December 2011
    i make a carrot and parsnip soup that i can't get enough of this time of year.  you need about 6 small red skin potatoes, half a white onion (minced really small), one large parsnip, some butter, about 6-7 carrots and 6 cups of chicken stock.you start by melting the butter in a large stock pot.  then add the chopped potatoes and onions and coat them in butter (i also add salt and pepper at this point).  put paper towels between the pot and the lid and sweat the veggies for about 5 minutes.  peel the carrots and parsnip, chop, then add to the potatoes and onions and sweat them for another 5 minutes.  add stock and cook until all veggies are soft.  once done, blend until smooth.it's sooo good (especially if you serve with a nice, crusty bread on a cool evening!!)  mmm

...hello out there!
    imageimage
    dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    2 rounds of clomid and 1 round of femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    02/13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response.... everything crossed for that BFP!
  • edited December 2011
    i made corn chowder the other night and it was fabulous and so simple. saute chopped onions with butter. cut up red skinned potatoes and throw in a pot with some chopped carrots. cover with water and bring to a boil/veggies are cooked. then throw in some corn (frozen or canned), milk, onions, whatever seasonings...whatever. i like making it because it's impossible to mess up and it's so freaking good. also, we are obsessed with popovers....seriously do yourselves a favor and buy a popover pan and your life will change!
  • edited December 2011
    somebody mention apple dumplings...that was exactly what I was thinking of!  FI Fav:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Dumplings-with-Rich-Cinnamon-Sauce/Detail.aspxAlso there is this weight watchers 1 pt chili--google it, soooo easy and yummy!
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Pumpkin waffles make it feel like fall for me.  Mmm!  Had tealuxe's pumpkin spice chai today--so yummy!!Here's the waffle recipe:2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 2 cups milk (or soymilk--my husband and I are lactose intolerant :p) 15 oz pureed pumpkin, fresh or canned 1/3 cup oil1/3 cup brown sugar 2 teaspoons vanillaPreheat waffle iron.Mix (or sift if lumpy) flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices.  In a separate bowl vigorously whisk milk, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until it is all well blended.  Pour the wet into the dry and mix until just combined.  ...It's a big recipe, but they freeze well.  Or you can halve it.  Soooo yummy!  And, if you want to make it healthier, substitute some of the flour for whole wheat pastry flour (to make it whole grain), and substitute some of the oil with yogurt. 
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    Liz - DH's family is British and yorkshire pudding (popovers) are a staple around the holidays - love it!  One of the main reasons I always loved Anthoy's Pier 4 so it was nice to be able to have our RD there.
  • edited December 2011
    Look up Pumpkin Whoopie Pies on allrecipes.com  FMIL makes them. They are awesome!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards