Attire & Accessories Forum

Not having a white dress

Is there anyone on here who has decided to not have a white dress for their wedding day, or knows someone who has done this? My concerns really aren't about what my family and friends will think, it is more about what to tell the consultants at the dress shop when I finally go to try on dresses (I have a bit of time yet, so I have just been looking at some dresses online, to get an idea of what I would like). Do I have to tell them that I am shopping for a wedding dress, which I wouldn't think I would have to, but I also don't want to lie to them if they ask what event I'm getting it for

Re: Not having a white dress

• If you go to a bridal salon I think they'll assume that you're looking for a wedding dress. If you go to a regular store that sells evening gowns then I don't think you need to specify that it's for a wedding. But, I also don't think mentioning the wedding would increase the price of the dress if that's what you're worried about.
  • I don't understand why you wouldn't want to tell them or why you'd feel that you would need to lie to them.  Can you just tell them that you are looking for a colored wedding gown?  One of the ladies who worked at a bridal shop I visited told me that it's becoming more and more common that brides would come in to the store asking for a colored dress.  Sorry if I am not getting what your concern is.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do you want a "wedding gown" that's white with some color in it? http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=2039e191-e45b-4b44-bba1-6a2ac07f9712&categoryID=8b186130-0d63-4e3c-ac5c-aea0d9566e1c&pg=0Or a gown in a color other than white? Something like this? http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?pageSize=100&style=J1288If so, a lot of bridal designers carry colored gowns now. I'm sure many salons won't care what color you get as long as you're giving them your business. It seems to be a growing trend, so I'm sure salons are getting more and more used to this. Or do you want a nice evening gown? Maybe along these lines (I was thinking of this one myself): http://www.bluefly.com/Amsale-olive-beaded-satin-empire-waist-gown/cat20112/214594500/detail.flyIf so, ditto PP - just go to a boutique or shop online, and no need to mention that it's a wedding dress. If they're not a salon then they probably won't care what you use the dress for, as long as you buy it. Or do you want a BM dress in your desired color? http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=9a8c8090-efd9-4e19-9d12-52190d8a0951&categoryID=772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65&pg=0If you think a salon would push you toward a traditional white wedding gown, just say you need a formal gown for a nice event and decided to look into BM dresses, which isn't a lie at all. But I would think any place would just be happy to have your business. If they keep pushing you to something you don't want, try saying, "I can either buy the dress of my choice here and give you my business, or I can leave and buy absolutely nothing from you. So are you going to help me or not?"
  • My main concern was what someone had mentioned-that the sales person would get pushy about me wearing something other than white. Good to know that more and more brides are wearing colored gowns, so that it won't really be anything new. thanks everyone!
  • Yeah -it will be fine. I don't think that you will have any issues. As long as you go to a bridal salon and choose a designer that has bridal dresses that can come in a different color or than white/ivory. Maggie Sottero has a few dresses in pink and red. A girl just drought a pink gown on Say Yes to the Dress ..and a know someone who had their dress dyed. HTH
  • Personally if the salesperson gets pushy and trying to make you choose something that you dont want id go to another bridal store. I had a horrible experience at davids bridal with that and dress shopping was too exciting for me to stay there and deal with that, i went to a different bridal salon and my experience was so much better, my consultant really listened to what i wanted. I only wanted to try on ivory or white gowns but there was one gown with color that i couldnt help but love its called Rasharna by Maggie Sottero...i didnt get to try it on because my store didnt have it but its gorgeous...they make it in the blush pink color shown on her site and ivory and white and its just gorgeous in the pink color...anyways i hope you find exactly what youre looking for!
  • My main concern was what someone had mentioned-that the sales person would get pushy about me wearing something other than white. I'm sure there are some closed-minded salespeople out there who think that a bride HAS to wear white. I think a lot of them would also be concerned that you're going to buy a BM dress or a regular evening gown, though, because those typically retail for less than bridal gowns and that means less of a profit for them.  Ditto PP who said that you don't need to give pushy places your business. I'm sure there are plenty of salons and boutiques out there that will gladly take your money for any dress you choose to spend it on.
  • I agree. The consultants job is to help you find a dress YOU want to wear, not what they want you to wear. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are concerned they are going to push you into an expensive bridal gown rather than let you buy an evening dress or formal BM dress (which are cheaper), then I'd just tell them that you are looking for a formal dress in x style, etc. If you want an actual wedding dress, just colored, ask them which styles come in alternate colors. Alfred Angelo has several that I know of. It really depends on the level of formality and what you are looking for in a dress.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • First, I am not wearing a white dress.  How boring!  I had no problems walking into each store I walked in and said, "I'm looking for a dress that comes in pink."  And guess what?  No one had a problem finding me what I need.  Maggie Sottero Victoriana in Pearl Rose.  Check out the Maggie Sottero website, and go to the Maggie brides section.  You will see that many brides choose to wear dresses in pink, red, gold, and blue!  There is nothing wrong with wearing a non-white dress! 
    Dr. Googs is married to Mr. Pelvis. Happily ever after!
  • When I started dress shopping I did lots of internet window shopping and found a sweat pea green dress from alfred angelo. this started my search for a non-white dress. Many dress shops tried steering me towards maggie dresses but my budget just wouldn't allow it. so more internet window shopping. I looked at BM dresses with little trains and all the colos things come in. I typed in google pink wedding dresses or non-white wedding dresses. When I found the one I went back to the dress shop and the constultant there was more than helpful to obtain the dress I wanted in thecolor I wanted. I was never pushed by anyone to buy a white dress except the FMIL and she has come around. GL and do what you want this is your day.
  • Great topic, exactly what I came to this board to find.I will not wear a white dress, for a few reasons.   I am thinking red, red and white, or a silver/graphite evening dress.  Wear what you want.  It's your wedding! 
  • I'm not wearing white!You have to wear what makes you comfortable and make sure that are you happy with your dress. That's all that truly matters.Also.. I second the Maggie Sottero selections.. she has great dresses that aren't white.. but still have the 'look' of a wedding dress. David's Bridal and AA have a few style BM dresses that have trains if you want to go with something more simple and budget friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards