Retro and Vintage Weddings

Wedding superstitions--coin in your shoe

Since I consider "old wives tales" to be vintage, I thought I'd post some of the interesting wedding superstitions and their origins, that I've come across.Here's one involving the coin that many brides place inside their left shoe.  (Most know it from the rhyme, Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and a sixpence in your shoe).  Here's why!SILVER IN THE SHOE:1774 [Islay, Hebrides] The bridegroom to avert harm [of his rival's spell] puts a sixpence beneath his foot. 1814 [Scottish Highlands] It is deemed necessary for a young woman, who has had many suitors, to wear a piece of silver in one of her shoes from the time of her marriage till after she is kirked [gone to her first church service as a new wife], lest the malignant glance of a disappointed lover's eye should have a physical effect on her constitution.  1939 [Dublin] [On her wedding morning] she was ready for any emergency, so she was, having with her something old and something new, something borrowed and something blue, and a lucky sixpence in her shoe.1946 'Something old, Something new, Something Borrowed, Something blue, And a silver sixpence In your shoe.'  The coin should be worn in the left shoe and will then bring luck.1958 [New Malden, Surrey] My mother comes from Stornoway [Outer Hebrides] and she put sixpence in my shoe for my 11-plus exam.  GOLD COIN OR COIN IN THE SHOE:1961 [Malton] The bridegroom's father] told me that Miss King asked for a sovereign as there were none in her family.  'I took it with me . . and gave it to her, but she only put it inside her shoe.  I told her it should be placed inside the stocking, so she went and changed it.' 1978 [Durham] When she got married she 'walked on gold' to ensure prosperity, by taping a half sovereign to the instep of her shoe.*All info found in the Oxford Dictionary of Superstitions.
Our Wedding Website
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Wedding superstitions--coin in your shoe

• My mother had a penny in her left shoe when she was married.  I don't think I will be doing this.  I can't imagine it being comfortable or staying put.. since I plan on wearing open toe heels.
  • What an interesting post.  I don't think I've ever heard of the coin in the shoe one. 
  • I'm going to have to find a way to tape it to my shoe since I'm wearing the same penny my mom used in her shoe when she married my dad. Maybe making it an anklet somehow? Any suggestions ladies??
    Finally a Mrs! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You mean you're afraid of losing it?  I'd suggest putting it right inside your stocking if you're wearing them!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards