Maine
Options

Photographers

Hi Ladies, I'm getting ready to meet with some photographers next week and I'm look for some advice. I'm not really sure what questions to ask them, or how much time I should set aside for each appointment. I want somebody that's good, that I feel comfortable with, and that has experience, but I also have limited budget as me and my FI are paying for the photographer. Any pointers would be extremely helpful. Also have any of you worked with or seen Roxanne Ashey, Kim Chapman, Steve Fairfield, or Tsukroff at a wedding? I have appointments set up with each of them.

Re: Photographers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    you could ask them how many pictures they generally take, what kind of equipment they use, if you will have the rights to your photos so you can print them on your own (usually much cheaper), how many weddings they've done before, etc.also, we are in the same boat as far as trying to keep the budget way down. check out clare norton, she came highly recommended from four of my co-workers. we met with her the other day and she's the sweetest person, and has been doing wedding photography for three years now. she has one package and it's completely reasonable, and you have the rights to all your photos. we booked her on the spot!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Those are all good questions.  In addition, ask how long through the reception they stay (if that's important to you).  Ask them to show you some photos from some of their favorite weddings they've shot as well as some of their most recent weddings, so you can compare "favorites in the portfolio" to all recent weddings.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We met with Roxanne Ashey. She's definitely a pro, been doing it a long time, and told us that this year she's going to a special conference for (wedding?) photographers. I also believe she's one of a handful of Maine wedding photographers who's a member of the Wedding Photojournalist Association. We really liked her, but her prices were over $2,000, which was just too high for us.Never met with Kim Chapman, but FI emailed her, and I believe her prices are even higher (like $3,000). But i'm not positive.We are using Clare, and we love her! She just did our e-pics. She's $1,500, and she's really nice and talented. We really clicked with her. One thing we really liked about her is that she stays through all the dancing at the reception, and she had lots of photos to share of people gettin down and having a good time. Other photographers didn't seem to have those kinds of photos, making me wonder if they left right after the cake cutting.If you're really looking for affordable. I'd suggest First Frame Studio. The photographer, Gretchen, takes great photos but I believe she has packages that start under $1,000. She seemed a bit disorganized to us, but we were impressed with her work.GL!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I loved Clare's work too, but she is unfortunetly taken :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard some great things about Roxanne, but I did meet one person who had a very bad experience with her... so take that for what it's worth. Kim Chapman is amazing, but I also believe her prices are a bit on the high side. Steve Fairfield seems to have a lot of people who come over to randomly post how amazing he was, but it seems suspicious to me because generally the people who make these posts have never posted before and never come back to post again, and don't share their pictures or any supporting information. Never heard of Tsukroff. I might recommend Rachel Bell as well, she's amazing, so so so nice, and very affordable.I *loved* my photographer, Tess Johnson, but she's not cheap. I think the quality of her pictures and the fact that she's one of the coolest people I think I've ever met makes it totally worth it though. My advice is to get your photographer for at least 8 hours. Ask what they would do if some kind of catastrophe came up last minute and they were unable to shoot your wedding. Ask if they have an assistant or second shooter, also everything else that others have suggested. Make sure that what you are getting is very clearly outlined in your contract, ie: how many photographers, how many hours, how many pictures they will take, an album, engagement shoot, etc. I don't know if this was already mentioned, but you might want to ask if they shoot  in film or digital format. I don't know if it matters to you, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference I don't think, but it's important to some people.HTH!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What is your budget like? Other people we looked into that had good work and were decently priced were Life Portraits by Angela, Casey Durgin Photography, Bonnie Harrison and Audra Bayette. I met with Angela, she was very outgoing and friendly, but just not the best match for us. Never met with the others, since Audra and Bonnie were already booked, and we picked Clare before meeting with Casey.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are looking to spend around $2,000, we could spend a little more but not much. I originally thought that this would be enough, but I'm worried that it won't!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe Audra Bayette, Casey Durgin and Life Portraits by Angela are all under $2,000. I think there are enough great photographers out there under $2,000, but the hard part is finding people who aren't booked! I really like Casey's work, check it out: [url]http://www.caseydurginphotography.com[/url] Maybe someone else knows more about her.You can also try Denise Farwell, she's about $1,800 for eight hours: [url]www.denisefarwell.com[/url] I don't know much about her either.And Amy Root-Donle in New Hampshire is $2,000: [url]http://www.amyrootdonle.com[/url]GL!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also ask if its possible to see a wedding that they covered in its entirety, such as by having the password to a couples gallery. And I would specifically ask to see one whose venue best matches your own. That will allow you to see just what their finished product looks like and if the style matches your own.I would also ask about travel fee. Some photographers have it, some don't. Although the total is likely to be small, you want to make sure that you know about it before you get to contract time.I'd also check the contract to see what the time frame for return of your photos would be. Some photographers may specify as little as 4 weeks while others may take months. It all depends on how quickly you'd like them. I didn't have to wait as long as some of the other girls getting married the day that I did, but I don't think I would have sanely been able to wait longer!The last bit that I'd likely ask is why they got in to wedding photography. Although it seems like a small detail, it was important to me that they got in to it for reasons that I was comfortable with and not just because of the money.I believe that just about covers what I talked to my photographer about. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you could get Tess for right around $2000. Check out her website: www.tessjphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure where you are getting married within the state but Meredith of &unlimited was a second shooter at my wedding recently and was AMAZING! She lives in Portland- http://www.andunlimited.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So vendors aren't allowed to advertise their services on the message boards, but I wanted to let you all know that there are 3 girls who were all Maine Knotties in the last few years who now actually work as wedding photographers. They can't tell you that here because they could get kicked off the knot and the nest if they do, but if you go over to the nest and ask who does wedding photography, they can tell you then! They all do really beautiful work and are really affordable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone have any recommendations for photographers under $1000? Looking at all the sites everyone here is suggesting makes me think the FI and I will definitely not be able to afford a "real" photographer as they are so over our budget :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TMG, I started a new thread with a couple suggestions for a photog under $1,000 -- check it out!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards