Chinese Weddings

Banquet timeline?

Hi All-I am getting married on 10/10 of this year, and am working on my timeline for my banquet reception. We're doing the traditional 8-10 courses. Can anyone share a timeline that you've used? I have no idea when to do first dance, etc, and what order everything should go in....Especially consdering how long dinner will be! Any help is appreciated!

Re: Banquet timeline?

• edited December 2011
    You can do whatever you want, but this is what we did:7pm-11pm-Announce guests to be seated-Bridal party lines up at entrance-Bridal party introduced-Lion dancing-First dance-Cake cutting (You should do this in the beginning so you still look nice and in your wedding dress.-Dinner Served-Matron of Honor speech-Best Man speech-First dress change (qi pao)-Table-to-Table toasts-More speeches from good friends-2nd dress change (evening dress)-Bouquet toss (we didn't do the garter toss)-Guests begin dancing
  • edited December 2011
    By the way, everyone was finished with dinner before we started dancing.  Guests only had a little over an hour to dance. However, I've seen it done before (my sister's wedding) where dinner and dancing happened at the same time. A course would come out, people would eat, and then people were invited onto the dance floor to dance a little bit.
  • amwot8amwot8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm getting married on 10/10 as well - fabulous day!our timeline for the banquet is 7pm to 11pm: DJ annouces the bridal partyBride & Groom's entrance and transition into our first danceLion Dance PerformanceFamily Member introductionsDinner begins1st dress change (qwa)ToastsCake CuttingGuests begin dancingWe decided not to have the bouquet or garter toss and no games either.
  • edited December 2011
    if you want a grand entrance, you can be introduced after your wedding party and do the first dance right away. a lot of ppl cut the cake at the beginning because usually asian bakeries use whipped cream instead of buttercream/fondant to decorate the cakes. and that melts before the end of the night.the rule of thumb is you should start going around tables to toast everyone around the time they serve the shark fin soup. that means you should be changing into qipao before that.usually what i see is introduction, game, toast, wedding party/parent speeches, bride/groom speech, slideshows, game/bouquet toss, receiving line.
  • seevictoriaseevictoria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hope everything is settled by now. Otherwise, you should work it out eith your MC and/or DJ. They will know how to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards