Wedding Woes

house hunting recap

fancy house: easily the nicest house we have seen -- nice upgrades, nice layout, etc.  easily the FANCIEST kitchen -- thermador, bosch and viking all up in here.  they did have a drawer dishwasher, which is a pita.  problem: taxes are $$$,$$$,$$$.$$/year.  this house is now basically unaffordable.

house of meh: i really hate it when people do the stupid upgrades.  this one had redone the kitchen -- but instead of extending the cabinets all the way to the ceiling, they were dropped about an inch down.  why?  they have crown molding.

why didn't they just rip off the crown molding and stick it on the top of the cabinets?  and now that the cabinets are dropped down -- you can't see the stupid crown molding anyway!  people are idiots.

this might seriously be a dealbreaker because if these people were dumb about that, what else were they dumb about?  i didn't check the basement to see how much water they left in there.

ooh la la: these people.  oy, these people.

so the house was built in the 1990s.  there are hardwood floors -- that had been scuffed grey and were starting to separate.  WTF -- really, WTF -- did they do in there?  realtor very kindly suggested that maybe they had dogs?  they would have had to have all the dogs -- as in, all the dogs in the entire county -- to have done that kind of damage to the floors.  my parents have rooms with floors from the 1950s in a house that had six dogs through its lifetime, and their floors don't look like that.

and the kitchen.  oy, the kitchen.

okay -- do you know of a cafe or store that has a french theme?  like a striped shirt, beret and bicycle stereotypical french theme?  that was this kitchen: black and gold striped wallpaper, black counters, a water-pump shaped faucet in the sink, knobs that were all curlicues and whirls, etc.  i just looked at it and saw me and a scorer and fifty hours i will never get back. 

all the walls had a stupid paint treatment topped off by a die-cut swag wallpaper border, there were two faux pillars adorning the entryway of two rooms (making the entryway supersmall), and a chair rail that was clearly diy because they just tacked it at two points and it bowed out in the middle.

i love it, dh will hate it: okay, so this house was nothing special on the inside.  the kitchen is fine, the family room might be a hair too small.  however, it's all hardwood and parquet and the carpeting is nicely kept up.

OMG THE MASTER BEDROOM.

okay, so this bad boy takes up half the upstairs.  as in, when i read the dimensions to the realtor, she gave me a look like "wtf are you talking about?  did you read that right?"  it's 36x20, which is bigger than our entire 2br, 2 ba apt right now.  nice little bathroom but -- TWO MASSIVE CUSTOM CLOSETS WITH CUSTOM INTERIORS. 

the homeowner was actually still there, which normally i do not like, but this dude was awesome and i kind of wished he came with the house.  he told us about what used to be where, so i could kind of envision moving furniture around.  pmeg, you would like that he is old and going into a home so he needs to sell his house.

the master bedroom was a gift to his wife.  they each got a custom closet -- 36 individual shoe cubbies, four hanging racks, built in drawers.  the bedroom itself has an entire king-size bedroom suite -- bedframe, highboy, lowboy, endtables, lingerie chest -- and then room for an area rug and a separate sitting area.

I LOVE IT AND WANT IT.  things dh will hate because he is a destroyer of joy: tiny backyard (but it faces a park!), does not think master bedroom the size of rhode island is the best use of space, the family room and downstairs areas are too small.

dh still needs to see it, but for now, that's my number one.

Re: house hunting recap

• Does he not know that you only have one kid, and the shop is closed? How big of a backyard does he need?

Y'all live in a freezer for 6 months out of the year, right? So, how many people is he wanting to entertain in the warmer months?
  • Oooh, the last one sounds wonderful.  Tell H to get over it.  Closet space and a park trump the rest.  

I wonder if the ooh la la people mopped their hardwood...like every day...with buckets of water and steel wool.  Maybe someone has floor cleaning OCD.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i did say he was a destroyer of joy, no?

anyway, i am trying to evil temptress him by telling him that we can just get rid of a formal living room and just have one large family room and a smaller one (and maybe even a library?) and we'll see what he says.

btw, it's not a formal park, per se.  it's not landscaped or anything -- there's a cropped grass area, and then there's some trees with a path through it that teenagers probably go to smoke cigarettes or even roll up marijuana like a cigarette and smoke it.  TEENAGERS.
  • This sounds like a convenient body dumping area.  Sold!!

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say use the kid.

"Da-Da, I lub this house."
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

His and hers closets can be a marriage-saver, even if they aren't the size of Rhode Island. I am happy every. single. day. when I walk into my clean, reasonably-organized closet. I get stabby if I even have to go in H's closet for 2 minutes to get something. I can't imagine staring at that sht every damn day. 

Our closets combined are smaller than one shared walk-in-closet would probably be, but it's so worth it. 

• re: House of Meh - I feel your pain on the obvious laziness of a previous DIY.  Some of the things we found during all of our DIYs have been very discouraging and have caused us more work/money/time to fix.  I want to track down the old owners and shake them.

Remind DH that a smaller yard can be a plus when there's an accessible area nearby.  It means less time spent on mowing/upkeep.  We are very active and like to be outside so we wanted a big back yard.  This house has a very teeny yard but a park next door, so it wasn't even something we felt cheated about.

::fingers crossed for a state-sized bedroom::

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Amen on yard maintenance. What a fcking nightmare.

• WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    D, ITTO to his/her closets and low maintenance small back yard. those are 2 things i hope to find in a future house.

it's not like you live in an area that you an entertain in the yard 12 months out of the year anyway.

ETA - why didnt they just add more molding to the tops of the cabinets instead of leaving a gap?
  • I'm on the "less yard to maintain, the better" bandwagon.

The master suite sounds amazing. that alone may sell me on a house. 

We have a formal "living room" and a "family room" - and never use the living room. if people come over, we hang out in the family room. I like the potential of combining the two / making a study, etc. 

is there office space for Mr. mo?
  • I'd love to be your realtor just to hear the commentary.
  • WzzWzz member
    i will say this - i have an average size bedroom and a HUGE livingroom (and a tiny baby bedroom). i think it's far more important to have a larger living space than it is to have a larger sleeping area. we definitely spend more time in the livingroom. we don't have the luxury of a livingroom AND a family room, but if we did we'd still want those spaces to be bigger and we'd compromise on bedroom space.
  • I"m probably a killjoy as well.  We only got into our bedroom for bedtime, whether it's awake or asleep.  I'd be more tempted by that fancy kitchen since it's where we spend close to 60% of our home time between Cooking Sunday and breakfast/lunch/dinner.  Heck, even when we entertain, the party ends up in the kitchen, I have to make everyone move to the living room.  I do love my all hardwood though for the allergy savings alone and having parquet would be lovely. And I would love to have less yard maintanence.  So thsoe are winners in my book.

But taxes blow and they'll just keep going up, so I can understand that.  

Side note: I loathe shoe cubby holes.  I do want shoe shelves someday though.
  • I also think that sometimes you have a must have in your mind while looking, and then it changes once you move in and live in the space. Some rooms you don't use as much as you thought you would, and some features weren't a big deal and now you love them.

• GBCKGBCK member
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_house-hunting-recap?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1662527f-8a8b-47bd-995b-acf734518037Post:fa2ddd81-2fde-40d8-a2a1-d90f535b32bb">Re: house hunting recap</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also think that sometimes you have a must have in your mind while looking, and then it changes once you move in and live in the space. Some rooms you don't use as much as you thought you would, and some features weren't a big deal and now you love them.
    Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

<div>^that's brilliantly said.</div><div>
    </div><div>(I like having a lot of land, but, eh, I might trade it at this point for a walking-distance park for the kid)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards