Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

apparently good etiquette can be a bad thing.

I had my work bridal shower yesterday.  It was very lovely and I received some very nice things.  Overall it was a good time.

Since it was not a surprise, I planned ahead and bought pretty thank you cards.  Since a work shower really isn't like a "real" shower in that we don't hang around for hours eating and talking, it was over within an hour and I was home before dinner.  I enjoyed a nice glass of wine with my fiance and spent the night writing out every single thank you card- 67, to be exact.

I put them in my coworkers mailboxes around lunchtime today, and have already received 4 sarcastic and snarky comments about giving out my thank you's too quickly.  "What did you do, pre-write them and just fill our names in last night?" UM NO, actually I hand wrote every single one, thankyouverymuch, and personalized it with special thanks to each individual gift and person.  Since it's BAD ETIQUETTE to use gifts before the wedding, and we're renovating on top of that, the gifts were immediately packed away to protect them.  I was concerned that I might misplace a card or forget a gift in the back of a closet somewhere and never send a thank you... was it that bad of me to send out my thank you's in a timely fashion??

Re: apparently good etiquette can be a bad thing.

• Options
    Ugh - I had the SAME thing happen to me.  They are just jealous that you are on top of your shiit.  Good job getting the thank yous out asap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Smile sweetly and say "no, I just stayed up pretty late last night writing them because I wanted you to know how much your gift means to me."
  • Options

I think those coworkers would find their presents placed in their mailboxes tomorrow morning.  Jerks. 

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Niiiice co-workers you have there.
  • Options
    What kind of place do you work?  That was a huge work bridal shower, too.  At my office we had a potluck with about 20 people. 
  • Options
    First of all bravo to you...i would have maybe made it through 30 TY cards.  These women are the women who would complain if you sent the TY a week from now that they are too late.  they just want to start shyt ignore them.
  • Options
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  People will ALWAYS find something to gripe about.  I have to say I'm slightly jealous because you sound way more organized then I'd ever be!  :)
  • Options
    No, you were right and they were wrong.  Just take the higher road and either ignore their responses or be very sweet and let them know that you already had the TY notes themselves, but that you wrote them out that same night.  
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    That's bogus.  :(
  • Options
    Your coworkers are douches.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I have been doing the same thing, as soon as I receive something I get out a TY card. And I have had no one complain. Way to turn a nice event into sh*t.

I'm with PP, I would be happy just to get one, considering how many times I haven't.

BTW, I'm not registered so I've had very few gifts, and it's easy for me. So I bow to your organizational skills!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Crap, I'm anticipating having to do less TY cards than that for my WEDDING.

And you'd think the handwritten, specific TY note would tip them off to the fact that they weren't pre-written. Undecided
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apparently-good-etiquette-can-bad-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a0111d3-a9b9-48ff-908e-9246e86c75e0Post:f3157d5f-bc29-4ccc-b44a-d49b83905d47">Re: apparently good etiquette can be a bad thing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think those coworkers would find their presents placed in their mailboxes tomorrow morning.  Jerks. 
    Posted by tidetravel[/QUOTE]

I love where your head's at. 
  • Options
    Wow, just goes to show you can't please everyone.  That sucks, but good job for getting them out so quickly!
  • Options
    People are idiots. But kudos to you for being on top of the TY notes!  That's pretty impressive. It took me like a whole week to write out 30 from my shower.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apparently-good-etiquette-can-bad-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a0111d3-a9b9-48ff-908e-9246e86c75e0Post:d13be789-7e3d-491c-82eb-06e35a3f49d0">Re: apparently good etiquette can be a bad thing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Smile sweetly and say "no, I just stayed up pretty late last night writing them because I wanted you to know how much your gift means to me."
    Posted by emilyinchile[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>love it :)</div><div>
    </div><div>xx</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_apparently-good-etiquette-can-bad-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2a0111d3-a9b9-48ff-908e-9246e86c75e0Post:0d815be4-b9cb-4db7-bc1a-5bcce94fc3d6">Re: apparently good etiquette can be a bad thing.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What kind of place do you work?  That was a huge work bridal shower, too.  At my office we had a potluck with about 20 people. 
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

<div><div>I'm a teacher- there are over 100 of us in my building.  Not all 60-something came to the shower (there were probably 35 there), but a lot of people chip in together to get a group gift and sent it along with someone who was coming.  I wrote a seperate thank you for each person who chipped in, rather than a "group" thank you (because then when someone breaks the chain and doesn't send it along to the other gift givers, I look like I never wrote a TY).</div><div>
    </div><div>I've received three more gifts today from people who couldn't make it, and I've already written their thank yous... but I won't put them in their mailboxes until tomorrrow:)</div></div>
  • Options
    mmdpmmmdpm member
    First Comment
    How dare you write thank you's quickly!  OMG, that's horrible.  Actually they are probably just a little jealous that you are so on top of things. 
  • Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I have never been big on actually writing thank you's but have always appreciated getting them. I prefer to call and tell the person how much I like the gift and thank them for it. If I don't have a phone number I will write a thank you.

You did great with getting all those thank you's out and personalised. They are just bitter people. People like that make the world a crappier place. I really do commend you because I know it will be so hard for me to write all those thank you notes and get them out on time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
  • Options
    If I got a TY the day after I gave a gift, I'd be delighted. They are just jealous and I wouldn't worry any more about it. You have a fabulous wedding to be thinking about, not rude people who can't graciously accept a TY.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards