South Asian Weddings
Options

Mehendi Invites

Question for all you seasoned wedding godesses:

Is it inappropriate to ask guests to pay for their own mehendi? I want to pay for the girls in my family and bridal party, but not for all the other guests.

If it is appropriate....do you put the cost on the invites? Do you just send email invites and make it less formal?

I'm so confused!

Re: Mehendi Invites

• Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi vindu

My family paid for the ladies who got their mendhi done at our events.  It costs about 10 dollars a hand so it was reasonable.

I personally have not heard of guests paying for their mendhi or have ever paid for their mendhi.  I think it might take away from the fun of the activity and the enjoyment of the event.

I also think Indian people would be  insulted if they were asked to pay for mendhi at a wedding event (atleast the indians in Toronto area would LOL)...some may not even get it done if they have to pay...

....Just something to  think about

Gluck!
  • Options
    HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MrsBM, if you can't afford it for all your guests then don't do it, but DO NOT ask your guests to pay for their mehndi, it is very rude and will insult majority of your guests.  Better to not do it at all!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_mehendi-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:9ec52a7e-f6d8-4425-92dd-c55f5f403432Post:0023d016-9585-40e4-aa21-a93d9219f62a">Re: Mehendi Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with MrsBM, if you can't afford it for all your guests then don't do it, but DO NOT ask your guests to pay for their mehndi, it is very rude and will insult majority of your guests.  Better to not do it at all!
    Posted by Hinaj[/QUOTE]
    I agree with MrsBM and Hina. If you can't afford it, then just have a smaller mehndi party for family only.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_mehendi-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:9ec52a7e-f6d8-4425-92dd-c55f5f403432Post:ae0b1fb5-99e9-4002-ac24-ee8aea2921d0">Mehendi Invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question for all you seasoned wedding godesses: Is it inappropriate to ask guests to pay for their own mehendi? I want to pay for the girls in my family and bridal party, but not for all the other guests. If it is appropriate....do you put the cost on the invites? Do you just send email invites and make it less formal? I'm so confused!
    Posted by vindu[/QUOTE]

Normally, if you can get a mehendi crew to come to your house (maybe two people), one can focus on your bridal mehendi, and if there's time, maybe the elders.  For all of your other guests, the second mehendi person could work on them.  Generally, they work by the hour, so 4-6 hours could run you (this depends on the state, I'm using Arizona as an example) $400-$600. 

You can reduce the cost significantly, by asking some of your cousins (if they have been doing this for other weddings or they have skills) to help you out with your guests.

I agree with our other wedding gurus, that it is pretty rude to ask your guests to pay for their mehendi, for a festive occasion.

Also, for close family and friends, you can add a single sheet (about the size of a 3"x5" card with your mehendi details) for the event.  That way, not all of your wedding or reception attendees can come to the mehendi ceremony. 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all. I've never done or been to a mehendi before so this was very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards