Catholic Weddings

NFP question (again)

i am now on my 6th chart after using the pill for 10+ years.my fluids are still a bit screwy, but i have a clear thermal shift every month (except on my 4th chart).  however, my periods are still only about 1.5 days with 3 days of spotting prior.  my periods while on the pill were 3-4 days with no spotting prior.  my gyno (and everythign i've read) said that my periods will get heavier once i went off the pill - they seem to have gotten lighter.  while this may change at some point once i've completely flushed the hormones, my question now is, is this 1.5 days of period considered a period or is it anovulatory bleeding?  becuase i've had the clear shift, i've been proceeding under the assumption that i've been ovulating except for the 4th month where i had no shift.  is it possible to have the shift and still not ovulate becuase my body is trying to ovulate but just cant? 

Re: NFP question (again)

• canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Because of the thermal shift every cycle, I tend to think that you are ovulating and that the 1.5 days of bleeding is a period. How long are your cycles and when are you usually having your first day of temperature rise?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    cycles have been about 26 days.  i usually see teh shift around day 12 or 14 - id have to check. 
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think you are ovulating if you saw a shift. The shift should only occur if you've ovulated because the release of the egg changes the hormones. Without progesterone, you don't get a temp shift. Without the corpus luteum (the tissue left behind after the egg pops out), you wouldn't get the progesterone. And you don't get corpus luteum without ovulation. Spotting is asynchronous with the menstrual period. That would mean it comes at any time of the month. If you are consistently getting it prior to your "period," then the "spotting" is the start of your period. It's just really light. Some women get a few days of spotting at the end (like me). You may be just getting the spotting at the beginning.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Does your temperature dip before the 3 days of spotting?If the spotting precedes the heavier flow, you should probably count it as the beginning of your period.  With a clear thermal shift preceding, they should be true periods.  I'd also add that what your periods were like when you were on the pill is basically irrelevant, since those were just anovulatory withdrawal bleeds and not true periods.... It may take some time for your body to find its rhythm again, but it will eventually.  What is normal for your body now will be different than what was normal while you were on the pill, and different than what it was 10+ years ago before you started the pill.  But your body will adjust and find its "new normal."
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds to me like you're ovulating AND having a period. For a 26-day cycle, day a thermal shift on day 12 sounds just right!
  • edited December 2011
    I can't remember, but I thought you didn't take an actual class. If you did I would talk to the people who led that. If not I would ask your priest if there is someone that does do a class so that you could question them. Also, do you mind me asking what pill you were on? My doctor and I were discussing this the other day and she was saying that the level of hormones that prevent you from ovulating are gone pretty quickly since they need the dose of the pill to remain high. She was saying that you can start trying to get pregnant after one cycle off the pill and that it takes 6-9 months for you cycles to figure out what they are doing. Also do you know the hormone dose level of your pill? I'm just asking because my Dr. sounded like something like this wouldn't happen and I am curious if it is a brand, dose, or person difference.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, if you look at the GP board on The Bump, those ladies know a TON about charting, even though they're using it to get pregnant. I have wandered over there a few times to ask questions. If you want fast answers, they're your girls.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    thanks, gang!i double checked last night.  my shift is actually on day 10 most months.from what i ready in TCOYF, the pre-period spotting is just that, and becuase you can get spotting at any time of the month, they said to not count spotting as day one of the cycle and period, but rather wait until you get actual flow versus spotting.  the spotting is extremely light, and i actually have a theory that it may be somethign else that i dealt with about 2 years ago.  i also konw that the spotting can mean i have a too-short luteal phase whcih may cause me implantation issues later, shoudl i decide to get pregnant.i am self taught, so no teacher to ask, although you guys have been quite helpful as have some of my other online resources.  i should check out hte board on the nest too.black, i was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Trivora.  Honestly, i have no clue if they were low dose or high dose.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ortho Tri-Cyclen is very high- hormone. I was on that for about a year in college. It gave me the clearest skin ever! I miss that, but it also made me sooo moody! I don't know about the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards