Students

ARRGH!!! Having to tack on another semester...

Ok...this is kind of a rant just to warn you ladies. I am an English Secondary Education major, and right now I am Junior in years and a sophomore in credits (which is a longer story). I just did the math today on my checklist of remaining classes and realized that I still have 4 semesters to go including summer semesters. Not only do I have to go 4 more semesters....I have to do student teaching the entire last semester of my senior year, which at this point will be Fall 2011, instead of my Spring 2011 original date. GRRRR Well anyway, not only do I have to go 4 more semesters, but here's my class load...Spring(6 classes) Summer(4 classes) Fall(6 classes) Spring( 4 classes) Then fall I do my student teaching. Now crossing my fingers..I'm hoping and praying that this does not alter my wedding date ( I don't think i could stand to postpone it even longer). But this is simply to rant about how much more school I have to endure when I thought I was on the down hill slope.....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ARRGH!!! Having to tack on another semester...

• I'm in the same spot! I'm English Ed too and today I officially realized while talking to my advisor that I'm on the 5 year plan. It was so disappointing to realize that I'm now not even halfway done! I'm not postponing anything, I'll just have 2 years of school counting student teaching left after the wedding. Oh well though! I just want to be with the one I love, school can wait and although it will be stressful, I like the slightly easier credit numbers that are appearing because of my foolish mistake that pushed me back. I'm starting to be okay with it I guess, but I still know how you feel. It sucks realizing that school will take even longer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm on the 7 year plan, so I know that disappointment all too well.  Of course, I took 2 years off, transferred twice, and changed my major 3 times...  I'm hoping to graduate August 2010 and we're getting married in July 2010 so it will be a busy summer!  I'm still fighting for transfer credits, too.  It makes me batty!  I was an English major for two years and my current school won't take any of those upper-division courses as core reading and writing classes, and I was a grant writing assistant for three years and won my first scientific grant (today!), as an undergrad no less, and they want me to prove that I can do technical writing.  Grrrrrr..... My favorite part of the whole ordeal is that they took all my neurology classes from my first school as advanced psych classes, so I'm two classes shy of a psychology degree and I've never taken anything above psych 101!  So I'm sort of in the opposite boat- I've been a senior in credits for over a year already, but I'm taking a lot of sophomore level classes because I need them for my capstone this spring.
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Well ladies i see now that my situation is cake compared to ya'lls! I'm So sorry!!!! But it is good to know that I'm not the only one who is saying to h*** with waiting. I'm sticking to my date and thats it. If you guys need any support let me know! Cause at least we all know how it is. And what schools do you go to? It seems like every school screws you on transfer credit. I was accepted to NC State University in Raleigh after getting an Associates from my community college. Well i went to pick classes with my advisor and they told me that about half of my credits wouldnt transfer.....WTH?!? So I told them thanks but no thanks and took a semester off then got accepted to Appalachian State university in Boone, where they took ALL credits 1 for 1. Which was AWESOME. Feel free to talk to me about this stuff any time!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to Earlham college in Indiana, then Naropa University in Colorado, and now I'm going to the University of Colorado at Boulder.  Naropa is the only Buddhist university in the USA and it has a world-renowned poetry department, but no sciences.  It was a great chance to use a different part of my brain and I got to experience life as one of the religious majority for once (at least on campus!).  CU doesn't want to take any Naropa credits because it's "too subjective" in its grading, as in we wrote papers but there were no exams.  I say BS because it's an accredited university, its ranked significantly higher in writing and liberal arts academic areas than CU, and, most importantly, I wrote 30 to 75 page thesis reports for each class- kids at CU whine when they have to write 5!  Anyhow, that's my rant about transfer credits at CU.  I think they just want so badly to be recognized as something other than the #1 party school that they've forgotten that they're not actually as wonderful as their propaganda says they are.  But, I do like CU and they have extremely strong sciences- we have more Howard Hughes fellows than any other university, which is a huge honor, and our physics department has won multiple Nobel prizes- it's just that the rest of the school is a bit too full of itself for its own good!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Wow Mango! I would absolutely DIE if I had to do all of the things you are doing. Sounds to me like you are having to do stuff that would be required of grad. Students not Undergrad!! Goodluck with it all!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm at the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire. I attended Tulane University in New Orleans for a year first, so I've had some problems with transfer credits, but my advisor is great for petitioning to get them to work. I'm trying to take a positive outlook on this, and I really do like that my semesters will be less busy. Plus, I won't have to be looking for a job halfway through the year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hunterjumper321 I so feel your pain. I found out a little over 2 months after I got engaged and set our date that I had to stay in school for an extra semester. Our wedding date is July 2010 and instead of graduating that May, I am now graduating in Dec. 2010. I like some of these other ladies have switched schools only I hate to admit this but I have done it 6 times, for different reasons, but regardless this has put me a year and a half behind. I am having to take 22 credit hours next semester and 9 hours for summer school which is when I am supposed to be finishing my wedding planning which I am doing myself along with my fiance' so I completely feel your pain! But don't postpone! you can do it!! good luck!!!
  • My mom went to eight different universities before getting her undergraduate degree, the forth one she failed out of, and after finally graduating she got into Yale for her masters and Berkeley for her PhD.  It makes me feel a lot better to know that slow does not equal dumb/lazy/etc and you can transfer a lot and still do whatever you want when you graduate!
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Ok girls...update. Just went over everything 50 times it seems like and the math just DOES NOT ADD UP!!! I graduated early from my highschool a semester ahead of my peers. I took a couple of classes a couple months after I graduated but one doesnt count..and i'm fine with that. But anyway, I took 3 courses over the summer that DEFINATELY transfer, then went on to take a full load in the Fall. I have consistently taken full load classes every semester since then. I took one semester off to work just this past Spring and summer. I am taking 4 classes now, and plan to take 6 classes in the spring upcoming. Ok...so is it just my imagination or should I AT LEAST be equal to my peers from graduating class as to my graduating date???? If not still ahead???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards