Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Not interested in cake cutting ceremony

Hello, Lately I've been thinking that the cake cutting ceremony is not for me. I would rather people socialize and dance than have to stop what they're doing to watch us cut a cake. My question is, is this appropriate? I don't want to avoid a tradition that people look forward to but at the same time, I feel like it's a bit of a waste of time. Thanks for your feedback. ~K

Re: Not interested in cake cutting ceremony

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Then just skip it!  It's not that big a deal and I know as long as I get my cake, I'm always happy.
  • Options
    andorohandoroh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I honostly think that cutting a cake is not that big of a deal. I'm just like you don't want that in on wedding. Last year I was at a very traditional wedding and instead of having a cake they've decided to just serve desserts (cup-cakes, and other goodies). It was delicious and very interesting idea. But the draw back of this is the fact that we had to stand in line for about 15 minutes to get to dessert table (they have about 350-400 guests). But if you have relatively smaller number of guests coming, than I don't see that been a bad thing.:)
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The simple way to do it is without a lot of fanfare... The second you walk into the room for your reception (before dinner), cut the cake... Walk in a b-line for the cake, do your cutting get the photo and you don't take anyone's time away that doesn't want to focus on it..I had cousins who did the full shabang announcement and such and I'm with you, it feels like a complete waste of time..  This way if you do it before you even sit down for dinner no one is going to think you're taking away from cocktail hour by doing it right away before they start eating..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We simply skipped it. No announcements, the servers just started passing out cake. I don't think anyone noticed that we didn't do it. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want it don't do it, people might not even notice until later on.
  • Options
    Joni686Joni686 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The thing is, it's your wedding.  Do what you want to do and what will make the two of you happy.  There are several things we have opted to do or not do and the way I look at it, it is our day and besides anyone who has a problem with something at your wedding is a grouch and they will probably forget about it the next day anyway.  lol  Enjoy YOUR day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with you! My hubby to be and I don't even LIKE cake...so we're not going to have one! We're going to do a table of "our favorite things" (aka our favorite desserts) to share with everybody.Also, I was at a wedding this past summer where the bride and groom didn't have a cake either. They had a delicious chocolate themed plate (including 2 chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate brownie bites with raspberries on top, and a sliver of chocolate cheesecake) served after the meal, and then a little while later, they made an announcement that the Ice Cream Bar (!!) was open....we then all got to go back and make our own sundae. They had all sorts of toppings including oreos, reese's pieces, m&m's, cherries, etc. There was someone there to scoop the ice cream into a chocolate dipped waffle bowl, and then we got to apply our own toppings.I think everyone really liked that....and it goes to show---you don't have to follow tradition to the T to make everyone really enjoy everything!
  • Options
    maqmanglonamaqmanglona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,I have had alot of family and friends give me advise on do's and don'ts but in reality it is our day and I will choose what we want to do. We are having cupcakes for our main wedding cake which will still have the teirs and it will look beautiful, but we will not be cutting a cake. Not only is it cost efficient but out of our 4-500 guest not everyone eats cake so rather than hassle with it we opted out of tradition. I want to enjoy the day not worry about what traditions I have missed. Make it your day if things are not in the norm it's okay it will be unique to you.-maqbam
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we didnt do a cake cutting.  in fact, we didnt even have  cake on display.  we thought the idea of cutting a cake and feeding ti to each other was hideous, and nothing more than a waste of time photo opportunity.
  • Options
    blynn03blynn03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're skipping it.  We're also skipping the bouquet toss and the garter toss.  We aren't having a formal traditional wedding, and even if we were, I would still probably skip those traditions because I think they're silly.  I also agree that they're sort of a waste of time..I'd rather just get to the party. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We made a beeline to the cake after making our grand entrance at the reception.  That allowed the catering staff to whisk the cake away, cut it, and serve it directly after dinner.  It worked for us and didn't take people away from enjoying the reception.Like you, we were keen on not starting/stopping the reception for "tradition".  To avoid this, we split up the special dances (bridal party, first dance, father-daughter, mother-son).  It kept people on the dance floor and the party rocking all night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Calypso! I am happy to be a bride, but the idea of everyone watching us cut and feed cake to each other is silly. We also are just doing the bride/groom dance - I want to get to the party part!!! That's just how I feel. We are not doing a cake cutting, nor are we having a cake on display. My sister makes great cake, so she's going to make sheet cakes, and the caterer will cut and serve it. She's only charging me for the supplies! My FI loves apple pie, so we will serve that too. We're buying the pies from BJ's, and our caterer will cut and serve that with ice cream. I do want 'feeding' pictures, but we will do something at the table during dinner with no fanfare. Do what you want! This is the only time in your life you can have it your way! Good luck.
  • Options
    laura214laura214 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im not big on traditional things either, i like things to be different, but i think thats one that i like. Try to squeeze it in but not make such a big deal and drag it out with tons and tons of pics =)
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's stopping the dancing that bothers you, then do it right at the end of dinner before the dancing.  I've heard through here that people stop the dance to do the cake, and that's the "traditional" way, but I don't remember any weddings that have done it during the dance.It also depends on the guests.  If you have a lot of young guests (I have a lot of little cousins), then the cake is one of the biggest things for them.If you don't want cake, skip it!  But if it's the timing you don't like, move it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just want to throw in one thing that I think most Brides have forgotten... Cake cutting is not just a tradtion, but it's also a cue to guests that it's okay to leave your reception. Especially older guests who know of this as a normal indicator. And do not wish to stay out as late as younger guests. (seriously, my mom wants us to cut ours ASAP after our father/daughter husband/wife dances so that our older guests can go home without complaint.) If you aren't going to cut cake then you might want to spread the word so people don't feel obligated to stay late into the night waiting for that moment.
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like others have said, don't do it if you don't want to! I would skip it, except for the fact he's in the military, and we're going to cut the cake with the sword, because we think it's cute... If it weren't for that fact, we probably wouldn't do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are cutting our wedding cake and then serving it for dessert. My plan is while everyone is finishing up their dinner, my FI and I will cut the cake, get the photo op and then the cake can be passed out in time for everyone to have it for dessert. I'm with you and never liked the idea of stopping the fun for some cake - it seemed choppy and made the cake cutting out of place, in my opinion, but I thought doing it as part of the dessert service seemed to make a lot of sense. That's just my, personal opinion, but if you want to skip it completely then go ahead! I doubt anyone will miss it. And no cake means no worries about getting cake in your face. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our DJ announced we were cutting the cake for anyone who wanted to watch. It didn't stop the party at all.It was a bit of hilarity as were posed for the camera with kniofe in slasher fashion. Then we couldn't figure out how to hold the knife together to cut it and more hilarity ensued.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with most people in that if you don't want to do it, then don't! However, if you are only skipping it b/c you think people will have to stop dancing and/or partying, then my suggestion is do it right after dinner. You would have already eaten (you are always served first) so that you don't feel rushed, and "get it out of the way".  I haven't decided if I want a full cake or not.  Since we're having a fall/rustic themed wedding, I'm thinking about pies instead.  So prob cake and/or pies :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards