Michigan-Northern
Options

Location suggestions

Hi everyone, I am planning on getting married next September in Northern Michigan and am looking for venue suggestions. My parents are in Elk Rapids, but I am more interested in Traverse City, Charlevoix, Suttons Bay etc, somewhere where there are more places for guests to stay. I am planning on having between 50-75 people. In terms of feel, i prefer the "off the beaten path feel". Although there are many beautiful weddings venues up north, I'm looking for something that doesn't feel too classical wedding-ish (not a hotel, large event hall, etc), more like a place to have a fun and semi-casual party. I would love to have a view of the water, or be right on the water. Thanks for your help!!

Re: Location suggestions

• Options
    jamm2019jamm2019 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Charlevoix you could check out Staffords Weathervane.  It is nice for a party your size, and The Weathervane Terrace Hotel is right there.  It is on the water.  I know a few people who got married right there on the deck over looking the canal and it was beautiful.  Plus the reception was right there also.Also another nice place is Elm Point right outside of East Jordan.  Right on the water, and I have also been to some really beauiful weddings there.  You could just have your wedding there and then choose a different place for your reception, or you could rent a tent and I have seen that done before to.I live right in Charlevoix so if you need any other information I can help.Another option, but you may not want this is The Castle in Charlevoix.  For a party your size you could do it in the Queens Tavern.  I actually got married in that room, but it is a great place for smaller receptions to.
  • Options
    zawa0915zawa0915 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi! congrats on the engagement and planning process :)we were married at the perry hotel in petoskey this july, but i'm guessing that's not the type of venue you are looking for. i will echo the other poster in suggesting another stafford's location as they were so awesome through and through with coordinating our event. so organized and straightforward.here are some other ideas i came across in our planning process (some ruled out b/c we needed room for a larger group, which you don't have to worry about!):Frog Pond Village (near Interlochen): [url]http://www.frogpondvillage.com/[/url](not on the water,  but set in a woodsy location)Pond Hill Farm (just N of Harbor Springs):[url]http://www.pondhill.com/[/url](we had our rehearsal dinner here, and it is an awesome rustic-type setting. staff here are AMAZING)there are several really beautiful vineyards in the leelanau peninsula that are worth checking out. not sure if you want to go that far, though. some that come to mind are black star farms, ciccone vineyard, bowers harbor, vineyard inn, shady lane cellars...these sites might be helpful, too:[url]http://www.leelanauweddings.com/tcvendors/reception.htm[/url][url]http://www.northernnuptials.com/reception-venues-75/[/url]Good luck! :)
    We are married! 07.25.09 Married Bio For Sale Items Vendor Reviews
  • Options
    zawa0915zawa0915 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry for the janky formatting. i really did type spaces between all the links! :)
    We are married! 07.25.09 Married Bio For Sale Items Vendor Reviews
  • Options
    jamm2019jamm2019 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Staffords Bay View is a nice place for a wedding...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the Headlands outside of Mackinaw City. We also checked out Frog Pond Village outside of Interlochen, a waterfront park in Petoskey, and Leg's Inn in Cross Village.
  • Options
    shanmortshanmort member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married next October at Black Cat Barn in Charlevoix.  It is definitely off the beaten path and rustic, and I am not having a wedding planner, so we will be doing a LOT of our own work coordinating, but so far the owners have been friendly and helpful.  I really liked the simplicity of the venue and the lack of the high-volume wedding feel you get at Castle Farms, etc.  I don't think it's for everyone, but maybe for you - worth checking out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards