Students

Major Dilemna

Hi.  I am new to the student board...I just discovered it!I also just discovered a major problem.  I am graduating with my Master of Public Administration in August.  I just found out that graduation is August 6th at 3:00PM.  My wedding is the NEXT DAY!!  I am trying to decide if I should drive up to graduation (an hour from where the wedding is) and have a late rehearsal, or if I should just skip it.  The problem is I skipped walking my undergraduate ceremony because I figured I would walk this one.  I know it's a long way away, but I am starting to freak out!  What should I do?!

Re: Major Dilemna

• Do it. Graduating is the best feeling in the world and after all that hard work, you deserve your glory. You will work it out. Maybe have the rehearsal a couple of days before?
  • I agree.  I wasn't planning on walking for my AA, but I figure why not, I've worked this hard, I might as well have that wonderful feeling.
    ~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • If it's an hour trip, I think it would be worth it to have your rehearsal either the 5th (the day before graduation) or have it late on the day of your graduation. Your family and fiance's family, as well as anyone else who will be there (officiant, wedding party, etc) will all understand! Finishing grad school is a huge deal.
  • Thanks so much for the advice.  I am going to check with everyone and make sure that I can have rehearsal at 6PM so that I can make it to graduation!!
  • An hour drive isn't that bad, you can fit in the RD around it if you want.  However, let me point out that the graduation can be expensive - you have to buy the cap and gown, and I know that this stuff is very pricey at least for PhDs.  Plus there may be rehearsals for graduation, depending on your school, which you may not want to attend.I'm going to be the odd one out and say that walking isn't that big of a deal.  I'm most likely not doing it (though I still have to buy the hood and everything), and almost everyone I know didn't walk for their Ph.D. or M.S.  I literally know at least 50 people with one degree or the other, and I only know one who walked - because she defended just before the graduation date so she was still in town.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There's no reason to miss graduation.  I agree with the other ladies who posted--change your rehersal dinner to the 5th, go to graduation, then get married the next day!  :)  It will be a crazy 3 days, but it will be worth it!!  Congrats on both, by the way.
  • Personally, I would rent a party bus for my family and friends to ride with me to my graduation... then to the RD. If it's only a 1 hr drive, it shouldn't be a big deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards