Connecticut

Name Change Help!

Hey Ladies, I got married a little over a week ago, and still need help! haha. I never changed my name on the marriage license. I was told I would have time to do it after we were married (my passport, license, etc. have my current/maiden name on them, so I had to keep it like that for honeymoon travel) but that was not the case. The license has been officialized, & I still have my current/maiden name and not my husband's name. I spoke with a clerk in NY (I got married in NY but live in CT) and she said I probably need a lawyer to change my name officially. Have any of you run into this or know any way around it? I am so frustrated right now. I appreciate any help/advice you might have. Thanks.

Re: Name Change Help!

• edited December 2011
    Wow that sounds a LOT more complicated than what I went through.My marriage certificate only had my maiden name on it but also had my husband's name on it.  I took this document to social security, DMV and mailed a copy with my passport and that did the trick.  Then it was a matter of changing it at work, on my credit cards, bank accounts, etc.  IDK why you would need to see a lawyer.   Go to google and type in "how do I change my name after marriage".  There is a very good article on about.com that goes through the steps.
    Married since 7/25/2009
    BFP #1 9/25/2011 | EDD 6/1/2012 | M/C 10/26/2011 at 8w6d
    BFP #2 3/13/2012 | EDD 11/23/2012
    9DPO hcg: 45; Prog: 41 | 14DPO hcg: 694 | 17DPO hcg: 2733 | 28DPO hcg: 53,006
    First u/s 4/13 showed a beating heart! Second u/s 5/2 showed a HB of 163! Let's GROW, baby!
    He's here! Kellen born 11/16/12 - 8 lbs 8 oz 22 inches long via scheduled c-section (breech baby, gestational diabetes mama)
  • edited December 2011
    I should clarify - my marriage certificate had my full maiden name on it and also had my husband's full name on it.  Nowhere on it was there my married name.  Only my maiden name and my husband's full name.  That was sufficient for SS, DMV and passport.
    Married since 7/25/2009
    BFP #1 9/25/2011 | EDD 6/1/2012 | M/C 10/26/2011 at 8w6d
    BFP #2 3/13/2012 | EDD 11/23/2012
    9DPO hcg: 45; Prog: 41 | 14DPO hcg: 694 | 17DPO hcg: 2733 | 28DPO hcg: 53,006
    First u/s 4/13 showed a beating heart! Second u/s 5/2 showed a HB of 163! Let's GROW, baby!
    He's here! Kellen born 11/16/12 - 8 lbs 8 oz 22 inches long via scheduled c-section (breech baby, gestational diabetes mama)
  • rel830rel830 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The CT marriage license doesn't ask for a married name, so I'm not sure if you need to do something different with a NY marriage certificate, but at least in my experience, social security just needs your marriage license as proof that you got married. I went to social security with the marriage license and my other documents for ID. The woman asked what I wanted my new name to be, and changed it right there. They give you a printout with the new name, which you can take to the DMV along with the marriage license to get a new license and registration. Basically, you have proof that you were married, which seems to be all that the relevant offices in Connecticut require.
  • ldevietroldevietro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you didn't change it on the marriage license and its already official and recorded, you are going to need to go to the probate court in your town and get the paperwork to do it.  you DEF DO NOT need an attorney, its 2 forms to fill out, $150 filing fee.  I am the clerk in the New Milford Probate Court, I can help you with any questions and get you the info with who you need to talk with..what town do you live in?
  • edited December 2011
    As long as you have a marriage license with your full maiden name and your husband's full name, I don't see what the problem is.  You just bring your marriage license to the Social Security office, along with a form you can print off the SS website, and they'll change it for you.  I don't believe this varies by state, since SS is run by the Federal government.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just got off the phone with the social security office and they basically affirmed everything you guys said. I can go in with a copy of my marriage license and my current drivers license, and they will make all of the changes for me Thank you for all of the advice and reassurance! : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards