Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

$299 Gown Sale @ Convention Center

Has anyone ever gone to this or planning on going? If you've gone, was it worth it? How early did you get there?

Re: $299 Gown Sale @ Convention Center

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went last year and there were a couple of dresses I liked but it was the first time I went dress shopping so I had no clue what I was looking for. I wish I would have gone to a few shops before because I had no clue what I was looking for and was too scared to purchase anything just in case I found something I liked better. There weren't a ton of people there like I expected, I thought I would be waiting in a line and everything but there were like 15 girls there. Since the dresses are sample dresses, there is a larger selection of bigger sizes. I am a size 2-4 and there wasn't a huge selection in my size. I think it's worth going since it's free. I would go early becuase there is probably more of a selection then. Also, some girls were wearing shorts and tanks under their clothes, so be prepared if you are uncomfortable getting undressed infront of people. It's a big public fitting room but no cameras or men are allowed in it. I just wore underwear and no bra when I was changing and just faced the wall and was fine, no one is staring at you haha. Hope this helps! Oh, they had veils, hair flowers, and tiaras there too!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very helpful thanks! I was imagining hundreds of people lined up and going in and there only being ugly dresses!
  • Options
    Suszq002Suszq002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best friend went a couple of years ago to the sale and found her dress. There were a lot of people there and the lines for the dressing room were crazy. It's a good idea to wear a swim suit or some boy short undies so you can just try on things on the floor without feeling too exposed. It was definitely worth it for her.
  • Options
    MrsKizdoodleMrsKizdoodle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress there back when it was the $249 sale (Oct. 2006). At that sale I found 3 dresses I'd ever consider trying on and the rest were "meh". My dress was the 3rd and final one I tried on. I went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went two years ago.  We lined up at 6 a.m. and were in the first group that entered (went with mom, MOH, 2 sisters).  I had gone to some shops beforehand to see what I liked, and unfortunately what I liked was just coming into the shops (versus the dresses they're putting in the sale are a couple years old).  I found a couple I liked, but not "the one," and I had enough time that I didn't want to settle.  It's a group dressing room, so wear some purdy undies :)  Keep an eye on any dress you have in your possession (better yet, have someone physically HOLD it), and if there's a dress you like that someone else is trying, ask someone with you to keep their eye on it to grab it if it goes back to the racks.  HTH
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow! 6 am! I was thinking of going at 8, maybe I should try and get there earlier! I'm just going with my mom but I know exactly what I want so hopefully that will make it easier!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went 2.5 hours before it started, so whatever that ends up being.

• Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks! This years it starts at 10 so if I get there at 8 that should be ok. Hope I find something!
  • Options
    MrsKizdoodleMrsKizdoodle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LS is right about the age of the dresses - my dress was a Lazaro Spring 2003 collection that I got in Oct. 2006. SO, if you have your eye on any "new" trends you probably won't find what you're looking for. I would guess there would be a lot of pick-up dresses there now since they were popular 2-3 years ago. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How are the gowns arranged? By designer?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By size - I'd recommend going 1 size down (maybe - they all fit a little differently, but don't buy anything that won't zip up) and 3-4 sizes up (you can usually take a dress in, as long as you're not completely changing the structure of the dress, ie: going from a 22 to a 2). HTH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards