Registry and Gift Forum

Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's

I've read some bad reviews about Macy's registry (items being discontinued, etc). I was just wondering if anyone's had any bad/great experiences with Crate & Barrel?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's

• We registered at both C&B and Macy's.  Our experience with both was fine.  I actually think C&B has more seasonal stuff that changes, so you just have to make sure you check your registry to be sure.  We had a few things become unavailable before the wedding.  I'd ask, we registered in Feb and they told us that they do a big stock changeover twice a year, I think spring and fall.  So we just checked it again around May and made sure it still had enough.

I dont' think anything on our Macy's registry was discontinued, well just a few little things.  The main stuff we wanted there was china, silverware, glassware and that stuff doesn't change as often.

I will say though, our C&B registry was barely used.  Macy's was used a little, but BBB was used the most.  Glad we did all 3 (actually, we could have skipped C&B).  In total though, we got very few registry gifts, so my experience might not be that useful.
  • I haven't had any problems with my Macy's registry.  Like any store, they change things out seasonally so you just have to keep your eye on it.  This isn't something just Macy's does - it's something all stores do.  And personally, I would go with Macy's over C&B any day just because C&B is usually only in really big cities, so it might be hard for a lot of your guests to find you stuff there.
  • Thanks for the info and experiences!

I will for sure not be picking any pumpkin shaped muffin tins :D  (Yes i did actually see those this morning).

From what I gather from the different experiences, seems like I should be fine either way once I don't pick seasonal items. Guess I'll compare prices and see if either has better prices for the same items.

Thanks a bunch for you help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered at Macy's, C&B and BBB. By far the Macy's registry was the most popular with our guests- I think many people may just head right to Macy's for a wedding. BBB was second and C&B was third. We had no issues with any of the registries, but we waited until about 3 months before the wedding (just before bridal shower invites went out) to register. I think if you register too far in advance you risk items being discontinued.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_crate-barrel-vs-macys-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:90dd69a7-2819-4ed0-ab7e-0e565a1bf55dPost:e4720fa9-9fc1-419f-8f8a-e487a3658388">Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the info and experiences!<strong> I will for sure not be picking any pumpkin shaped muffin tins :D</strong>  (Yes i did actually see those this morning). From what I gather from the different experiences, seems like I should be fine either way once I don't pick seasonal items. Guess I'll compare prices and see if either has better prices for the same items. Thanks a bunch for you help!
    Posted by sassy8179[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, what's wrong with pumpkin shaped muffin tins?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_crate-barrel-vs-macys-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:90dd69a7-2819-4ed0-ab7e-0e565a1bf55dPost:ad7a1444-3b40-4de8-95e2-312ed105357f">Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's : I'm sorry, what's wrong with pumpkin shaped muffin tins?
    Posted by MacFreitas7[/QUOTE]
    I think the point was that they are a very seasonal item, so the chances of such an item getting discontinued are pretty high which is what the OP is kind of trying to avoid.
  • We registered at C&B since their price point is lower, the offerings pretty diverse and they carry regular household items that seem to be more our taste (industrial/modern).

I registered for some furniture since you get a completion discount (the Marin bar cabinet and the Milo chair), and people from their corporate office keep calling my cell phone to make sure I'm a happy bride and if I know their delivery practices (we made a significant order when we first moved into our current place, so yes... I am VERY familiar). It's kind of annoying to be honest.
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_crate-barrel-vs-macys-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:90dd69a7-2819-4ed0-ab7e-0e565a1bf55dPost:ad7a1444-3b40-4de8-95e2-312ed105357f">Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's : I'm sorry, what's wrong with pumpkin shaped muffin tins?
    Posted by MacFreitas7[/QUOTE]

LOL, nothing! Except they probably won't have those items in February! hehe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_crate-barrel-vs-macys-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:90dd69a7-2819-4ed0-ab7e-0e565a1bf55dPost:f0031a2e-057d-4094-b3cc-beac0bf6fffb">Re: Crate & Barrel vs. Macy's</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't see where you live but Macy's registries in the New York metropolitan area are a mess and I suggest avoiding them. If they are better where you live, fine
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Truth is I don't even live in the States, so I will be choosing everything online, which I think takes care of the "available in store but not online" problem.

I will be registering at some local stores where I live but certain things such as kitchen appliances, dinnerware, serveware, etc are much cheaper to buy overseas and have them shipped to me. (A KitchenAid mixer is about three times the price here.)

I'll probably choose 2 stores for people who don't live here (about half my guest list) to purchase stuff online - just trying to decide between Macy's, C&B and BB&B!

@everyone, thanks for your input - it's all been very helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards