Latino Weddings

FOOD - What are you serving at your Wedding?

Hi,We are having a little bit of difficulty deciding on what to serve at our wedding. We are both Mexican, and were thinking of having beef barbacoa and maybe chicken enchiladas... but when I mention this to some people, they say "Well not everyone likes barbacoa...". And part of me wonders if we serve enchiladas then what type of sauce should we go with? And should we serve something different for the kids so we don't waste food by giving them something they won't eat?So what are you serving your guests at your wedding? I'd love to get some ideas...Thanks!

Re: FOOD - What are you serving at your Wedding?

• jury323jury323 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    me and my FI are also both mexican. well born in US but both our parents are from mexico. We are serving chicken and beef fajitas. =]
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're serving an adobo rubbed flat iron steak, chicken breast marinated in a tamarind-chipotle salsa, and butternut squash stuffed poblano topped with centli as the entrees.  The kids are ordering off the standard kids menu (which has tacos, chicken fingers, and spaghetti).  My menu with apps and dessert is in my bio under "Food & Drinks." 
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Barbacoa con tortillas de maiz...that sounds really good!! We'll probably have American food since FI is not Mexican but I want to incorporate something different too. I will probably see if some of my family would be able to make some since there are not a lot of places that cater Mexican food around where I live. We won't have anything different for the kids to eat.
  • edited December 2011
    We had mexican food at our wedding. It was a plated sit down dinner. Each plate had a sour cream enchilada, a cheese chimichanga, 2 chicken flautas and rice & beans.
  • sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't selected a menu yet, but I'm quite sure we will not be going the "mexican" themed route.  Not that I have anything against that food, on the contrary, we both love it.  Only that our hotel will end up cooking an "americanized" version of mexican food, what we call in Texas...Tex-Mex and we are not fans of that.I was born in Mexico City, so when I think Mexican food, I'm thinking authentic Mexican food, not Tex-Mex, which is NOTHING like authentic mexican food.  ;)Just like going to mexico to eat american cuisine, it wouldn't really be american cuisine.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, that's the problem we have. There is a really good Mexican restaurant calle Guadalajara and they could cater along with who we already will have but not without adding on an additional $1,000 to our budget.
  • CITALAUNICACITALAUNICA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our entree's we went with American cuisine...for our appitizers we added a few things, we having rice & gandules, pernil, and mini tacos and ceviche.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your response ladies! I'm starting to think maybe serving the kids chicken quesadillas, because enchiladas might be too spicy for some (my nephews are barely 1 and 2 yrs. old, plus there are other toddlers that will be coming). As for the adults, well I still think I want barbacoa (I could eat that for days with tortillas or bollios!!) and something with chicken for those who don't like beef or barbacoa. Maybe I should check out food network or something...  
  • edited December 2011
    My future mother in-law is planning the menu, since the reception will be held at my FI's parents' backyard. I'd assume that the usual Mexican fare will be served (enchiladas, fajitas, flan, sopapillas, etc) but we'll nail down the exact menu once we get closer to the wedding date. I'll probably discuss it with her further around March/April of next year since the wedding isn't until October. I'm thinking the women in FI's family will be the ones cooking it all, so I don't want to make it too complicated.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • mfp_10mfp_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having beef and chicken fajitas and brisket because we know that everyone will like that. We were thinking mole but we are both clumsy so that might not turn out so well. Maybe fajitas instead of barbacoa but its your wedding and if you feel most people will like it i don't see any problems.
  • christinam13christinam13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were planing on having chicken and beef fajitas & mole but since we are already going to have mole and it has chicken in it we decided to go with brisket plus it will save us time we are making all the food and its 100+ people and making fajitas would take forever ad to brisket we put it in the roaster and let it cook lol! but mmmm i wanted barbacoa to but we dont know how to make it lol
  • JCARMJCARM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having Arroz con Gandules, Pernil, Pollo Asado, Yuca, Platinos Maduros & Veggies :) Typical Puero Rican Cuisine of course :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards