• edited December 2011
    that "common" is supposed to sound like "Come on!"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Me too.
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep. I got sick to my stomach when I read the headlines this morning. Im so sad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh.  Seriously disappointed.
    Knitting Blog
    Updated 3-12
  • edited December 2011
    Big thumbs down to Maine today!!! It's just sad that it even had to come down to a vote. . .
  • edited December 2011
    I am heartbroken this morning over the vote. Everyone is entitled to equal protection and equal rights under the law.I am especially digusted by the women who took the vote that was hard won for them just 90 years ago, and turned around to use it to oppress another minority group. You can disagree with someone's choices or the way they live their life without denying them equality.We will keep up the fight though, and one day, we'll be amazed a vote like this ever took place. Until then .... :(
  • Torir911Torir911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well... at least we're making some progress. Do you think even 10 years ago 47% of this state would have voted No on this question? I'm certain it'll end up on the ballot again. Now my question is what happens to the gay/lesbian couples that got married in this time period? Are their marriages null and void? Do they have to return their toasters they registered for?
  • edited December 2011
    I really thought No on 1 was going to win. I'm so disappointed! Scare-tactic advertising really does work, I guess. It was pretty close, so I just hope we get a chance to vote again and things end differently!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Torir911 - The law was put on hold pending the referendum, so same-sex marriage has never been valid in Maine. I am incredibly disappointed because I am marrying my fiancee at the Samoset next year and now we will have to go to Massachusetts first to make it legal (in the eyes of the other states that recogonize same-sex marriage). We are going to have an amazing wedding, but it's too bad that it won't amount to a legal marriage.
  • Torir911Torir911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I for one have always found it weird that each state can decide which marriages they want to recognize. You'd think that'd be a national kind of thing.
  • krisdoug13krisdoug13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree...disappointing...but I also believe it won't be the last time it appears on the ballot...look how close it was!
  • edited December 2011
    Aww I'm so glad there are so many progressive, like-minded people on this board! The last time this topic came up on here, someone posted a pretty hateful anti gay marriage response. I for one take comfort in knowing that one day history will remember those who are opposed to same sex marriage the same way it remembers those who were opposed to women's rights, civil rights, and interracial marriage: ignorant, closed minded, and just plain wrong.
  • krisdoug13krisdoug13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree Liza! I think a lot of the anti-gay support (?) is religious based.  I was raised in a religious family, but one thing that was "beaten" into me was that it is wrong to discriminate.  So I think with time, things will change as did laws regarding discrimination against women and African Americans. 
  • jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I was heartsick watching the votes come in. 53% of my neighbors think it's alright to TAKE AWAY a basic human right from an entire group of people. Who -isn't- raised to believe you'll grow up, fall in love, and get married? We'll see it again, and I can only hope those 53% wake up. As a note on the religious note: my father-in-law to be is a minister, and he attended all the no on one rallies. They're an open and affirming congregation. woo!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards