Just Engaged and Proposals

e ring turning yellow

2»

Re: e ring turning yellow

• My engagement ring is Platinum from Blue Nile. I love it 100% but be aware that if you're used to wearing your WG ring and you do decide to get it in Platinum it's going to be MUCH heavier. The weight difference is something I never realized until holding my friends WG ring and being used to my Platinum ring. Palladium is more similar to WG in weight from what I've seen. Just something to note when shopping around.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • SMW42...Nice ring. Very pretty!
    Anniversary
  • thank you!!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Hello, I would make a big stink at Zales. This should not be happening so soon! I have palladium too!! I love my ring, it is cheaper than platinum and it looks great. My jeweler told me it was a new metal that is up and coming. Maybe you could switch to that? My jeweler told us it is 11% more expensive than white gold. Good luck.
  • Yep, I am having the same problem!  I've also been thinking about getting mine set in platinum as well, but haven't looked into it yet.  I'm sure it is quite expensive.  :(  We have the lifetime warranty on our rings, so I can take them in as often as I like to get them "re-rhodiumed", but as you said it would be very often, and I just don't have the time or patience for that!  So maybe the platinum band would be worth it in the end?
  • After reading some of these posts I thought that I should add a few things to mine!I did not get my rings from Zales.  What is happening to your ring is very common.  The first time I got my e-ring dipped was 2 weeks after receiving it.  It only took our jeweler two days to get mine back to me.   And even then after getting it back it was yellowing after a week.  My husband and I went to another jeweler to ask if this was normal, and they said yes.  They also said that our only options were to continue dipping it as often as I'd like or getting them set in a different metal.Hope this helps!  Good luck!
  • I'm glad I read this...I thought it was my eyes or the lighting! I have had my ring for almost about 4 months and it's starting to yellow on the underside, from the top and sides, it looks gorgeous and shiny. It's from an independent jewler, so I'll have to wait awhile to get it done. I'm glad to know it's something that can be easily fixed.
  • well actually i have a platinum ring but its from KAY jewlers and my FI did get me the lifetime insurance and it really is worth it. we went in the other day to look for the bands and the girl who helped my FI out with the ring explained to me that it's normal for the ring to look a little yellow because there's no such thing as {she said a term that i forgot, but it was in reference to the ring} but she told me that it's as simple as walking in and they will shine the ring for you whenever you want. the insurance also had a ring inspection every 6 months and the great thing about it is that as long as you keep up with the inspections, if for any reason you lose your diamond or it cracks or anything of the sort, they'll replace the diamond free of charge.
  • We were also told this was very common with white gold but we decided to take our chances since we've had good luck with it in my family. My mom's e-ring and both my parents wedding bands are WG and in the past 36 years they have never yellow or needed to be dipped. My sister's e-ring is also WG and at 5 years old has not yellowed or been dipped either. I'm going on 7 months and mine looks like it did the day I got it.
  • If you decide to get it re-set, definitely go with palladium!  My ring is palladium from Robbins Bros. and it is just as beautiful and shiny as the day I got it a year ago!  The difference in cost between palladium and platinum is what made him decide to go with that.  It is almost just as hard as platinum, because it is in the platinum family.  Not nearly as costly though!  Hope that helps!
  • My ring is white gold.  It starting looses the white color (mostly underneath) about 6 months after I got it.  I took it to the jeweler finance got it from and they cleaned it up nicely.  You have to pay for cleanings?  Mine are free.
  • Before we got engaged, my fiance had bought me a white gold ring from zales as a christmas present. My ring also turned yellow pretty quickly so when we were looking for engagement rings I ruled out white gold all together. Because I already had my diamonds, we designed my engagement ring in platinum and it was not too expensive. It cost us about $1700 all together and I got a custom ring that I absolutely love.
    Anniversary
  • This happened to my promise ring. I agree with what everyone else has said but it's not only the chemistry of your skin. I work in healthcare and use a lot of hand sanitizer. Apparently that can make it turn yellow too! Just thought I would pass along this advice. Same thing for some cleaning products. Since we wear our rings all the time we might not realize how much we expose it to on a day to day basis.
  • I have a promise ring from a "mall jeweler" which turns yellow all the time and I have it dipped 3-4 times a year. My engagement ring is custom from a higher end jeweler and hasn't so far turned yellow, I've had it 4 months. I know this happens, and I will need to eventually have my engagement ring done, but I think the quality of the work makes a difference. I will be taking both rings to the higher end place when I need something done.
  • Any white gold ring will eventually need to be redipped in rhodium no matter where it came from. This probably has nothing to do with Zales, it's just the way white gold is created. I had mine dipped last month for the first time (engaged in February). It looks like new!
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Ironically enough... my ring came from Zales also! Can you say HORRIBLE service! I refuse to deal with Zales whatsoever. In fact, I take my ring to Kays to get anything done. All you need to do is get it "re-dipped." I believe I paid $30 at Kays and they were absolutely wonderful! They sent my ring off (it was gone for i believe a week) but came back looking brand new!
  • Yep. White gold is just yellow gold with a plating that needs upkeep to stay white. I decided to go with palladium for my e-ring. It is cheaper than platinum, the same naturally white color, lighter in weight and hard as hell. It looks great.
  • My e-ring also came from Zales as did several other pieces of jewelry (birthstone ring, diamond earrings, 2 diamond necklaces). All of my pieces are in white gold and all of them have the lifetime warranty on them. I've taken each piece in every 6 months for cleaning and inspection to make sure the prongs aren't loose and things like that. My fiance bought my ring in February even though we didn't get engaged until April Fools Day. It has lost a little of its shine but with white gold I knew you needed to have it re-dipped so that's what I did. I took it in to Zales a few weeks before our e-pics since I wanted it super shiny for the pics and within a week I had my ring back. I plan on getting it re-dipped every 6 months. After all, it is free and it keeps my ring looking shiny. This is the ONLY piece I've had to have re-dipped however this is the only piece that I wear ALL THE TIME!!! I work in the receiving department of a large retail store and spend a lot of time working with horses on my parents farm so my ring has seen it all. I don't think your problem is with Zales. A little up-keep is needed to keep your e-ring shiny and new looking. Even though you brush your teeth daily you still go in for a CLEANING and checkup every 6 months. Why wouldn't you do the same for your e-ring?
  • I have also heard that if you use Purell that it will cause your WG ring to turn faster.  I don't know if it's just the brand name Purell or if it's generics too....  I have had my ring sense July and it's just starting to turn, but I was going to have all that taken care of when I take it for the 6 month inspection.
  • ammonia based cleaning agents will make it turn yellow faster so if you clean it often don't let it soak in there just dip it and brush it clean then rinse it well.
  • I agree that Palladium is a way to go for durability,and cost effectiveness. I love mine, and it does need buffed from time to time, but I've found if you buy it at your jewelers, they are happy to clean and buff it for free. Or at least any good jewelry store that wants to keep your business will.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got a yellow gold ring because it is less maintnence, but even so we went for the warenty. I think its worth the worenty and u can have it size to fit better and have it cleaned and inspected every so often. As well if u loose a dimond they replace it. I'd look into it if I were u
  • Part of your problem is that the ring is probably rhodium coated over the yellow gold.  Sometimes places will do that to save money because they don't change metals during the casting process, just dip a percentage of the rings in rhodium to make them "white"...In all fairness though, if it's only been two weeks, that's just poor workmanship.  Try asking for "solid white gold" as an option to your current setting.  I have had a solid white gold setting and it's still perfect after a year.  I know you might not want to part with your ring so soon, but remember you'll be wearing it for a very, very long time and you want it to be perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards