New York-Long Island

Vineyard wedding?

Hi all - am trying to plan a very small, no frills wedding at a vineyard on the South Fork - 35 people max, including the wedding party.  Have talked with Wolffer and await a quote.  Has anyone done something similar and can share ideas, costs, etc?  Thanks

Re: Vineyard wedding?

• J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!I will tell you that we started initially searching vineyards. Vineyards on LI are very expensive. The cheapest site fee I got was $3K and that was only two of them. Most of them range upwards into the 5K+++.And as I'm sure you are aware you have to bring everything in. There are lots of limitations. I'm really not trying to scare you from doing it. I would have/still want to do a vineyard wedding. But for us it's most likely not in the budget.Another option is Vineyard Caterers which is more of a catering hall that's on a private vineyard. I tried contacting (twice) them a while back and no one ever got back to me. Even though other brides have had success on here?Here is a list I found via Google but I"m not convinced on those prices. Already a couple I know are higher.http://www2.timesreview.com/WP/Stories/wp062909_wedding_guidehttp://digital.timesreview.com/pdfEdition_show_pdf.php?file=twp_10042008_m_30.pdfI would be more than happy to forward you quotes I've gotten from a couple vineyards if you want. jwwedding2010 at gmail dot comGood Luck!
  • J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hm. I'm not sure how the pricing will change for a smaller wedding for 30.
  • inaJaMinaJaM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for starters there is a site fee at most vineyards regardless of how many guests. saturday's are prime time, reach deep.  however during the off season now til May you can score some great deals with vendors on the east end. I am sure vineyards caterers and martha clara can assist you during this time of year.  i know for example gurney's and east end entertainment both have great rates during the slower season...good luck
  • eleroseelerose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info.  I actually got a quote from Wolffer for a Sat night in June - JUST the site fee was $16,500!!!  What are they smoking on Long Island?  I am willing to do a weekday afternoon instead so am awaiting a quote for that.  crazy.
  • edited December 2011
    The reason it is probably so expensive is because it is "in the hamptons".  If you are dead set on South shore, you might run into that problem.  I would suggest maybe looking at raphael...they have a kitchen on premises, or any of the smaller "no-name" (meaning not martha clara or pindar) vineyards.  With only 35 ppl they may be able to accomodate you in their larger tasting rooms, which would cut out having to order the tent, floor, bathrooms etc.  Possibly even look at Pelegrini (but call and tell them the situation with the amount of guests).  They have a separate tasting room inside that we have reserved for tastings... Hope this helps, and Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    i looked into Raphaels vineyard. they have a $10,000 or $15,000 site fee and then it was $165 per head. the reasoning behind the site fee is that they close the vineyard for you and they lose business to any wine tasting. but i cant imagine them making $15,000 in wine tasting in one day. i could be wrong and also in the wrong kind of business. some of the other vineyards have cheaper site fees but then you have to rent everything yourself including a porter potty! look into trumpets at the gate. this is where we are having ours. i wanetd that small intimate feel like the vineyard has and this place provides that. its also located on the water. the food is fantastic as well.
  • edited December 2011
    The Vineyard Caterers requires a much higher minimum than 35 people...
  • eleroseelerose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All good information.  Am now considering barefoot on the beach and BBQ in the backyard of our vacation rental!!!  Anybody have beach info?  Will be staying in Bridgehampton.
  • edited December 2011
    give mike from east end enterrtainment a call. I am working with him and he seems to know alot of information about both the north and south fork venues caterers. and obvisously music www.eastende.com
  • J+WJ+W
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!If you considering a "backyard" wedding at a rental I would suggest looking on VRBO for rentals in the Hampton. There are a couple places that allow weddings and I'm sure being that it will only be ~30 or so there should be no issues.I looked into that briefly as well and there was one in particular I found that was a whole estate (2-3 separate sleeping building one being the main house) right on the water. It was pretty flippin' nice! Let me know if you're interested and I can dig through my emails. =)
  • edited December 2011
    Most of our beaches out here are for residents only- meaning they have parking regulations. On Dune road the town of southampton has a beautiful room that they do rent (fees are not high you can check on the town of southhamptons website) You will need permits for any beach that you check out ( and tip u usually need to know someone to get them- I know people and they were still pricey) remember that there will be major regulations in any hamptons community and if u want june u will be paying a premimum. I hope this helps Im sorry if it sounds like a downer just wish someone had warned me before I did all the leg work for nothing. Good luck
  • lm3898lm3898 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard (631 462-6602); Bedell Cellars (631 734-7537); Castello di Borghese Vineyard & Winery (631-734-5111); Clovis Point (631 722-4222); Diliberto Winery (631 722-3416); Duck Walk Vineyards (631 726-7555 Water Mill; 631 765-3500 Southold); Harbes Family Vineyard (631 298-0700); Jamesport Vineyards (631-722-5256); Laurel Lake Vineyards (631-298-1420); The Lenz Winery (631-734-6010); Macari Vineyards & Winery (631 298-0100); Martha Clara Vineyards (631-298-0075); The Old Field (631-765-0004)-MUST CALL; Osprey's Dominion Vineyards (631-765-6188); Palmer Vineyards (631-722-9463); Paumanok Vineyards (631 722-8800); Peconic Bay Winery (631-734-7361); Pellegrini Vineyards (631-734-4111); Pindar Vineyards (631 734-6200); Roanoke Vineyards (631 727-4161); Shinn Estates Vineyards (631 804-0367); Vineyard 48 (631 734-5200); and Wölffer Estate (631-537-5106). For further information, visit the individual wineries web sites by clicking on their links on the Vineyards & Wineries page on our website.   For further information visit the individual wineries' web sites by clicking on their links on the Vineyards & Wineries page.Also visit NorthForkWeddings.com or SouthForkWeddings.com - a web portal for events and wedding information. Good luck!
  • FaeStarsFaeStars member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe look into a B&B out there? This one does weddings but I'm not sure about the details http://www.jedediahhawkinsinn.com/weddings.php
    Vineyard Caterers gave me a 100 ppl minimum for the price they gave me. The site fees at the all the vineyards are definitely insane! It can't hurt to go see them though, they may give you free tastings!
  • happy0101happy0101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anyone have any luck in lower site fees during off peak season?  If so, do you know when off peak season ends and begins?  I've just started to look and the fees are insane, so far the cheapest I've found is Lenz at $5,000 which I think is still a lot for not including anything.  J+W what were the two places that you found for $3k?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi I am a realtor in East Quogue and I have lived here my entire life.  There are a few good places to get a vineyard wedding for only 35 People.  Here are my suggestions. 

Laurel Lakes Vineyard ....My aunt and uncle had a small wedding here, its a great place for a small wedding and I dont think its too expensive. http://www.llwines.com/

Ronanoke Vineyards....a small place in Riverhead where you could rent a tent and have it outdoors.

Olde Feild Vineyards.  This is a great place on the water.  I think my friends had a small wedding like yours 35 people and it cost $10000 with EVERYTHING.  http://www.theoldfield.com/

Martha Clara Vineyards....they have a small room you could rent for a reception and I think its only $350 I heard.  I think that may be winter prices, you can check into that.  The room is really nice, right on the vineyard, beamed ceilings, plenty of tables and chairs you just need to get the food and staff.

Now, there are few others ideas if you want that feel for cheap.  Here are few ideas I know because I live here. 

Tiana Shores Beach Club.  This is a small place on the water with a ballroom and a kitchen.  You would supply all the catering.  You get the place from Friday to Sunday and you do all the cleaning etc.  If you hire catering then they would do it.  They charge $3000 for the weekend, and I bet you can negotiate it.  However, if you know someone who is a member, the fee is about $1500.  (or you can become a member and its like 800 +1500) 

Founders Landing.  Again a place on the water, it is in Southold.  Again you have to know someone who lives there, but the cost is only $250 to rent it for the day.  You pass a bunch of vineyards so it could work.

The Baker Estate.  This is a private home where you would have to rent a tent.  I dont know his pricing, but its beautiful and if you were flexible with the time you wanted to do it....like after Labor day, I bet you could get a good deal.  http://www.hamptonbakerestate.com/

Other Ideas:

Town of Southampton offers a few spots to rent for a weddings.  The best location is Summers Beach Club in Hampton Bays.  It is right on the ocean.  The cost is $175 and then $150 if you serve alcohol...approximately.  Its a great place and if it rains your fine because its indoors and outdoors.  You could get married on the beach and then do the reception inside.  The town also has a few other places, but I dont think they allow alcohol. 

Restaurant ideas:

Indian Island Golf Course, Riverhead NY.....cheap place on water to have a small wedding.

The problem with renting a house is that you would have to get insurances and many people will not allow you to do it, but you may find someone.  I know a lot of other ideas as well so just ask!

• edited December 2011
    One other thing....there are many restaurants you could just do the wedding for.  I know Villa Tuscano in Hampton a very good restaurant with a nice room for parties.  They are about $35-$55 a person including alcohol.  That would be roughly $66 per person with tax and gratuity if doing alcohol.  So $2310 for the whole dinner.....app entree dessert.  Also, Edgewater Restaurant in Hampton Bays is very similar pricing, but the view and the place is great...inside is really nice.  I am sure you could do the same at a restaurant out in Bridgehampton, but it would be a lot more money!  I did mine in Hampton Bays at Top Of The Wharf restaurant...I think its now $85-100 a head but it was beautiful, we had a luau wedding but its right at the inlet on the ocean. 

Also, I think there may be a restaurant right outside of Wolfer estate.  Its a bbq restaurant.  Maybe do it in a tent there and view the vineyard.

Oh wait!!!   One more idea is in Mattituck.  Its a great place for a small wedding!!!  Ive been there.  This is so perfect for you.  You rent the barn and the backyard of the barn which is a large vineyard and farm field.  My friends had a wedding in the back of the barn, then you go inside the barn for the reception or cocktail hour.  The place I am sure can recommend some great caterers.  I think its really cheap too...(well $1600 or something). 

http://www.hallockville.com/site_facilities_rental.html

sorry if I am filling you up with too much info...I love doing this...I was just on here looking for my friends bachelorette party, and then I saw this post.  Hope it helps!
  • albstar312albstar312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi 
    you have so much info and I could really use your help! Could you email or message me! I need some ideas!
    Thanks!
  • TheeduchessTheeduchess member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Greetings All,
    I am strongly considering having my wedding at Pellegrini Vineyards in 2013. For the bride that was considering her wedding there, did you choose them? If so which vendors did you use? I'm speaking with On the Forks, the Larry Kolar Catering Company and I wanted to know if you used them as well. 

Please advise!! Thanks!

• I would like info from anyone that has been to or has had a vineyard wedding.
    What are the surpises, the things you forgot to expect or ask. Hidden fees, bugs,
    bad weather. Your input is greatly appreciated.
  • Has anyone worked with the Bakers at the Baker estate? We are really interested in that site and I am just wondering if anyone has worked with them before.
  • We had our wedding at Martha Clara Vineyards in 2003...it was super affordable. The site fee was Only $1500 and it included the tent! Now I hear it's super expensive! Some surprises that we had when doing an event like this at a vineyard was 1. The weather-it rained for our ceremony so we had to do it under the tent. Be prepared. 2. After is rained it was super hot! So if you are having a summer wedding you need to rent fans. 3. You have to rent bathrooms. We didn't want the ugly port-a-potty. We got really nice looking potties ;) very fancy but they came at a price. I believe they ran $3000. 4. Do your food, tables, chairs etc with the same caterer. You don't want the hassle of coordinating everyone. Other than that vineyard weddings are beautiful and super special. 9 years later and people still talk about our wedding! Have fun planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards