California-Northern

Wedding Priorities

So to get the board going a bit more and to help the new knotties figure out what is important to them... here is a new survey!Budget:Whose paying:Venue info:Why did you pick that venue:Colors or Theme:Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet:Traditional or Modern wedding:What are your top 5 priorities:Seated or Buffet or Apps only:Which extras are MUST haves for you?Which extras are you cutting?Examples of "extras" --UplightingLive BandVideographerCalligraphy and/or letterpress invitationsBridal portraits/B-pics/TTDWedding Coordinator and/or DOCHired Musicians for ceremonyBride/Groom GiftsMUAMonogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc)Letterpress or Pocketfold InvitationsLimo/Carriage/Fancy getawaySparklers/BubblesAisle RunnerToss BouquetMidnight snack barHors d'oeuvres /Cocktail HourOpen bar

Re: Wedding Priorities

• jackelbridejackelbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Budget: started with around $10k then ended up spending about $24k without rings or honeymoonWhose paying: My parents paid about 60% and we paid about 40%Venue info:Eagle Ridge in GilroyWhy did you pick that venue:The cards stacked up to a perfect venue for us! It's halfway between where we live and where my parents/cousins/uncles moved to a few years ago. The weather in October is AMAZING in that small strip of the Bay Area from Gilroy to Santa Cruz. We could afford full catering and an open bar there. Floral, cake, and DJ were also included to minimize costs and my efforts as far looking for vendors, interviews, and quotes. The reviews are spot on -- amazing!Colors or Theme:No real color palette: orange, purple, red, yellow, light blue, ivory...Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet:I had a lot of dresses (8)... I ended up wearing an Allure 8445 that fit me straight off the sample rack... and the price was awesome.Traditional or Modern wedding:A bit of both. I'm an edgy traditionalist.What are your top 5 priorities:Ours were outside ceremony/inside reception at the same venue with gorgeous grounds, open bar for the entire time - not just beer & wine, photography, floral (which did not start off as a priority but became one over time), and my dress obsession (which also wasn't an issue at first until I turned into a crazy dress lady)Seated or Buffet or Apps only:Seated - we were torn on this one for a long timeWhich extras are MUST haves for you?Uplighting - worth it 100%Videographer - also worth every pennyMUASparklers/BubblesToss BouquetHors d'oeuvres /Cocktail HourOpen barWhich extras are you cutting?Live Band - rather listen to the original than a crappy version I paid thousands forCalligraphy and/or letterpress invitations - silly! people just throw these awayBridal portraits/B-pics/TTD - did the b-pics on the cheap otherwise I would have skipped itWedding Coordinator and/or DOC - I had a knottie do it!Hired Musicians for ceremony Bride/Groom GiftsMonogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) - my venue gave us free cocktail napkinsLetterpress or Pocketfold Invitations - oops! this is on here twice (see above)Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway - We drove ourselvesAisle Runner Midnight snack bar
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So to get the board going a bit more and to help the new knotties figure out what is important to them... here is a new survey! Budget: 22,500 to 25,000 Whose paying: FI and I are paying for the majority, but our parents are chipping in to help. Venue info: Croatian American Cultural Center, Sacramento, CA Why did you pick that venue: It's perfect for us! Everything from price, to decor, to ceremony site, to location. Colors or Theme: White with pops of yellow and fuchsia (Romantic Summer Fun) Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Mori Lee 2306 Traditional or Modern wedding: Traditional What are your top 5 priorities: ceremony, food/beverage, music, photography, decor Seated or Buffet or Apps only: We're doing a buffet Which extras are MUST haves for you? uplighting, photo booth, calligraphy (done by my dad), flower petal toss and sparklers, open bar Which extras are you cutting? bridal portraits/ttd/b-pics
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooooh I had a photobooth must have too! It was a hit!We also upgraded our linens and rented chiavaris. I could have done without the chairs but the linens were awesome.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    adgenya  - your RD dress is so cute... $25!?!?!
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jackel-I've been thinking about linens. Our venue supplies white linens, but I kind of would like white with some texture. I'm just not sure yet. Oh, and thanks about the dress. It's a random find, but I love it!
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: 25-30,000 Whose paying: Both sides of parents luckilyVenue info: Half Moon Bay Golf CourseWhy did you pick that venue: I wanted an ocean view, FI wanted golf, we got two in one plus it is close for our family and friendsColors or Theme: Deep Garnet and Muted fall colors... Old Hollywood Glamour, I guessDress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Maggie Sottero Aniston is my favorite but that can change depending on what looks good on me. I really would love to have a reception dress too but I will have to convince my mom on that one ;)Traditional or Modern wedding: Mix of BothWhat are your top 5 priorities: Great Food, Great Music, Great Photography, Party to Remember, GOOD WEATHER!Seated or Buffet or Apps only: SeatedWhich extras are MUST haves for you? I would have said Chiviari chairs but those are included with the venue. I guess great linens to complete the lookWhich extras are you cutting? Champagne toast ($8 a head) Uplighting - NO Live Band - NO Videographer - NO Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations - YES, but have printer connections so not paying normal price for letterpress Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD -NO Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC - Yes, only $500 additional and I know they will be worth it. Hired Musicians for ceremony - NO, DJ will do it Bride/Groom Gifts - YES, something small not extravagent MUA - YES, luckily on of my Bridesmaid's cousins is a MUA for the stars and is willing to fly up from LA to do our makeup Monogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) - YES, Napkins, Coasters are through our connection, wouldn't be doing them if we had to pay the cost they are online. I will be making a bunch of things too, to save money. Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations- Letterpress invites designed by me, printed by connection.Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway- NO, we are staying at the Ritz and it is literally steps away from the clubhouse. Sparklers/Bubbles - NOPE Aisle Runner - NOPE  Toss Bouquet - NOPE, but florist said to use a bridesmaid's one if it is ok with them. My MOH already said I could use hers and hopefully she catches it! Midnight snack bar - YES, our favors are going to be a cookie and brownie bar that people can eat there are take home with them in personalized bags. Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour - YES, open bar for an hour and 1 Stationary Hors d'oeuvres and 4 passed ones Open bar- NO, only during cocktail hour, Beer and Wine will be provided which is what most of our guests drink Additionals: No transportation for bridal party. I am paying for a suite the night before for any of the girls who want to stay over with me, and then we will take golf carts to the reception from the room. FI is doing the same for the guys  
  • apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Budget: Was $10K, but I think I can do it for under $9K now :)Whose paying: Probably 50% his mom, 40% us, 10% my parents. Not sure yet though. If nobody gives us a check, we'll pay it all ourselves.Venue info: Ceremony is on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Reception is at a restaurant.Why did you pick that venue: The ceremony site is the most beautiful place I've ever been - no brainer! The reception site is affordable, pretty and has a really nice coordinator.Colors or Theme: Apple green/dark bluesDress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Not sure... probably A-line, sweetheart neckline. That's all I've got.Traditional or Modern wedding: Non-traditional.What are your top 5 priorities: Hmmm... that we get married, that people have fun, that nobody is stressed, the locations, and I guess overall decor of the reception?Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Apps, then buffet.Which extras are MUST haves for you? I can't think of anything. A lot of budget brides cut out floral centerpieces and alcohol, but we're having those.Which extras are you cutting?Examples of "extras" -- Uplighting - Cut Live Band - Free on Sat. nights with our restaurant venue woo hoo!! Videographer - Cut Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations - Cut Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD - Cut Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC - KEEP (DOC) Hired Musicians for ceremony - KEEP Bride/Groom Gifts - Cut MUA - Not sure Monogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) - Cut Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations- Cut Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway - Not sure. If anything, it will be a towncar.  Sparklers/Bubbles - Cut Aisle Runner - Flower petals Toss Bouquet - Cut. No toss TYVM Midnight snack bar - Probably cut Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour - KEEP Open bar - Cut
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: 5-7k Who paid: We paid it all. Dh's parents kicked in a little, but I don't know what the percentege was. Venue info: Cliffhouse for lunch, Eagle Point for ceremony and cake & champagne reception. Why did you pick that venue: Cliffhouse because it is close to Eagle Point. Eagle Point because it has great views of the Golden Gate and the bay. Colors or theme: Colors started out as blue and purple, ended up mostly blue and purple with a huge amount of apathy towards it all. Dress design: Davids Bridal. Don't remember the style number. Traditional or modern wedding: Unique. We couldn't make the timing work for wedding then traditional reception, so we served lunch, got married, then served cake and champagne. Top 5 priorities: Photos, photos, photos.
  • edited December 2011
    To finish the rest of the questions not using my iPhone...What are your top 5 priorities:1. Photos2. Enjoying the day3. Flowers4. Photos5. Cake!Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Seated lunch at the reception.Which extras are MUST haves for you? Our "extra" was a suite at the Bay Area Classic watching the Giants play the A's with all our close family and friends.Which extras are you cutting? We had a very simple ceremony. We did not have many extras because the day was so un-traditional.Examples of "extras" -- Uplighting - none Live Band - no dancing or music Videographer - thought about it, but decided against it. Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations - cut Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD - I may still do a TTD, because I stained the dress with chocolate during the ceremony, but we cut the rest. Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC - cut (at the last minute, my MIL stepped in and made sure the day went smoothly. I love her all the more for it, because it was completely voluntary on her part.) Hired Musicians for ceremony - cut Bride/Groom Gifts - I gave DH a new camera and he gave me pearl and diamond earrings to match my grandmothers pearls that I wore that day. MUA - cut Monogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) - cut Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations - cut Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway - really wanted to, but the cost was not feasable and I wasn't willing to cut more from elsewhere to make it work. Sparklers/Bubbles - cut. Aisle Runner - cut Toss Bouquet - At the request of the 2 single women at the ceremony, they requested that we NOT do the bouquet toss. Which I was okay with. If we had, I would have gotten a toss bouquet. Midnight snack bar - Our wedding was over well before midnight. By the time midnight rolled around, most of the wedding party was drunk in the hotel bar. Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour - not feasable with the way we had our day timed. Open bar - included. We felt it would overly complicate things if we had some things paid and others not.
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: around 25,000Whose paying: mostly his parents, but we've paid a few deposits here and thereVenue info: Elliston Vineyards, Sunol, CAWhy did you pick that venue: It was perfect for our outdoor ceremony and classyColors or Theme: My bridesmaids are wearing a grape colored BM dress and we're thinking white and purple orchids with yellow in our theme as well.Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: I am wearing a strapless modified sweetheart neckline white Demetrios gown with an attached chapel train. I LOVE my dress! I'm thinking about wearing a feather with rhinestones in my hair with a long single piece of tulle as my veil to extend to the floor. Traditional or Modern wedding: It will have a little bit of both but mostly leaning towards a Modern wedding, we are having it outside and having my best friend officiate the ceremony. =)What are your top 5 priorities: My top five priorities are making sure that I remain calm during the wedding weekend and enjoy myself to the fullest!! I want both of our families to meet each other and have a wonderful time. I just want to celebrate with my family and friends and have a BLAST! =)Seated or Buffet or Apps only: We are doing a seated dinner.Which extras are MUST haves for you? Anything that falls under my bride beauty! I want to get my nails done, my hair done, facials, everything! I want to go into a Sephora and buy the nicest products for myself and splurge! Which extras are you cutting? I am actually using most of these =)Examples of "extras" --Uplighting, we will haveLive Band, we decided to go with a DJ but I'm pretty stoked since they seem amazing! Denon&Doyle DJsVideographer, my uncle will be doing this!Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations, my soon to be hubby is great with his calligraphy pens bought from Michael'sBridal portraits/B-pics/TTD, I'm having these and I am thinking about doing Bphotos for my fiance as a gift to him!Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC, yes provided by the venueHired Musicians for ceremony, since it is an outdoor wedding there is to be no amplified music so we went ahead a arranged The Exeter String Quartet for our ceremony music as well as cocktail hour music..I love string music!Bride/Groom Gifts DEFINITELY doing these!MUA--I don't know what this means! heheMonogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) I don't think so, maybe stickers for our centerpieces but not sure yet. No napkins with our info on it thoughLetterpress or Pocketfold Invitations Nah don't think soLimo/Carriage/Fancy getaway Nope. Prob just use our rental car and decorate it with "Just Married" on it lol since we will be staying in the area and honeymooning in the Bay areaSparklers/Bubbles, yes bubbles!Aisle Runner, yes I believe so, I also would want flowers on the side of the aisle runnerToss Bouquet, yes of courseMidnight snack bar, NoHors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour, Of course! we want our guests to mingle and snack on some foodOpen bar, no open bar, I believe we purchased the package that includes Wine, Champagne, and soda, etc.
    "All adventurous women do."-GIRLS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jackel - who was your DOC? Think I could utilize her as well?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Apple - she's an old knottie that I met from knottie wedding crashing and some other knottie GTGs but she's not on here anymoreI've DOC'd for another knottie that I only met right before her wedding (we got married at the same venue)You can either do a trade with a knottie or ask for a favor. When is your wedding again? I might be able to do it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would be awesome! Our reception site comes with a coordiantor so we mostly need help with setting up the ceremony. It's September 28, 2010 in Santa Cruz :)
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So to get the board going a bit more and to help the new knotties figure out what is important to them... here is a new survey!Budget: Between $15k and $20k I guess...it's ridiculous how expensive venues are.Whose paying: My parents are being huge helps and handling mosto f it. I bought my dress and accessories, STDS and I'll buy the invitations, and stuff for DIY centerpieces, favors and place cards. We're saving as much as we can pn top of that to give some back to my parents. His family is going to try and handle the RD.Venue info: Arden Hills ResortWhy did you pick that venue: Well our venue we were set on sort of gave away our date. So we looked for places that had our date open, and when we went to check it ou, we really liked it!Colors or Theme: Colors will be red, white and blue.Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Alfred Angelo dress.Traditional or Modern wedding: I guess it's pretty traditional.What are your top 5 priorities: That we get married. :)Seated or Buffet or Apps only: It's seated.Which extras are MUST haves for you? I think will do sparklers since it's 4th of July weekendWhich extras are you cutting? No live band, or calligraphy or videographer I don't think. I'm not really into the whole mongram thing. We're having a wedding consult, comes with the venue.Examples of "extras" -- Uplighting Live Band Videographer Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC Hired Musicians for ceremony Bride/Groom Gifts MUA Monogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway Sparklers/Bubbles Aisle Runner Toss Bouquet Midnight snack bar Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour Open bar
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: Hoping 15k, turned out around 23-25k Whose paying: The wedding was mostly me and my savings account, my parents helped put a nice part towards our future house, and in-laws paid for honeymoon cruise. Venue info: Garre Winery in Livermore Why did you pick that venue: It was gorgeous! Nature, a tent, vineyards. Just as I hoped. Colors or Theme: Green, Brown, and Creams/White Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Pronovias/LaSposa, (Spanish lace! I love spanish lace.) Traditional or Modern wedding: A guess a mix What are your top 5 priorities: Guest enjoyment, Photography, Food, DJ, DIY/Personal Details. Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Buffet. We love tasting all sorts of food so this made sense. Which extras are MUST haves for you? Photobooth! (with props) Videographer, Small activity kits for the kids, Toss Bouquet, Petal throw, Hors d'oeuvres, Parent/Grandparent handkerchiefs, Paper Lanterns. Which extras are you cutting? MUA - my sister did this and she was amazing. Uplighting, Chivari chairs, Cookie Bar, Fancy getaway car, Live band, Calligraphy great idea!

• cecinoaklandcecinoakland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Budget: about 19kWhose paying: my parents paid for about 2/3 of it, his parents gave us a couple thousand, and we paid the restVenue info: brazilian room in tilden park, berkeleyWhy did you pick that venue: because tilden park is beautiful! we wanted something near our home in oakland and definitely not a church wedding. we wanted a short engagement and it was booked until late next year so we had it on a thursday. it saved us several thousand dollars.Colors or Theme: all shades of grey (the flowers were white, deep purple and grey-green foliage. and no roses because i don't care for them. mostly dahlias.). my mom was worried it would be either dull or morbid, but it was gorgeous. We used vinyl records as the "theme" of the party because we're both into music, but it was mostly abstracted so lots of concentric circles.Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: i dreaded dress shopping. i knew i didnt want a strapless. i saw a priscilla of boston dress i loved and didnt want to pay 5k for, so i had a reproduction made.Traditional or Modern wedding: more on the modern side.What are your top 5 priorities: good photog, tasty food, good tunes (especially our first dance song which my husband wrote and recorded!), photobooth(in retrospect, this was the BEST money spent), transportationSeated or Buffet or Apps only: passed apps, buffet dinner, tiramisu (instead of cake) servedWhich extras are MUST haves for you? *MUA- KEEP! so glad i decided to spend this money and not try to do it myself as husband suggested*photobooth!*Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway- KEEP, 21 seat bus for bridal party and other folks staying at the same hotel (money well spent! much drunk driving on windy roads avoided)Which extras are you cutting?*Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour - KEEP although venue only allowed beer and wine so no actual cocktails*Open bar- only beer, wine, champagne, but we bought tons of it *Bride/Groom Gifts - KEEP! necklaces from etsy for the ladies, converse for the boys (they wore 'em in the ceremony)Things we did withoutUplighting - woulda been cool, but CUTLive Band - CUT (ipod and my husband's sound equipment was just fine. and song requests on the rsvp cards.)Videographer - CUT (friend's wife taped the ceremony)Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations - CUT (love love letterpress but too expensive. designed own invites, faked calligraphy by tracing lightly printed script. it looked great!)Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD - CUTWedding Coordinator and/or DOC - CUT Hired Musicians for ceremony - CUTMonogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc) CUT!Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations - CUT! We printed the invite with the rsvp card on the bottom and used a perforating blade to make it a tear off postcard.Sparklers/Bubbles - CUT, not allowed by venue Aisle Runner- CUT not interestedToss Bouquet- CUT didnt want, not that sentimental about my bouquet, and forgot to do that whole bouquet toss anyway. oops!Midnight snack bar- huh? CUTPaying extra to rent chargers- CUT! We used records we bought for 25¢ a piece to go with our "rock themed" receptionFancy candleholders- CUT, we bought drinking glasses from ikea... which i'd be happy to give to any knottie who wants 'em. they are a bit covered in wax unfortunately.wedding ring - CUT i'm not big on jewelry, so we just used my engagement ring which is actually more of a wedding band.Officiant- CUT well, ok we had one, but it was a good friend, not a hired person and he was AMAZING!
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: 20-25kWhose paying: My parents are paying for the food/bev and the dress. FI and I are covering the rest. Venue info: Marriott in San MateoWhy did you pick that venue: It's halfway between where we live and where our families/other friends live. Plus it has the outdoor ceremony and indoor reception at the same place. Colors or Theme: Black and white with light pink accents. Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Oleg Cassini CT282Traditional or Modern wedding: A bit of both? What are your top 5 priorities: Photography, outdoor ceremony, open bar, being able to invite everyone we wanted to. Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Seated dinner w/ cocktail hour. Which extras are MUST haves for you?string quartet for ceremony (FI's must have), DOC (a friend is coordinating), groom gift, hair and make up, aisle runner, cocktail hour, open bar!Which extras are you cutting?videographer, calligraphy, b-pics, limo/getaway car (we're "taking the elevator home"), no garter/bouquet toss.
  • edited December 2011
    Budget: $25,000-$30,000Who is paying:  Mostly my parents, but FI and I will take care of some of the miscellaneous random stuff, and we are hoping his parents will follow through on paying for the rehearsal dinner.Venue info:  Lake Merced Golf Club in Daly CityWhy did you pick that venue:  Outdoor ceremony with indoor reception, classy yet comfortable, close to us and FI's family and our friends, and FI's parents are members there so it is significant to them.Colors or Theme:  Teal, maybe with silver accents and pale pink flowers??Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet:  "Deanna" by Enzoani (LOVE it!!!)Traditional or Modern wedding: a mix of both - I like to call it "classic with a twist"What are your top 5 priorities: getting married, sharing this day with our friends and family, photos!!!!!, food, musicSeated or Buffet or Apps only:  seatedWhich extras are MUST haves for you? [see below]Which extras are you cutting?  [see below] Uplighting:  UNDECIDED.  Most likely cutting, but if there is room in the budget, will add. Live Band:  CUT Videographer:  UNDECIDED.  Don't really want to spend loads of money on this, so might just get a friend to record it. Calligraphy and/or letterpress invitations:  CUT.  I'm going to try to learn calligraphy (or at least use my halfway decent penmanship).  And we just can't justify spending all that extra money on letterpress.  Bridal portraits/B-pics/TTD:  UNDECIDED/CUT.  Considering doing b-pics as my gift for FI.  Not doing TTD. Wedding Coordinator and/or DOC:  KEEP/CUT.  Not officially hiring a DOC, but between the general manager of the venue (who is a family friend), who will be making sure things run smoothly, and my mom's coworker who will act as an unofficial DOC for us, we should be set. Hired Musicians for ceremony:  CUT (most likely).  Foggy weather and instruments do not get along very well.  Bride/Groom Gifts:  KEEP.  (in some way shape or form) MUA: KEEP.  I don't trust myself to do a good enough job! Monogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc): CUT (most likely). Letterpress or Pocketfold Invitations:  CUT.  (see above re: letterpress.  pocketfold will only happen if i decide to try to DIY.)  Limo/Carriage/Fancy getaway:  CUT. Sparklers/Bubbles: CUT. Aisle Runner: CUT.  Ceremony will be on the grass - don't want to have an aisle runner full of holes!  Instead, we'll probably line the aisle with petals. Toss Bouquet: UNDECIDED.  Not sure yet if we'll do the bouquet toss.  I like the idea of having the traditional element, but there may not be enough single ladies there for it to not be awkward!  Midnight snack bar: CUT.  Hors d'oeuvres /Cocktail Hour: KEEP.   Venue has a cocktail lounge so it's the perfect area to have this.  Also don't want guests to starve while we take the rest of our pics! Open bar: KEEP/CUT.  We'll have an "open bar" and "cocktail hour," but we will only be serving beer and wine.
  • bmxxteasebmxxtease member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Budget:  $25K
    Whose paying: Both sets of parents
    Venue info: Adventures by the Sea in Monterey
    Why did you pick that venue:  Not as formal, great scenery, loved the fun feel to it all
    Colors or Theme: beachy, blue, silver, white, kakhi
    Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet:  From DB and their $99 sale... not a priority so not sure about exact style #
    Traditional or Modern wedding: both or in between, non-traditional given it wasn't at a church and it was on a Monday (4 yr anniv.) but not totally modern with uplighting or loungy feel
    What are your top 5 priorities:  Location, photography, guests, having fun- /> DJ 
    Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Buffet
    Which extras are MUST haves for you? Make-up artist, toss bouquet, kids favors, engagement pics,
    Which extras are you cutting?  everything else listed as extras

Examples of "extras" --UplightingLive BandVideographerCalligraphy and/or letterpress invitationsBridal portraits/B-pics/TTDWedding Coordinator and/or DOCHired Musicians for ceremonyBride/Groom GiftsMUAMonogrammed "Extras" (parasol, napkins, etc)Letterpress or Pocketfold InvitationsLimo/Carriage/Fancy getawaySparklers/BubblesAisle RunnerToss BouquetMidnight snack barHors d'oeuvres /Cocktail HourOpen bar
  • liannadptliannadpt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Budget: $10-15K initially, most likely going to end up $15-20K
    Whose paying: Parents are paying for the large costs (food, booze, location, photography, dress), we are paying for the rest most likely (music, flowers, invitations, random decor, etc)
    Venue info: Testarossa Winery, Los Gatos
    Why did you pick that venue: It's just amazing and unlike any other wedding I've attended (and I've been to my fair share!)  Plus it completely encompassed the vibe we were going for.  And wedding planner included!
    Colors or Theme: Red and black with an accent of orange
    Dress Designer/Style or vision if you don't have one yet: Form fitting trumpet gown (a la the Vera Wang tiered silk organza I fell in love with and can't quite afford!)
    Traditional or Modern wedding: Mostly modern w/some traditional elements
    What are your top 5 priorities: Ambiance, food, alcohol, photos, friends!
    Seated or Buffet or Apps only: Buffet
    Which extras are MUST haves for you? Live band, open bar
    Which extras are you cutting? Menu cards, programs, possibly favors
  • edited December 2011
    1) Budget:$10,000  wedding & reception + $1,500 honeymoon
    2) Whose paying: mostly me with $3500 help from Matt's parents. My parents would help if they could - but not everyone can.
    3) Venue info: Croatian American Cultural Center
    4) Why did you pick that venue:It is naturally beautiful there and they have all the stuff so I don't have to rent anything and only do minimal decorating. Also, they allow byob w/ no fee
    5) Colors or Theme:Garden theme, colors: purple & green
    6) Dress Designer/Style:David's bridal dress -simple yet elegant chiffon design with a Grecian look.
    6) Traditional or Modern wedding:Modern
    7) What are your top 5 priorities: right now - designing invitations
    8) Seated or Buffet or Apps only: buffet - it's easy and it forces people to get up and mingle
    9) Which extras are MUST haves for you? Open bar (the byob helps + were hitting up bevmo 5cent sale)
    10) Which extras are you cutting? we are cutting almost all "extras" and even some things that are considered standard.
    -no wedding cake: family members are baking their favorite pies (both our families eat pie, not cake for birthdays)
    -no dj or band at reception: hooking up a laptop
    -DIY invitations (Matt is a photographer & graphic designer)
    -no toss boquet or garder toss
    -we are editing and printing our own wedding photographs so we were able to negotiate a cheaper price for photography
    -no florist: buying wholesale and putting bouqets together myself
    -negotiated a cheaper price for dinner by cutting Hors d'oeurves
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards