Nebraska-Omaha

Name Change Process

Hi All,This has been posted on other boards, but i haven't seen it on the Omaha board recently.I grew up in CO so that is where I'm getting married.  I"ve been living in Omaha and going to college for the past 6 years though and will be graduating in May 2010.  Due to timing of how long it takes to get marriage certificates back, I need to change my name out in Omaha.  Should I start at the SS office?  And then head to the DMV?  Any words of wisdom?Thanks!
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name Change Process

• jasarahjasarah member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you have to start at the SS office. I was in and out of there within ten minutes. Then head to the DMV.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ayoung22ayoung22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our marriage license back within a week.  Ditto PP - SS office first, then DMV.  The SS office was really quick for me too.  The lady didn't even look at my ID, just the marriage license.  Also, be sure to check the DMV website for their new permanent address rules and proof of identification.
  • HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually did DMV then SS office and it worked fine for me.  I did them on the same afternoon...went to the DMV and got the new license and then headed right to the SS office.  I'd recommend having the paperwork printed and filled out before you go.  You won't get your new SS card for a few weeks so make sure you do it at a time you won't need your SS card.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • jasarahjasarah member
    edited December 2011
    Just a thought on the paperwork - I had printed it off and filled it out beforehand. When I got to the SS office, all I had to do was sign one or two things, and I was done. I ended up shredding the paperwork at home, since they didn't need it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • teacherlady79teacherlady79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp on filling out the paperwork ahead of time. I was in and out of the SS office in 10 minutes.  The DMV was tougher, because I was also changing my address.  The name change part was easy, but they needed a bazillion documents (in my new name!) to prove my new address.  I had been living with FI for almost a year, but didn't change my address sooner because I didn't want to pay the fee twice.  If you are changing your address, too, make sure you bring a bank statement, utility bill, or credit card bill--in your new name--with your new address on it.  In fact, I think I needed 2 of those documents, but the marriage license with my address worked for one of them.  What a PITA!Good luck!
    Photobucket

My food blog:
    www.stringbeansandskinnyjeans.blogspot.com

Started TTC 03/11
    MFI Diagnosis in 02/12
    6 month wait for quarantined DS, 04/12-10/12
    IUI #1 10/25/12, BFP 11/6! Low rising betas, u/s confirmed blighted ovum 11/26. D&C 12/6. And now we wait again...

[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/35f6e0]My Ovulation Chart[/url]
  • dbrym1dbrym1 member
    edited December 2011
    Ditto previous post about the address change - it is a huge pain now. You need two documents with your married name and new address.  It was especially painful for me because I had to get a new DL with my married name to close on our house and THEN get a new new DL with our new address.  Annoying!  But other than that, it was painless!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards