Chinese Weddings

When do you do the tea ceremony??

Hi everyone I'm new to this board even though I've been on TK for a few months now. I'm Taiwanese and FI is German/Polish. We are thinking about doing a tea ceremony but not sure when it is appropriate to have it. We are having a Catholic ceremony in the early afternoon and then cocktail/reception starts around 6PM. Should I have it during cocktail hour or should it be privately after the ceremony only including immediate family? I've been to a few weddings where the tea ceremony is during reception but since our reception schedule is pretty tight I don't know if I can fit it into the reception. Thanks.

Re: When do you do the tea ceremony??

• edited December 2011
    i dont know when the "right" time is to do the tea ceremony but since we only have an hour btwn the church and cocktails, we're thinking of doing the tea ceremony before the church ceremony.  my FI was hesitant at first b/c he didn't want to see me beforehand but he was ok with it since i'd be wearing a diff dress.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Two popular options imo: 1. If there is a lot of time between the Mass and the cocktail hour, do your tea ceremony at the reception hall before the cocktail hour. This will allow for a bigger guest list. 2. If there is no time inbetween, do it in the morning before Mass at your home. You may even want to cater in a quick lunch for everyone. Of course, because it's at your home, you will need to have a small guest list.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I was reading that it's bad luck to do it in the afternoon? I asked my mom about it but since my family is not very traditional she had no idea. Since we have a 2 1/2 hr window between cocktail and ceremony I think I might do it before cocktail.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not aware of that superstition. But superstitious traditions only matter when the people involved are superstitious. Since your side of the family isn't, go ahead and do it before the cocktail hour. I'm sure it'll be beautiful!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard more and more tea ceremonies not being held in the morning. I am not sure if it's bad luck or not.  We don't have much time in our schedule and the only time we can think of is during the cocktail hour.  It'll only be simple ceremony, though, as it'll only be my immediate family (no extended family here) and his (he's not Asian and FMIL thought his extended family would not be interested).Are you changing into a Mandarin dress for the ceremony?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had our Catholic ceremony at 4:30p and then our Cocktail hour started at 6pm.  The timeframes were too tight to do it during cocktail hour so we decided to have ours during our reception in front of everyone after our first dance and during the time that the salads started being served.  In order to expedite the process, we had everyone that was to be served sit in a big semi-circle of chairs.  To honor and recognize them, we introduced each couple to their seats and so everyone would know who they were.It worked out quite nicely and our American guests were so excited that we shared it with them!  My father and I had our father/daughter dance right after the tea ceremony while everyone was eating dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    If I'm doing the Tea Ceremony before reception start than probably not but if I do it half way through the reception than yes. I was going to change into Qipao half way through the reception anyways. 
  • edited December 2011

For as many Chinese wedding I have attended and participated in...tea ceremony is ALWAYS before NOON.

My aunts both had their Catholic wedding ceremony afterward (mid afternoon). It was very important to have the tea ceremony before noon because they believe all the prayers and respect to the ancestors should be done before 'high-noon' or when the sun is high in the sky.

With my other relative's weddings, they were all conducted before 12 pm (noon).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards