Colorado-Denver
Options

Photographer- WDYT?

This is what I emailed my photographer- This has been kind of hard for me, but we were not very happy with the final product. With the amount that we paid, we felt the photos did not meet that price standard. This was especially disappointing because we loved our engagement photos. We will be purchasing some prints, but do not think that we will be able to afford the album as is. Unless we can get the album under the $850 credit, we won't be purchasing it. We were also disappointed with the turn-around on the photos, but even more so because 90% of them weren't edited. I did post a link to the photos on the Knot community board, and we were not the only ones who thought the price did not match the quality. We do not know what will rectify this since it was a once in a lifetime day, and you did shoot gorgeous engagement shots. I hope to get this resolved, but for now, we are not happy with the final product. Thanks for your time and understanding. ------------------------------------------------------ This is his response- I received your email and also read the post on the Knot. I am really sorry you feel that way about your photos. As the others commented, they are raw photos. I thought it was understood that I don’t edit the photos but only the ones that end up getting ordered. If you look in the other galleries, you can see they are all like that. I’m sorry if there was a miss-communication. I don’t edit the gallery photos for two reasons: One is it allows me to deliver more photos to be able to document the day in the album (over 950). The second is that when I do edit them, they may not be edited the way you want them. i.e. black and white or color, etc… As I understand, you do like the album and the photos in it. The reason the album is the size it is, is because it is how I saw the day and tried to tell the story of what happened on your wedding day. And I think you see that it does that. I guess maybe I should explain how and why I do wedding photography the way I do, which may be different than the way your friends on the Knot may be used to. My ultimate goal is to give you something that years from now, you can take out, show to your children or grandchildren, and show them what your wedding day was like. Also, for you to be able to look back, smile, laugh, and remember things that you may have forgotten over time. And that is with the album. Which is why I spend so much time on the album and working with you to get it just right. The wedding images are there to fill in the album. That doesn’t mean that the images are bad, they are just not edited. Editing 950+ images can take a long time. Again, I am sorry that there was a misunderstanding. To help rectify the situation, I can either do one of two things. I can either go through and edit all the images in the gallery, or I can go ahead and create the album for the current credit. Please let me know if one of these would be ok for you. Thank you so much for your honesty. -------------------------------------------------------- What do you think? Its not that the photos are raw, but they just seem to be shot horribly. Even the edited ones don't look great. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to marknewmanphoto.net to clients, then to Amberly and Rob Gallery.
puppies-1

Anniversary

Re: Photographer- WDYT?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Amberly, I'm sorry this issue is still going on.  It's a difficult position to be in, I'm sure.  If I were you, I'd probably have him edit the whole album.  Editing, all depending on what type of software you're using, can do wonders for bad photos.  I'd say that's your best bet of getting better photos.  Then in a year, maybe recreate some of the photos with a different photog (i.e. poses with your DH and some trash the dress pics).
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Correction -- Have him edit the whole gallery.
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, it drives me crazy that he's trying to defend his poor quality work and blame your disappointment on "miscommunication". Was there anywhere in your contract/package/agreement/etc that you would receive EDITED photos? Or did it specifically say you will be receiving raw photos. I honestly don't know of any photographer that gives you raw, unedited photos and only edits the album pictures. Not trying to be negative but I was horribly unimpressed with the pictures and am so sorry for you that you're dealing with this and what is supposed to be one of the most important things from your big day. If it were me, I wouldn't spend any money on an album of photos I didn't love, regardless of the credit. I wouldn't give this guy any more of your money. Maybe you can find someone to edit some of your favorite photos in a program like Photoshop but there is only so much you can do in PS and getting them to the point you love could be costly. Editing does take time and it infuriates me that your photographer is using that as an excuse not to do that..."Editing 950+ images can take a long time"...what photographer takes pride in handing back a half-ass representation of their work?!? Sorry, that part really pisses me off for you. I would consider filing a complaint/claim with the BBB. I wouldn't let this one go if I were you. The photos are the most important thing you have after the wedding, to me at least, and you should be happy with it. It's not like you hired Uncle Vinny to do your wedding for free; you hired a so-called professional and he should be held accountable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Amberly, I'm so sorry you're still dealing with this. I agree with Mandy, I don't like how he's trying to make excuses, and say that it's just his "wedding photography style." You are right, the photos are not very good. Unfortunatley you can't change that.

If I were you, I would just take the photos as is and look into having them touched up by a student at an art school, or by somebody on craigslist.

I also think it would be really nice, if you can afford it, to hire a different photographer and get back into your wedding gear and have some nice portraits taken. It would be good to have a few shots of you guys that you really like.

GL, I really feel for you on this!
  • Options
    mkennedy111mkennedy111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I had to register just to weigh in on this because I'm completely shocked at your photographer's behavior.  My boyfriend is a wedding photographer in the Denver area (I help out as his second photographer) and you're completely right.  These photos are of very poor quality.  They're blown out, the white balance is off, some aren't even in focus.  Moreover, they just don't POP!  I'm truly sorry that you spent the money you did and didn't recieve acceptable results.  I would be embarrassed to give photos like these to a couple.

You know what they say about excuses.....they're like a** holes (everyone has one and they usually stink!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards