African American Weddings

'Tis the season.........

For family members to ask you crazy questions about your wedding.  I went home with my FI for Thanksgiving.  His cousin told US we should review our guest list because her son and his girlfriend did not get a save the date.  Had that been someone on my side of the family my mother would have had a word for them.  Her son did not get a save the date because they live in the same house and I was not wasting two STD's, invitations are a different story.  Other questions were what is your first dance song, what does your dress look like, how many guests do you have, etc.....

Did this happen to anyone else over the holidays?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 'Tis the season.........

• edited December 2011
    Um yes this happened before the holidays, during the holidays, and even after the holidays I'm still getting questions. My favorite answer... "I'm really not thinking about that right now, so how is everything going with you" shut it down real quick LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Yeah I have.  Everybody wants an invite. Including my FMIL who just asked for 10 random invites for her church friends.  Me and FI are like 0_o ma'am...who are these people??

Then my sister asked me about my colors.  We have navy and white at colors at first.  She declared this was "too prom-ish"...so when I tell her the colors have changed to Chocolate Brown and Red, she goes "Oh yeah that's better, I can do that" girl stop. lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    lol! we get all of that and "why aint i in the wedding..... -_-
    Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
  • edited December 2011
    GIRL...during the prayer where everyone said something they are thankful for why did one person say they are thankful for our wedding coming up because it will be a blessing? That part was really sweet and I appreciate it, but it would have been better if everyone in the room was invited. There were at least 9 people we had no plans of inviting. So here comes the flow of questions...Am i invited? Is so-and-so invited? Why didn't you ask for my help?........
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tis-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:66ed26cc-8453-4152-8532-9005e2999438Post:029e472a-e7ad-4fe1-9919-68603ae7f339">Re: 'Tis the season.........</a>:
    [QUOTE]GIRL...during the prayer where everyone said something they are thankful for why did one person say they are thankful for our wedding coming up because it will be a blessing? That part was really sweet and I appreciate it, but it would have been better if everyone in the room was invited. There were at least 9 people we had no plans of inviting. So here comes the flow of questions...Am i invited? Is so-and-so invited?<strong> Why didn't you ask for my help?........
    </strong>Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

lol! i love this one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
  • edited December 2011

Tis the Season indeed!  Not only did I get TOLD by several people they were coming (was not planning on inviting them), FMIL invited a random person FI and I were sitting with at the table with (it was a big Thanksgiving at his cousin's house) to the wedding as well.  Oh well, just breathe right ladies?!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I got asked this before during and after the holidays.  I just had to ignore all of them, lots of words would have been said.

Who are you to dictate who comes, what I do or what I wear in MY wedding?! 

Try your best to let it all slide, I laughed most of it off in the end.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tis-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:66ed26cc-8453-4152-8532-9005e2999438Post:a403c2be-9612-4213-ba42-2194bdbb8231">Re: 'Tis the season.........</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tis the Season indeed!  Not only did I get TOLD by several people they were coming (was not planning on inviting them), <strong>FMIL invited a random person FI and I were sitting with at the table with (it was a big Thanksgiving at his cousin's house) to the wedding as well. </strong> Oh well, just breathe right ladies?!
    Posted by SunnyBB[/QUOTE]

I would jokingly (not really) tell FMIL that extra people will cost X amount per person. She can hand over a check or cash. Funny how the people that had a court house or backyard BBQ wedding have to most to say about my wedding.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    Yup this must be common. I went my FI's house for Thanksgiving and I was introduced to his mothers new bf and brother. Then his mother says something about the brother coming to the wedding. In my mind I was like no he isn't. Then I have the family that ask why aren't I in the wedding I had a cousin that was originally a bm fall off the face of the earth then came around for thanksgiving and thought she was still in the wedding. So I guess we know what foolery to expect for Christmas and New Years LOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone told me how much they loved my dress on Thanksgiving.  Apparently my mother has been showing EVERYONE the picture she has of me in my dress.  I just asked her not to show anyone else.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tis-season?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:66ed26cc-8453-4152-8532-9005e2999438Post:1439ae72-a7e1-4f63-8b7f-1f770335b70f">Re: 'Tis the season.........</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol! we get all of that and "why aint i in the wedding..... -_-
    Posted by Baesmom[/QUOTE]

yes! lol
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yau'll scare me with these stories lol At least yau'll FI hasn't sold you guys out. Anytime anyone asks my FI about the list or plus ones or anything for that matter he directs them to me. I heard him tell his friend the other day when she asked him about a plus one that I only gave him 50 spots on the guest list.  Knowing darn well he just told me the other day she couldn't have a plus one since she was single and knew other people there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards