Snarky Brides
Options

Let's talk about car accidents

2»

Re: Let's talk about car accidents

• Options
    Scariest Accident: April 15, 2000 (I remember the day because it was tax day) I was 12, my brother was 5. My mom and grandmother were buying some plants at a nursery and sent my brother and I to the car. I was in the driver's seat, I turned the key to turn on the battery (not the engine) to listen to music. My brother was in the backseat and decided that he wanted to drive. He jumped up and pulled the shifter into neutral, the blazer jumped the crub and went straight into the irrigation lake. I managed to jump out of the blazer (nearly getting run over), my brother was still in there. Luckily, it took a long time to sink, my mom and I jumped in but we couldn't the doors open. A man jumped in and got my brother out. I believe chevy ended up recalling the brakes because our accident. 

7 months after I got my license. I rear ended a classmate leaving school. 

5 months later- I was turning left onto a 4 lane rd. There was a jeep turning right onto the road I was on. I saw 1 car behind him. I thought I had enough to go, but didn't. The car behind him saw me, and stopped. BUT...a lady didn't see that car swerved, crossed the median and took off half of the front of my car. It was technically my fault because I was turning left, even though she crossed the median and was speeding. Live and learn. The paramedics were amazed I was okay (aside from strained muscles from tensing up so much and a little whiplash). I'm 5ft9, and my seat was all the back so the airbag didn't touch my face, I only had a burn on the bottom of my thumb. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Last year I was stopped at a car accident and some lady rearended me at like...100kms I think that is about 60mph? I was off work for 7 months and I am still recieving treatment.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    About 3 years ago I purchased my first car. Nothing special, just an old Hyundai Accent.

Being safe-minded, I took my car to a local mechanic to make sure all was safe.

We had just purchased our house and had stuff to move  still so we took the car to go pick some stuff up.

I was going 100kms on the highway when I hit a nasty, unavoidable pothole on an over-pass, at which point my hood flew up, smashed my winshield and completely blocked my view. Somehow I managed to find a small gap to view the road and was able to drive over the overpass, past the on-ramp and then pull over.

Come to find out, there was undercoating gunked around the hood latch, preventing it from securing properly.

Pretty effing terrifying!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I was driving on a curvy backroad last year after it had rained after a long dry spell. I was making a turn, hit a slick spot and spun my car completely around. I thought I was going to die because there was a huge hill to fall off of right where this happened. I spun around enough to get to the tree line where the rear passenger side door slammed into a tree. My back window completely busted out and glass went 10 feet away from my car.

It totalled my car.

• Options
    LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I've had 7.  

One was my fault. I failed to yield while turning left while trying to find a clients house 3 weeks into my very first "real" job.  Having to explain that to my brand new boss was NOT fun, but luckily she was cool. Nobody was hurt, but it took 7 weeks for my car to get fixed.

One was declared an "act of God".  I was driving through the woods in MI to a family friends cabin to babysit and hit a really slick spot of mud on a curve.  I was going slow, but my tire just lost traction and I went into a chain link fence.  The police said that they got accident reports on that spot at least twice a month. 

2 were hit and runs - one while driving in downtown Indy, and the other while driving in DC.

The other 3 were not my fault.  Someone t-boned me in a parking lot at Purdue.  The other 2 were minor fender benders - one at a stoplight, and one in a parking lot while my car was parked.  

ETA: The hit and runs were them hitting me and running, just to be clear!
  • Options
    This isn't an accident but more of an "almost" accident.  FI drives a big old lifted truck and awhile back had military humvee tires on it.  Well those tires SUCK when you are going 60 on the highway and then a weenie car cuts you off and then slams on it's brakes.  Boy did we slide for a bit and I damn near saw my life flash before my eyes.  Two weeks later FI got new tires :)

Another time when we were about to hit the Zakim Bridge a car just flat out stopped... it's Boston people so obviously we were flying and the car just STOPPED.  There was a hay bale in the highway (weird) but it was also about 2am and there were no other cars on the road so instead of going around the guy just flat out stopped and again I thought we were going to die.
  • Options
    I've been in a few accidents while others were driving, but no one got injured in any of them.

I've been in 3 accidents where I was driving.

1.) I was probably 17 at the time, travelling with friends In Canada. I rear-ended someone when trying to turn out of a restaurant. I was watching traffic and thought the car had gone so I inched forward and hit their bumper. No damage was done and the older gentleman was really nice about it.

2.) When I was living in New Zealand 4 years ago I rented a car to go on a weekend trip and on my way back to where I was staying I flipped the car down a very very steep hill. The car flipped 3-4 times before getting caught by a deer fence. It was a couple hundred more yards to the bottom of the "hill", so the deer fence saved my life. Came out of that with just a bruise on my neck from the seatbelt. Not actually sure what happened, the car just suddenly lost traction and swerved (it was an old junker of a car and the tires might have been bad, in addition I was just getting over bronchitis so I probably shouldn't have been out driving all day by myself).

3.) 2 years ago, I had just gotten a new car and was pulling out of a parking spot and another car hit me. Surprisingly no damage was done, but damn was I pissed for a second when I thought some a$$hole had just wrecked my new car!

I feel like I've been pretty fortunate considering. FI has been in more accidents than I have fingers on my hands...
  • Options
    I've only had one, and it was shortly after I first started driving. I was attempting to pull out left onto a busy street, and I saw a car coming but thought I had enough time. She ended up going way faster than the 25 mph speed limit, and I hit her. It was crazy because I was driving a brick wall of a car, a '98 nissan sentra and she was driving a fairly new mustang. Even though I hit her, my car wasn't damaged atll but her car was completely tore up.
  • Options
    I've never been in an accident while driving ::knockonwood:: but I've had some close calls.

I was a passenger in an accident with my sister driving.  We were driving straight going through and intersection and a guy turned left right out in front of her.  No one was hurt and her car still ran enough to get it off the road.  The other driver took off though (typical for that area of town).

While I was driving on the freeway, I was in the far right lane and a car in the far left lane had a blow out, lost control and was coming straight towards T-boning me.  I swerved to avoid, but then over-corrected because I didn't want to hit the barrier wall, so I spun my car out in the middle of the 6-lane freeway.  I was extremely surprised that neither of us hit anything.

The only accident I've been involved in with injuries was when I was 12, and technically I was a pedestrian (on my bike).  I was crossing in the crosswalk, almost to the other side of a street when a guy was making a right hand turn and didn't see me until it was too late.  He was going slow since he was turning onto a semi-residential street, so really it just knocked me off my bike.  I broke my wrist by trying to brace my fall and got a little bit of road rash.  Luckily, the guy stayed and actually had insurance.  I think the insurance settlement took a while (a year or two to be finalized), but I'm not sure since it was put in a trust until I was 18 anyways.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I was just in an accident this past June and it put me down for a while.

I was driving in almost rush hour traffic in Atlanta on a work day morning.  At the time I was working two jobs so I was getting off from one job, going to the other.  Just riding along about 40 (this is about the max speed you can reach on an Atlanta freeway anywhere near rush hours) and the next thing I knew I was  Jeep sandwich between one of those big concrete barrier things they build as the shoulder and a white work truck (not a big rig, just a regular size truck with ladders and stuff on it) 

I got out of my car and was walking around aftewwards but they took me to the hosiptal and had me checked out just in case (I had broken ribs and a broken wrist and bumps and scratches).  Little did I know that was just the beginning of it.  The hospital sent me on my way after a while, I went home and just didn't feel right.  I was in terrible pain, and I'd broken ribs before so I knew what that felt like.  Long story short i ended up passing out in the bathroom that night, my FI had to call 911, the ambulance came and got me and took me back to the hospital.  Turns out I had internal bleeding that they didn't catch with the initial CT scans and x-rays.  I was in a coma for 2 weeks and in the hospital for almost 6 total.  And to top it off when I fell in the bathroom I did more damage to my ribs so one of them ended up puncturing my lung.  Of course I remember none of this.  I just remember getting home and not feeling well.  Then nothing till I woke up in ICU.

So needless to say I've had enough of car wrecks for a while. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Only been in one. Hydroplaned on the freeway at night. Totalled my car got some nasty bruises, pretty sure if I didn't have my seatbelt on I would have gone through the windshield. The cop that showed up was convinced I'd been drinking kept giving me breathalyzers. I was absolutely terrified.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I've been in 3. Two fender benders and then a bad one that totalled my car. The bad one was two years ago when my H and I were coming back into town from visiting family for Christmas. The interstate was backed up, so we got off to take surface streets. The first intersection we came to, H had to slam on his breaks because a dude was running the red light. We had just enough time to take a deep breath and turn on the street we were trying to turn on when a guy took an illegal left turn infront of us and we slammed head on into him. Everyone was fine, but I've had a lot of anxiety issues with driving ever since then and our dog is a nervous wreck in the car. He had been sitting in the middle of the back seat when we hit and flex half way up into the front seat. Poor guy.

It was the first car I'd ever bought myself and I'd only had it 8 months. I found the Nissan emblem in the gutter and kept it as a souvenir.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lets-talk-about-car-accidents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27d8dae4-8e95-4e2c-852b-2ec0d02bf646Post:51e27c5d-cc11-401f-b71a-d0759315aa03">Re: Let's talk about car accidents</a>:
    [QUOTE]My first car accident was when I was about 2 years old, my dad was helping a woman who was locked out of her car and so he left the car running with me in it (strapped in my car seat) to keep me warm. He was only about 20 feet away from the car, and he looked over to see that I had unbuckled my car seat, climbed out and into the driver's seat, and pulled the gear into reverse. He ran to the car to intervene, but not before the car had hooked on the the back of someone's bumper and peeled it almost completely off. I don't think I was left in the car for even a second after that.  
    Posted by NicoleSahara[/QUOTE]

Something similar happened to me and my sister once.  The truck wasn't running, but we were playing around and pulled the gearshift into neutral, which started us rolling backwards since the parking lot was on the hill.  I remember jumping out and running into the pharmacy to get my mom, who ran out and hit the emergency brake.  She didn't leave us in the truck like that anymore!

As for me, I've had four, plus a couple fender benders.  The first two were in the same car at the same intersection.  Needless to say, I've never driven through there again.  /><  The worst was last April that totaled my car and sprained my shoulder.

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards