Snarky Brides

Question: How often do you...

Wash your bathroom towels? 

I'm just wondering, because I learned something about Ben last night that makes me go huh?  On Tuesday night, I stayed at our new place with him (I'm still at my apt til after the wedding) and I used a towel to pat my face dry after washing it.  It was mostly clean though and I didn't unfold it, so I shoved it back in the closet.

Last night I went to use the same towel and it was gone.  I asked him where he's been hanging up his towels.  Apparently, he doesn't hang up his towels.  He uses them once, and then he washes them.

He's skeeved out by using a bathroom towel more than once.  Now that I think about it... I guess I can see where he's coming from.  But is this excessive?!
panther

Re: Question: How often do you...

• I'll use a bath towel 2, maybe even 3 times before washing it. Definitely no more than that though.

The hand towel for drying hands on gets changed once a week.
  • Ben and I should be best friends. I've had pink eye way too many times (brought home from daycare with my Ben) to ever not wash after everytime I use one.
  • I use bamboo towels which have some antimicrobial properties, so I wash them once a week. I also don't share my towels with anyone.
  • Y'all make me feel like a dirty bird. I wash mine once a week. I shower twice a day, so I have a morning towel and a night towel. Everything is white, so they get thrown in with the sheets. On hot.
  • I feel so sirty now.My body and hair towels get washed every other week, and hand towels once a week. Hey, I am at my cleanest when I use them so why do it more often? It seems like they would get pretty worn and stiff if washed every time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I use two each night - one for body, one for hair - and use them 2 times.  We have a tons of towels though so we only have to wash a load of them once a week.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I use them a couple times then switch.  Except for the towels I use for my face--I have a big stack and I only use those once, and I never use the regular hand towels on my face.  I've always had skin trouble and changing my pillow case often and using different towels for my face every day were what made the most difference.  I don't even use my body towel to dry my face after I shower.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Yeah I'm in the once a week club too zippity... I would actually probably wash them more often, but as of right now, I live in an apartment building with community washer/dryer, and they are disgusting.  I've just been taking my stuff to Ben's (and now it will be our new place) to wash them.

I am really surprised I didn't notice this when he stayed with me during the 09 flood for three weeks!  It was just kinda funny to me I guess.
    panther
  • I use two towels - one for my hair, one for my body. I alternate those two for the next shower, and then wash them. I don't think they're really "dirty" per se, but we can't always hang enough towels on the back of our bathroom door to get them really dry in time for the next shower, and I always think that they're going to get musty. I only do one load of towels per week, though. Those musty suckers can sit in the laundry room til Sunday.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:6e420a4b-a4cc-4652-b2a0-0888ecac3650">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel so sirty now.My body and hair towels get washed every other week, and hand towels once a week. Hey, I am at my cleanest when I use them so why do it more often? It seems like they would get pretty worn and stiff if washed every time.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I change out our towels about that often too. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's so funny - Ben and my Fi would be friends. Fi only uses them once and then puts them in the hamper. I use mine a few times - probably 3 before I put mine in the hamper. I do laundry once a week or so and always have a load of towels.

I've learned that we just have to have a ton of towels. Every Christmas I ask for more - this way I at least can only wash them when I have to do laundry anyways!
    Photobucket
  • I'll use a towel probably 3 or 4 times before using a new one. I know that H probably uses the same towel as me since he showers in the morning and I shower at night, but I feel like we're probably cleanest after getting out of the shower, so it doesn't really bother me that much.
  • I'm with you Alli...we probably don't wash them enough though. I have one for my body and one for my hair. And all I really do is dry myself off so theoretically nothing dirty is touching it right? I don't really have a face towel (I mean we have them hanging but we don't use them for our faces)...I wash my face in the morning in the shower. I don't wear make-up so I don't wash it before I go to bed, I just brush my teeth.
  • Well DH works out at work every other day, so he takes a shower at the gym, and he uses a totally different towel for that. So I change them out about once a week.
    Usually I do all the laundry on the weekends, so I get the fresh out of the closet then. But the hand towel gets washed more often.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hand towels get changed once a week, bath towel every 3-4 uses, bath robes probably every other week. Obviously guest bath towels are washed after each use and clean hand towels are always put out before their arrival. I try to conserve water, but I was in warm water with detergent and oxiclean.

Photobucket
  • I hardly ever use the towels in the linen closet. I just wash the same towels and sheets and then hang them right back up/put them back on my bed. That's probably why my stuff disintegrates so quickly. I don't like the way my linen closet smells.
  • Sometimes, I kinda feel like a bad housewife- we only have 3 matching towels and 4 matching hand towels and washcloths. I'm asking for matching towels for Christmas. SS- pay attention!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:0b0c2cb6-6c14-4e70-9e1a-5f7726473b1d">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hardly ever use the towels in the linen closet. I just wash the same towels and sheets and then hang them right back up/put them back on my bed. That's probably why my stuff disintegrates so quickly. I don't like the way my linen closet smells.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

<div>This too. We have lots of stuff in the linen closet but that is for guests. When we wash sheets or towels I just put them back on the bed/rack. I don't rotate stuff out. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:0b0c2cb6-6c14-4e70-9e1a-5f7726473b1d">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hardly ever use the towels in the linen closet. I just wash the same towels and sheets and then hang them right back up/put them back on my bed. That's probably why my stuff disintegrates so quickly.<strong> I don't like the way my linen closet smells.</strong>

I know the feeling. I ended up storing the detergent and dryer sheets in the linen closet and now everytime I open the door it's like a burst of fresh laundry. Try it!  : )
  • I use one or two towels a week on my body and 1 towel a week on my hair, but I only wash my hair twice a week. 

Wes doesn't understand the concept of hanging up wet towels so all of his smell like ass.

• My mom's towels smell like dirty kitchen sponges - which is really, really strange to me, because she's a really neurotic clean freak.  I think it has to do with her front loading washer and that she might not get the towels into the dryer fast enough after they wash.  They just sit in there for a while.  And when you use the towels you can smell it on you like, all day.  It's gross.  I've told her numerous times but she can't smell it, probably because she's just used to it or something.
    panther
  • But the real question is, how often do you shower? Twice a day? NO! Gawd you guys are gross.
  • Also, does anyone else have "show towels?" I confess to having them in my guest bathroom and on the rack over my garden tub in my bathroom. They have never been used, and they've been hanging up since I moved in in 2006. I am terrified that someone will try to use one and get covered in dust. I should probably wash those.
  • Usually about a week or less if I do laundry more frequently. If I'm clean, I don't see the issue. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:7c27f015-63be-46ed-87d5-0b97d263f580">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]But the real question is, how often do you shower? Twice a day? NO! Gawd you guys are gross.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

I do :) haha... only on days I go to the gym, though!
    panther
  • I use two also - one for hair, one for body.  I use them probably 4-5 times and then put them in the hamper.  I have 4, so I just switch out the two fresh ones for the used ones, then wash all 4 (and the bathmat) when the second two are used.  No towel sharing, either.  Mine are mine; his is his.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Zip - in our new place we TOTALLY have "show" towels.  They match our shower curtain and bath mat :)
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:8006a743-26f8-4113-b266-f047df86a2fb">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom's towels smell like dirty kitchen sponges - which is really, really strange to me, because she's a really neurotic clean freak.  I think it has to do with her front loading washer and that she might not get the towels into the dryer fast enough after they wash.  They just sit in there for a while.  And when you use the towels you can smell it on you like, all day.  It's gross.  I've told her numerous times but she can't smell it, probably because she's just used to it or something.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had this issue too because I always forget about laundry. But I switched to bamboo and they don't get musty nearly as quickly, I love it.

My step-dad just made a joke and followed it with "Bazinga." He's the best.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7d0cbd70-0f62-4571-ace6-de86844c8c98Post:69fd3962-78ab-4653-a666-23daa3a73099">Re: Question: How often do you...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, does anyone else have "show towels?" I confess to having them in my guest bathroom and on the rack over my garden tub in my bathroom. They have never been used, and they've been hanging up since I moved in in 2006. I am terrified that someone will try to use one and get covered in dust. I should probably wash those.

<div>oh yes. The only ones that get used in there are the hand towels. This is partially because if we have people over (which is rarely) and if they chose to shower (even more rare) then I have 'sets' that I leave on their beds. So they never even have to use the ones in there.</div><div>
    </div><div>The only time anyone has ever spent the night and showered was the night before the wedding when DHs friends were over. I left towels out for them and they used them. I know because they were on the floor when I got home that night/next morning at 2 am! (But the rest of the condo was spotless so I can't complain).</div>
  • My stp dad's method, which you must learn when you stay in their house:

Everyone uses a clean towel to dry off. That towel then gets hung up. The next person uses the hung up towel as a bath mat. When they are done, they take it into the laundry room. This is the man that also owns 12 towels, hand towels and washcloths in each bathroom, and they all must be folded and placed on the shelf in the exact manner he prefers or he throws them on the floor and waits for someone to deduce that they have done something wrong, and realize (through pure intuition) the way he wants it done. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards