Arkansas

Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please

My husband and I are planning a 15 year vow renewal for June of next year and have decided to do it Destination style.  Currently, we are looking into Eureka Springs, AR, and Branson, MO.  I'm much more familiar with Branson than Eureka Springs.  I attended college near Branson (C of O) and we find ourselves in that area often, but I haven't seen Eureka Springs in over 25 years. 

Eureka Springs seems so full of beautiful and amazing places!  So far, we've checked The Crescent and Basin Park Hotels in Eureka Springs, not in person but by internet and email exchanges.  We can't make a trip in person for a while yet.  Would anybody more familiar with the area mind giving us some other suggestions to check into?  We would love to have the renewal ceremony and dinner party at the same venue, but since our crowd isn't terribly large (about 30), it wouldn't be too big of a deal to have them in seperate places.

The families attending our renewal are thinking about hanging around the area we choose for a family vacation, so any advice about Eureka Springs in general would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Julie
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please

• I see no one has replied yet.  Im notfrom there but will be gettingmarried atthe Basin Park nextSeptember.  We really liked the downtown feel of the Basin, but with the size of your group the Crescent Conservatory would probably be best.  Its absolutely gorgeous in person!
  • Thanks for the recommendation, nehgd9!  I'll take a good look there over the internet and put it on my To Visit list for this winter! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arkansas_advice-for-the-eureka-springs-area-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:76Discussion:caac5793-8be6-4303-83e0-cf00e5fbe2e2Post:abd3c77e-f0ff-4900-b118-c660d0374763">Re: Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see no one has replied yet.  Im notfrom there but will be gettingmarried atthe Basin Park nextSeptember.  We really liked the downtown feel of the Basin, but with the size of your group the Crescent Conservatory would probably be best.  Its absolutely gorgeous in person!
    Posted by nehgd9[/QUOTE]

As gorgeous as The Crescent is, I think I'm scratching it off my list. If my kids (ages 8, 11, 13, and 18) hear ANYTHING about ghosts, they will be freaked out the entire time! LOL
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re:Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please:In Response to Re: Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please:I see no one has replied yet. nbsp;Im notfrom there but will be gettingmarried atthe Basin Park nextSeptember. nbsp;We really liked the downtown feel of the Basin, but with the size of your group the Crescent Conservatory would probably be best. nbsp;Its absolutely gorgeous in person!Posted by nehgd9As gorgeous as The Crescent is, I think I'm scratching it off my list. If my kids ages 8, 11, 13, and 18 hear ANYTHING about ghosts, they will be freaked out the entire time! LOL Posted by Julie2013 Lol! I'm having my reception in the Crescent Conservatory this coming May. I didn't know it was as famous as it is for being haunted until after I put down the 1,000 deposit. It holds the title for America's Most Haunted Hotel. They are all supposed to be friendly though. It really doesn't matter, I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe in demons messing with folks under the guise of ghosts. My bmaids and I are staying in the Governors Suite that weekend and are going to anoint the room with oil and pray over it. Lol. Now that you think I'm crazy....let me give you more advice. :P Have you thought of renewing your vows in the glass chapel? Thorncrownchapel.com Check it out if you haven't. It is gorgeous. We are getting married there. : I hope that helps!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arkansas_advice-for-the-eureka-springs-area-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:76Discussion:caac5793-8be6-4303-83e0-cf00e5fbe2e2Post:63358c79-f063-4bbb-991b-3d90b84b2a06">Re:Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please: Lol! I'm having my reception in the Crescent Conservatory this coming May. I didn't know it was as famous as it is for being haunted until after I put down the 1,000 deposit. It holds the title for America's Most Haunted Hotel. They are all supposed to be friendly though. It really doesn't matter, I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe in demons messing with folks under the guise of ghosts. My bmaids and I are staying in the Governors Suite that weekend and are going to anoint the room with oil and pray over it. Lol. Now that you think I'm crazy....let me give you more advice. :P Have you thought of renewing your vows in the glass chapel? Thorncrownchapel.com Check it out if you haven't. It is gorgeous. We are getting married there. Actually, check out our wedding website and go to the guest info page for info about the town and links to activities and attractions. HunterandChristine.com : I hope that helps!
    Posted by Sharpschruter22[/QUOTE]

Sharpschruter, so sorry I didn't respond to this sooner! TK doesn't have the most reliable email alert system when people reply to watched messages, do they? It's really starting to irk me.

At least you are taking the whole ghost thing in stride! I would ignore the big lot of it if it weren't for the ages of my kids. Their collective freak-out would be less than relaxing for me on my and my DH's 15th anniversary, though! LOL  FWIW, my parents spent the night in the hotel once. Dad slept the whole night through and Mom stayed up hoping to see a ghost. She was so disappointed when she got home. ha ha ha!!

I do appreciate the advice! I saw the Thorncrown Chapel when I was a teen and thought it was gorgeous. And there are some pictures on the internet of a beautiful vow renewal there. I bet your wedding will look amazing there!

My bff and I made a mad dash to Eureka Springs last weekend and I changed my mind about having it there almost immediately. Downtown was so tight that I felt claustrophobic. We drove by the places I had on my list from my internet search and I still couldn't imagine dealing with the close quarters where they were located. The trip did, however, make me want to go back for a romantic trip for two or with my bff for a girls-only weekend away!
  • We actually just moved from Branson to Rogers, AR, and spend quite a bit of time in Eureka. It's one of our favorite places. I had always wanted to have my wedding at Thorncrown and reception in the Barefoot Ballroom of the Basin Park. We decided against it as I wasn't thrilled with the catering options there. We are tentatively set on a Branson wedding, as it is halfway between us and the majority of our family. In Eureka there are several B&Bs and Inns that offer wedding packages as an alternative to Crescent or BP. So many photo ops and beautiful outdoor ceremony options as well.
    Our number one choice in Branson is a Silver Dolllar City wedding. The prices are unbelievably good, and they let you customize things to your taste. Integrity Hills in Branson is also a gorgeous, gorgeous chapel overlooking Table Rock Lake.
    You mentioned that you went to C of O, have you looked into having your wedding in the chapel on campus? My dad and stepmother were married there 20 years ago, and it was beautiful. It's a long aisle though, we joked about her having to ride in a golf cart to get down there, LOL!!
    Good luck with your planning :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Samantha, I tried SO HARD to talk my husband into having our renewal at SDC!! It's such a fun place and, as you said, the prices are unbelievable! I just couldn't get him on board with it for the renewal, but he's game for a family trip there after the renewal.

You know, I didn't even think about the C of O chapel! I bet that does make for a gorgeous wedding. Yes, that is one really loooong aisle! LOL My son will be attending there next semester. During the tour, the whole group ooohed and ahhhed at the stained glass and the beautiful architecture.

Thanks for the suggestions! It turns out I came across my dream venue just 25 minutes from my house, so my hunt is over. I hope your day turns in to all you want it to be! :)
  • Congratulations on finding your venue! Thank you for the kind words, I hope your renewal is amazing :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2012
    Oh gracious! I didn't know anyone replied either! Thank you for your kind comments. I know exactly what you mean about it being claustrophobic! I've had my mind set that I wanted my wedding at Thorncrown and reception at the crescent for 5 years now, but didn't go there in person until we went to have a tour and book with deposits. I had to get engaged first! Lol! I was disappointed in the town itself, while the area is gorgeous, the strip is pretty trashy IMHO and it reminds me of the Branson strip which I have never been a fan of. Then you get downtown and its like WHOA! This place is super tight and claustrophobic! I love my venues so much that the rest of the town doesn't matter to me. Please elaborate on your chosen site! NEHGD! I just noticed you sent me a private message nearly a month ago and I'm so sorry I didn't reply. I'm on my phone because my laptop is kaput so I couldnt reply. It won't show a text bar for me to type in .In answer to your question, our videographer is Mark McKenzie of Eureka Springs Wedding Videos. He is super nice and does great work. Google it for his website, I can't remember what it is because he has photography options too. I think it's Eurekaspringsweddingvideos.com. He is 200 an hour and has packages just for the ceremony and also for other blocks of time. He will mail you a copy of a wedding video he made in order to see his work. I was impressed. Email me and we can talk more about our ES weddings! My email is Cmaire23gmail.com. Notice that is Maire pronounced Mayor not Marie. Too many people make that mistake and i ne er receive the email. I can't wait to hear from you!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arkansas_advice-for-the-eureka-springs-area-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:76Discussion:caac5793-8be6-4303-83e0-cf00e5fbe2e2Post:cfa79794-273f-4b6c-aef3-06bcc896e13b">Re: Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations on finding your venue! Thank you for the kind words, I hope your renewal is amazing :)
    Posted by samanthakelso[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Samantha! I wish you well with your wedding, too! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arkansas_advice-for-the-eureka-springs-area-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:76Discussion:caac5793-8be6-4303-83e0-cf00e5fbe2e2Post:daa61918-7fe3-490e-a8c3-ff24e487ee4e">Re: Advice for the Eureka Springs area, please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh gracious! I didn't know anyone replied either! Thank you for your kind comments. I know exactly what you mean about it being claustrophobic! I've had my mind set that I wanted my wedding at Thorncrown and reception at the crescent for 5 years now, but didn't go there in person until we went to have a tour and book with deposits. I had to get engaged first! Lol! I was disappointed in the town itself, while the area is gorgeous, the strip is pretty trashy IMHO and it reminds me of the Branson strip which I have never been a fan of. Then you get downtown and its like WHOA! This place is super tight and claustrophobic! I love my venues so much that the rest of the town doesn't matter to me. Please elaborate on your chosen site! NEHGD! I just noticed you sent me a private message nearly a month ago and I'm so sorry I didn't reply. I'm on my phone because my laptop is kaput so I couldnt reply. It won't show a text bar for me to type in .In answer to your question, our videographer is Mark McKenzie of Eureka Springs Wedding Videos. He is super nice and does great work. Google it for his website, I can't remember what it is because he has photography options too. I think it's Eurekaspringsweddingvideos.com. He is 200 an hour and has packages just for the ceremony and also for other blocks of time. He will mail you a copy of a wedding video he made in order to see his work. I was impressed. Email me and we can talk more about our ES weddings! My email is Cmaire23gmail.com. Notice that is Maire pronounced Mayor not Marie. Too many people make that mistake and i ne er receive the email. I can't wait to hear from you!!
    Posted by Sharpschruter22[/QUOTE]

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this post, Sharpschruter22. I don't visit the TK Community much anymore. I've found a few other wonderful internet sites to visit and plan where the advice is just as sound as from many of the knowledgable people here and there's not an undercurrent of fear amongst the members to post. Plus, once again, TK didn't notify me there was a post in a thread I was watching! Grrr... I decided to pop in today to check out the June 2013 ladies, to check & answer PMs, and to see if there was anybody I needed to answer in threads.

I'm with you in thinking the downtown area of Eureka Springs isn't that attractive, at least not during the day. My friends and I got there just before sundown and I was completely unimpressed. But we were still driving around after dark and I loved the ambiance of it all then. I thought it looked like a painting where somebody tried to imitate Thomas Kincaide! I loved the way lights glowed from the shops & restaurants and people were eating & talking & shopping in the glow. THAT'S what made me want to go back with just the hubs or my bff. No matter, though. I bet your wedding and reception is going to be amazing! :)
  • Hey Julie! Glad to see you! I agree about the unwelcome vibe from a lot here. They say they get posts all the time from newbs asking why they're so mean. Oh but they aren't mean! Just telling you the truth you don't want to hear. Ok. Calling people names like childish, moronic, annoying, etc are all considered mean in my book. If so many people are saying you're mean, then maybe you should look at how you're saying things. I also find it ironic that they are giving advice on how to not be rude, but are being rude while doing it. Obviously nothing is going to change it, but I'm not going anywhere. It's rather amusing to see grown women behave in such a way. That said, I understand why you would want to be in a more supportive atmosphere. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will come back to post your pics!
  • Sharpschruter22, I find I am still popping in here and there, so you might see me post occasionally. Internet friends keep luring me back! LOL I was blessed early on in my posting to meet some wonderful people that I"m a bit emotionally invested in now. It's so much fun to see their wedding plans come together and they seem truly interested in my vow renewal, too. And if Knot Lili and the other TK big wigs ever get that vow renewal forum put together, I'll definitely be in there a lot! :) Until then, I'm not much of a contributor except to those who speak directly to me here on TK. The other boards are just so much more fun to interact with!

I see your event is before mine. I can't wait to see your pics, too! I'm completely addicted to wedding photos. :)

Best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards