Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Need non-cheesy father/daughter dance song

Re: Need non-cheesy father/daughter dance song

• bjmclambbjmclamb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    butterfly kisses is a really good sweet song :)
  • mpatt2122mpatt2122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Heartland I loved her first.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am thinking about using "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright. It's sweet, but upbeat and fun...even a bit funny! 
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and say those first two suggestions fall in the "cheesy" category?  I can't stand cheesy songs either, so I am leaning toward a sweet but funny song.  Technically it is about a son, but eh.  I think I will dance to Still Fighting It by Ben Folds with my dad and stepdad.  It is just a song about how it sucks to grow up and the experiences the dad had watching their child grow up. 
    My kickers: The opening lines are "good morning son, I am a bird in a brown polyester shirt"  ....my dad is a ups man and I always make fun of his brown polyester shirts haha, and the second kicker, i love the end of each chorus You're so much like me, I'm sorry."  it just has a sweet but funny sound to it.  Good luck because there is a lot of cheese out there!
  • KES27KES27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still looking for a song...

Butterfly Kisses is the MOST cheesy song out there.
  • bvanostenbvanosten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to a few Billy Joel concerts together and have an inside joke about the song "Allentown" so we are going to use that. 

Are there any songs or singers that make you think of him?  If he's anything like my dad, you couldn't get in his car without hearing Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Elton John, or Bruce Springsteen.  Pick a song you like from his favorite artist.  If it already reminds you of him, pick it- it doesn't have to be sappy or wedding related at all. 
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love "Father and Daughter" by Paul Simon. It is a little faster tempo but I think it is perfect. 
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • RunRosey18RunRosey18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Girl...Stevie Wonder

I wanted something a little different as well. This is a song we used to sing all the tie when I was little. It's not cheesy (to me) because it has meaning and its not one of those over played songs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I came across another one last night that I had never heard before. My dad is a huge Springsteen fan and the song is When You Need Me. It is on an album of never released tracks.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • edited December 2011

Edwin McCain - Walk With You .... It's what me and my dad are dancing too!

• edited December 2011
    Here There and Everywhere - The Beatles
    Wild World - Cat Stevens
    Have a Little Faith in me - John Hiatt
    Child of the Wild Blue Yonder - John Hiatt
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For real, guys? She asks for non-cheesey and the first suggestions are I Loved Her First and Butterfly Kisses?

I almost picked Fun Fun Fun by the BEach Boys, because it's about a daughter and I used to tell my dad to play it all the time as a kid. It's a fast song though.

Sweet Child o Mine - Sheryl Crow does a cover that makes it work for dancing!

Thank You - Led Zeppelin

Daughters - John Mayer (I freaking hate him, but it's a popular choice)

My WIsh - Rascal Flatts

What kind of music do you and your dad like? That would help us know what to suggest.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_need-non-cheesy-fatherdaughter-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:c3b70b87-3227-40bd-8f85-111cb427fabfPost:326afe49-2ce9-4e49-a579-2405c1c124e7">Re: Need non-cheesy father/daughter dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]For real, guys? She asks for non-cheesey and the first suggestions are I Loved Her First and Butterfly Kisses?
    Posted by courtney1188[/QUOTE]

lol - my thought exactly.

check this out - <a href="http://offbeatbride.com/2007/06/non-sappy-fatherdaughter-dance-songs" rel="nofollow">http://offbeatbride.com/2007/06/non-sappy-fatherdaughter-dance-songs</a>
  • edited December 2011
    "To Sir, With Love" by Lulu! but, only if it's somewhat meaningful for you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_need-non-cheesy-fatherdaughter-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:c3b70b87-3227-40bd-8f85-111cb427fabfPost:d04e86d7-3953-422b-8fc3-4a32969088bc">Re: Need non-cheesy father/daughter dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am thinking about using "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright. It's sweet, but upbeat and fun...even a bit funny! 
    Posted by sweetbeck3[/QUOTE]

Same here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    282image Invited to celebrate!
    208image Will be Dancing the night away!
    74image Won't be having any fun
    0image are giving me a major headache

• edited December 2011
    Amos Lee-Sweet Pea or Joe Cocker-You Are So Beautiful or Louis Armstrong-Wonderful World
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the suggestions!
    Anniversary
  • CathMacCathMac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also stuck on songs......  So thanks for the suggestions.  My dad adores Credence Clearwater Revival, so am trying to find a slow-ish song of theirs.  We've decided to do the Father-Daughter dance at the same time as the Mother-Son dance, much easier and as my FMIL is a bit shy, it'll give her some moral support!  But a question - WHEN do we do the dance - is it straight after our first dance??
  • lepoelepoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad and I are going to dance to "Just a Little Girl" by Stephen Speaks.

He sent me a card and a CD with that song on there when I graduated from nursing school and moved out on my own.  

The lyrics fit me completely:
    "She's always trying to be this independent girl who's never in need.
    But 20 years in this town, she still relies on me to find her way around

She's just a little girl, time isn't holding her down.  She's just a little girl, she's never needed a crown.  She just wants somebody around who won't laugh if she laughs too loud.  She just wants somebody to see, she's just my little girl."

• MAMA41206MAMA41206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think my Dad and I are going to dance to "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan... it's rather long though so we'll have to shorten it.
  • bjmclambbjmclamb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having Butterfly kisses as well! Such a sweet song!
  • edited December 2011
    Lol really? Butterfly Kisses?....Okay. I'm thinking about Heart of Gold by Neil Young, or Wildhorses by the Rolling Stones.
    09/12- Dx PCOS; currently taking Metformin 1500mg.
    10/12-Married my best friend
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Delaney talks to statues by jimmy buffett. Or little miss magic by jimmy buffett. He wrote them for his daughters. Delaney talks to statues is a little bit more up bea but you can easily dance to it. Its cute and nontraditional.
  • BARF!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_need-non-cheesy-fatherdaughter-dance-song?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:c3b70b87-3227-40bd-8f85-111cb427fabfPost:6613cd8c-5c14-4458-a3f0-cea12db16f84">Re: Need non-cheesy father/daughter dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having Butterfly kisses as well! Such a sweet song!
    Posted by bjmclamb[/QUOTE]
  • I'm pretty sure she said non cheesy and that is the cheesiest of all time lol.
  • I like "She Thinks We're Just Fishin'" by Trace Adkins. Maybe it's a little cheesy but it's not as bad as "Stealing Cinderella" or "I Loved Her First."
  • I am using "The Wind Beneath my Wings" by Bette Midler. My daddy is my hero... "Did you ever know that you're my hero. You're everything I would like to be." And the part where she says "I was the one with all the glory, and you were content to let me shine" ... oh Lord, I'm tearing up thinking about it. I was a dancer and my daddy was always the ONLY dad to be EVERY single performance. Lots of moms, but my dad was always there. He works shift work at a chemical plant and he would do whatever it took to make sure he was there to watch me dance.
    MrsAitch said:
    I like "She Thinks We're Just Fishin'" by Trace Adkins. Maybe it's a little cheesy but it's not as bad as "Stealing Cinderella" or "I Loved Her First."
    That song "Just Fishin" by Trace Adkins is a song that my daughter says his her and her daddy's song. How sweet!
  • Have a Little Faith in me - John Hiatt
    Child of the Wild Blue Yonder - John Hiatt
    lol, I went to elementary through high school with his daughter, and we're friends on Facebook.

We danced to I'm Already There by Lonestar after most of the people had left because I didn't want that kind of attention on me. That's probably pretty cheesy, but it's a meaningful song to us.

• We are doing a joint parent dance to help share the spotlight and eliminate an extra dance.

FI's mom and my dad used to sing "You Are My Sunshine" to us so it has meaning to everyone.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I'm stuck too!  I didn't know my dad til I was 11 so we didn't bond when I was little so the idea of dancing with him is awkward to me but it will still be done.  We don't have any special songs or anything like that.  Not sure yet if we'll do the father-daughter/mother-son at the same time, haven't talked about it.  My dad still cries at anything sentimental and I'd like something we can two step to.  Ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards