Snarky Brides

Anyone here use Mirena?

I have my annual coming up and have been thinking about switching BC.  FI and I do not plan on having children, and have thought about it for a long time.  If it happened, then fine, but we never plan on trying.

What (if any) side effects do you notice?  I have some body image issues, and am really worried about weight gain.  I'm on nuvaring right now and have no problem with it, but to not have to worry about BC for 5 years would be freaking fantastic.

Re: Anyone here use Mirena?

• Oh, I'm sorry, I think you confused us for doctors.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I'm pretty sure I'm not asking you to diagnose anything.  Just asking for personal experience about a medication.

• A personal experience about a medical thing that affects everyone differently is pretty worthless.

• I've had Mirena for five years. I'm getting it replaced next month. So far, I've been happy with it, though the insertion was painful. I've had severe endometriosis since I was 13, but I've not had any problems in the last five years. No periods and minimal cramps. That's just my experience, though. Your doctor should explain the risks and benefits to you.
  • I talked to my Dr about it last year when I got engaged, and I'm aware of the documented side effects.  I guess I just wanted other's personal experience with it, but nevermind.
  • oh c'mon, J. People do this all the time. I wish I would've asked before I got my Mirena, because I felt like a complete freak. Until I really started digging, it was hard to find 'bad' stories of the IUD.

OP- of course you should also talk to your doctor, and you might want to ignore my opinion. ;)

I had Mirena for 5 months and it was the worst 5 months of my life (not an exaggeration.) I had severe cramping (worst ever), I went 3 days without bleeding that entire time, and I felt like shiit all around. My mood swings were out of control (I've never gotten moody before with my period or other BC), I felt like I was walking around in a haze most of the time. I also gained 17 pounds in those 5 months. The insertion wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable. The removal though was absolutely terrible. Within a week or so of having it removed, I felt so much better. 

That being said, I tried NuvaRing once too and was super lightheaded and... 'off' for the 3 months I tried it. SO obviously I'm not the 'norm', and my body obviously doesn't like a constant hormone birth control. SO take my experience with that in mind. BUT I do want people to know that it is possible to have a bad reaction to it. Because my doctors made me feel like I was completely nuts for not having a perfect reaction to the IUD.

All that being said, I'm still considering an IUD after the baby comes. But I'll try the copper instead, because I really do think it was the hormones in the Mirena that screwed me up. Not the IUD itself, if that makes sense.
  • I've had Mirena for about a year.  The first two or three days were truly agonizing!  I yelled in the office when she put it in (to put things in perspective, I always have big issues with pap smears too, I'm just super sensitive).  I had horrible cramps for the first few days, and then, nothing.  I get random spotting, but it's rare.  Overall I'm pleased with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've had two Mirenas. The first one was in for 5 years. The second one about a year, then it was expelled. Having them come out is a possible side affect, but it's not something most woman have to worry about. I loved it. I have no periods the entire time I used it. The first time I had it I actually lost weight. I don't think the Mirena affected my weight gain or loss in any way. I have a few friends on it and they all liked it. H and I are going to have a baby but after that I will get another Mirena.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Meh, Steph, I've heard tons of bad Mirena stories.  And everyone's experiences seem to differ SO wildly with Mirena that I really do think it's worthless to ask people about their experiences. 

And yes, people do do this all the time.  And it irritates the bejesus out of me every time. 

• chirpchirpchirpchirp member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012

Obviously from what you've already read here, everyone seems to have a different reaction to it and their body handles it differently so that's all you're going to get- a perspective on how their body handle it.  If that helps you with some of the nervousness in getting it, I understand but just know that it likely will be different for you.  I've had it for just over a year and I'm completely happy with it.  It's wonderful not having to worry about taking a pill and I never have to worry about whether or not my health insurance will stop allowing my brand of pill covered.

However, I did have to pay completely out of pocket for it because my health insurance covers every form of BC EXCEPT an iud.  I wish I had read more carefully and since it was my own fault for not investigating it further, I shut up and put it on my HSA card (about $2000 by the way). 

Also, the first few days to a week are terrible.  The cramps were so bad I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it.  Lots of love and attention from the heating pad and ibuprofen did the trick though.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-here-use-mirena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a48879ef-f86e-4186-b33d-1cdc4b537516Post:7508394d-d95e-4bda-9574-dea84df99bf4">Re: Anyone here use Mirena?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meh, Steph, I've heard tons of bad Mirena stories.  <strong>And everyone's experiences seem to differ SO wildly </strong>with Mirena that I really do think it's worthless to ask people about their experiences.  And yes, people do do this all the time.  And it irritates the bejesus out of me every time. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>This goes for pretty much anything.  I asked a month or so ago about Implanon because I was nervous about it after I had it put in.  Everyone had pretty good things to say..... </div><div>
    </div><div>... and I got an allergic reaction... WOO!  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, basically no two bodies are the same so some people will have good experiences and some will have bad.  It's annoying but really, you never know until you try.</div>
  • I've had two and loved them.  Inserted and replacement was painful, like massive cramps.  I'd definitely plan to take the rest of the day off after.  For me, I just don't have periods or mood swings when I'm on it and no other side effects.  :)

I have a friend who tried it and it was like a constant period until she had it removed, so it definitely varies widely from person to person and it's one of those things that you never know how you will handle it until you try it yourself.
  • I've had mirena for about 2 years and would definitely recommend it.

I went from NuvaRing to Mirena because I liked the idea of less hassle (plus NuvaRing was starting to get hella expensive!). I spotted on and off for about a month, then after about 3 months my period completely went away (LOVE THAT). About once a month I cramp a little, but the cramps are nowhere near as bad as they were before Mirena and only last a day or two.

A friend of mine got a Paragard copper IUD and she bled constantly for 6 months before she finally took it out and switched to Mirena. She experienced spotting for 4 months and now she likewise has lost her period and hasn't had any other negative side effects from it.

On the flip side, my little sister got mirena about a month after having her first child. She wasn't in love with it and took it out a couple of months later because she was so paranoid she was going to get pregnant and not realize it WITH the IUD in (unlikely but there have been documented cases).

I agree with everyone else that you should talk to your gyno about the option. It's possible there's a good reason to advise you against it, but you won't know till you talk to them. I can personally recommend it from my experiences, but everyone is different :)

(P.S. I have never had children and my other friend who has it right now has also never had children)
  • I had mine for about six months but, like Steph, those months were miserable.  I had a lot of cramping. My periods did pretty much stop, but when my period would have happened, the cramps were unbearable. At any other given time, they were usually there too but milder.

Who cares if people react to things differently, J?  People ask stuff like this all the time.  Why did you single this one out to try and make her feel dumb for even asking?  Besides a doctor, there's no better place to ask about BC experiences than a board like this, that is swimming with women.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-here-use-mirena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a48879ef-f86e-4186-b33d-1cdc4b537516Post:2e36d1a6-4756-4721-b749-7861db6bc422">Re: Anyone here use Mirena?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had two and loved them.  Inserted and replacement was painful, like massive cramps.  I'd definitely plan to take the rest of the day off after.  For me, I just don't have periods or mood swings when I'm on it and no other side effects.  :) <strong>I have a friend who tried it and it was like a constant period until she had it removed</strong>, so it definitely varies widely from person to person and it's one of those things that you never know how you will handle it until you try it yourself.
    Posted by boaznruth[/QUOTE]

This is what is happening to my sister.  She has also gained a lot weight, breaks out really bad and has severe cramping all the time, which she attributes to the mirena.  She has an appointment to go get it removed.  She has had it for about 6 months and the sife effects are not slowing down.
  • I had it for around a year before I got it removed. It was great for not remembering to take birth control every day. It did make my hormonal acne worse, which I think is more common. I ultimately had it removed because of the acne, and my cramps were kind of bad on it (which is not common). My friend has it and loves it though.

I would agree insertion feels just like really bad cramps, and I was crampy for a day or two after that. Taking it out was really relatively painless and easy.
  • I get that J, and I think that's exactly why people ask. Like I said, I know my experience isn't the norm, but shiit. It would've been nice to hear some stories like that before I got mine, because I wouldn't have doubted myself so much when I was going through it at aleast.

And holy crap chirp. Mine was $650 (with the doctor fee and everything.) It was covered by insurance (as a surgical procedure? whatever.)  $2k is ridiculous.
  • ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I did copper instead because every kind of hormonal BC I've ever tried made me the moodiest and fattest girl in America and I didn't want to risk it not working out.

Putting an IUD in hurts, a lot - I actually fainted.  It was also wierd to get used to having to find/check the strings but once you get it in and get used to it it's awesome BC.  Also - copper is 10 years instead of 5 so if you don't plan on kids at all then it's an even better option.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-here-use-mirena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a48879ef-f86e-4186-b33d-1cdc4b537516Post:0b2f1253-94ac-41bf-876d-3b1af24bc37a">Re: Anyone here use Mirena?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had mine for about six months but, like Steph, those months were miserable.  I had a lot of cramping. My periods did pretty much stop, but when my period would have happened, the cramps were unbearable. At any other given time, they were usually there too but milder. Who cares if people react to things differently, J?  People ask stuff like this all the time.  <strong>Why did you single this one out to try and make her feel dumb for even asking?</strong>  Besides a doctor, there's no better place to ask about BC experiences than a board like this, that is swimming with women.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I've commented similarly on almost every single one that I've seen.  But if it will make you feel better, I'll try to check for medical questions every day and make everyone feel stupid for it.

• ElleB87ElleB87 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-here-use-mirena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a48879ef-f86e-4186-b33d-1cdc4b537516Post:2be0fe13-85a0-411f-ba23-9e14830d620d">Re: Anyone here use Mirena?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did copper instead because every kind of hormonal BC I've ever tried made me the moodiest and fattest girl in America and I didn't want to risk it not working out. Putting an IUD in hurts, a lot - I actually fainted.  It was also wierd to get used to having to find/check the strings but once you get it in and get used to it it's awesome BC.  <strong>Also - copper is 10 years instead of 5</strong> so if you don't plan on kids at all then it's an even better option.
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

This is not necessarily true. I have a copper IUD (Flex-T) and it's good for 5 years.

With IUD's people tend to either love 'em or hate 'em. Insertion actually wasn't as bad for me as I thought it would be. The pain only last a second. I had a little bit of cramping that evening but nothing major.  I took an ibuprofen before hand and I've never had kids.  Yes, the cramping during my period is on a whole other level compared to pre-IUD cramps but for me it's worth it (and a midol usually does the trick). I can't take hormonal BC and IUD's are very effective.

TMI Allert!

Since getting my IUD my flow has become heavier but my periods are shorter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks to everyone who answered! As I said before j, just looking for opinions on personal experience. If these threads irritate you, why are you responding? Anyways, I'm on nuvaring b/c I'm a huge wuss when it comes to any kind of stomach pain. Doing the continuous cycle so I don't have periods has been awesome. When I do take it out to have a cycle, I usually get nothing, so the fact that a lot of you have had cramping does worry meI can deal with it if I have to though. See, I kind of have some OCD issues, one of them being that I'm constantly checking my calendar and counting the weeks over and over to make sure I'm changing the ring at the right time, and I'm sick of it. And we really really don't want kids, don't want to even risk an "oops" for lack of a better term, so it would be less for me to worry about as far as human error goes. I really appreciate all the advice, any more experiences then keep 'em coming! Posting this on my phone so sorry about the lack of paragraphs
  • I just got the Mirena inserted a few months ago, and I've probably had one of the best experiences in the history of Mirenas, but I'll share with you anyway! :D

My insertion was so completely painless I was shocked. I went in imagining the worst (and having read about the worst!) but it was honestly not a problem at all. I was in and out of the doctor in about 30 minutes. I expected serious cramping or spotting the same day or not long after, but I didn't have any. I spotted about three weeks after the insertion for about a week, but nothing since. I do have cramps occasionally that feel like I might get a period, but no bleeding or spotting.

I do think my acne is worse though. I used to have perfectly clear skin but now it feels more greasy and I break out more. I'm not the best about taking care of my skin though, so maybe I just need to woman up and get a better skin care regime!
  • jujub423jujub423 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I really think I might try it!  For some reason I never thought about the fact that if I don't like it, I can just have it taken out.  FI is worried because of some of the more life-threatening (and rare) complications.  I have coverage through Plan First, which only covers paps/BC but it covers 100%.  If I could afford insurance through my work that would be great, but it would be half of each paycheck, and after bills I would literally have no money :(     $2,000 is nuts Chirp, I had no idea it was so expensive out of pocket!

Whit-I have never had good skin.  I had some cystic acne on my cheeks as a teenager and although it's gone, I still have some red marks.  I'm extremely diligent about my skin care regimen though, so hopefully I won't have any problems.  A girl I work with has started doing oil cleansing though, and it has made a HUGE difference in her skin.  She had really bad acne--painful, purple/red skin, and whiteheads that looked like blisters because they were so big.  She said it's helped a lot with the "oilyness", and has fewer blackheads.

• I'm sorry for my "tone." I'm sorry if I made You feel stupid. I still Donn like these posts and firmly believe you'll get better advice from a doctor on this sort of stuff, but I could have been nicer.

• Wow this new mobile site blows. I hope you know what I meant win my autocorrects because I can't edit.

• You didn't make me feel stupid, I was just surprised by how much it seemed to irritate you.  I'm well aware that my Dr is the most qualified to answer my questions/concerns, but I still was interested in other's experiences.  No biggie, we all have things that annoy us.
  • I've have Mirena for 2 years now. I was put out-ish when they put it in tho, a mild setative, don't remember any of it( aparently I was still talking and stuff). When I 'woke' up I had some cramping and felt like I needed to pee for 3 hours. I went to my sisters place and slept for a while and when I woke up for supper i felt loads better. Possibly TMI, but apparently i have a small, tilted uterus so they didn't know if I would be able to keep it, so I had to go for a couple ultra sounds to make sure it was still sitting right, and i had to have the strings cut off  because they were stabbing FI (lol). But after a few days and the lovely ultra sounds, its been awsome, I go in every 6 months for a pap to make sure everything is good an still sitting right but thats just because I am parinoid..I love not having to worry or remember to take pills. I think my skin got a bit worse, but that just might be what would have happened anyway, my skin is at war with me all the time. But Ihavent had any weight issues and my periods are pretty normal still, a little lighter than they were maybe. I got mine because my Dr  recomended it, her daughters were on it too, that was a big selling point for me.
    Also, I live in canada so it only cost me $300 to get it done.
    Anyway. I love it, I know a few other people who have gotten it and haven't had problems, one did, she got a infection so she had it removed but she had tried a few other things that didn't like her either
    There are some sites that you can compare a few different types of BC and see peoples expiriances.
    Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-here-use-mirena?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a48879ef-f86e-4186-b33d-1cdc4b537516Post:2c471dd1-3dec-4c98-9f07-63d0e61c3b1b">Re: Anyone here use Mirena?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've have Mirena for 2 years now. I was put out-ish when they put it in tho, a mild setative, don't remember any of it( aparently I was still talking and stuff). When I 'woke' up I had some cramping and felt like I needed to pee for 3 hours. I went to my sisters place and slept for a while and when I woke up for supper i felt loads better. Possibly TMI, but apparently i have a small, tilted uterus so they didn't know if I would be able to keep it, so I had to go for a couple ultra sounds to make sure it was still sitting right, and <strong>i had to have the strings cut off  because they were stabbing FI</strong> (lol). But after a few days and the lovely ultra sounds, its been awsome, I go in every 6 months for a pap to make sure everything is good an still sitting right but thats just because I am parinoid..I love not having to worry or remember to take pills. I think my skin got a bit worse, but that just might be what would have happened anyway, my skin is at war with me all the time. But Ihavent had any weight issues and my periods are pretty normal still, a little lighter than they were maybe. I got mine because my Dr  recomended it, her daughters were on it too, that was a big selling point for me. Also, I live in canada so it only cost me $300 to get it done. Anyway. I love it, I know a few other people who have gotten it and haven't had problems, one did, she got a infection so she had it removed but she had tried a few other things that didn't like her either There are some sites that you can compare a few different types of BC and see peoples expiriances. Good luck!
    Posted by Tahlora[/QUOTE]

Forgot to mention that when I went back in for my 30 day check-up I had to have this done too.

If you'd like more details about the insertion process feel free to PM me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards