Snarky Brides
Options

What do you hate most about...

weddings (ceremony or reception). What really gets under your skin when you go to a wedding? Is there something you wish brides would completely do away with? What do you love about weddings? Is there anything you would like to see done more often?

I hate monograms. Everyone knows your names and last inital. And honestly if you put in on a non edible favor, I'll most likely throw it away.

I love when brides let the BMs pick their own dresses.

Re: What do you hate most about...

• Options
    Hate- Tiaras, Cake toppers where the bride is dragging the groom, money dances.

Like- Bouquet toss, open bars, good food.
  • Options
    Hate - Long rambling ceremonies. Embarassing the B or G during speeches. Mentioning things like sex or erections during the ceremony...

Love - When the couple can't get through the ceremony because they are nervous/happy/emotionally, I think it's really sweet. Edible favors (eating a brownie from Saturday).
  • Options
    I hate tiaras too.

Also hate a rose petal scattered aisle.  Yay, mess.

I hate the "stealing the bride" or "stealing the groom" tradition.  I think it's disgustingly tacky and rude.

I hate DIY weddings - not if they're done well, necessarily.  But usually... ugh.

panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:a798889b-2932-4684-a463-0ef6b2c550ba">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<font color="#ff0000"> I hate the "stealing the bride" or "stealing the groom" tradition.  I think it's disgustingly tacky and rude. </font>
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

What is this? I never heard of or seen it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:48b26057-17f6-4c75-ab2e-bc9ad8f6719e">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hate - Long rambling ceremonies. Embarassing the B or G during speeches. Mentioning things like sex or erections during the ceremony
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I actually witnessed a best man speech where the guy handed a set of golf balls to both the bride and the groom... because even though the groom still technically should keep his "balls," the bride really is in control of them.

I should also add that this speech was given by a really conservative christian guy and a wedding where it was widely known that the bride and groom waited until the wedding to consummate their relationship.  Awkward?  Yup.
    panther
  • Options
    Hate: A sermon preceeding a wedding ceremony. I wanna see this couple get hitched, not listen to your minister ramble on about the evils of the world or whatever. Happy stuff. Save the hellfire and breamstone for another day.

Love: Champagne. I'm easy.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:08304db0-e89c-46e4-a134-311ec476a0a7">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you hate most about... : What is this? I never heard of or seen it.
    Posted by MissDuke2012[/QUOTE]

The groomsmen will steal the bride and take her to a bar for an hour during the reception, and the bridesmaids will do the same with the groom. 

I went to a wedding once where they were stolen immediately after the pictures they took AFTER the wedding, so the guests literally waited for two and a half hours for the bridal party to arrive at the reception.  And, they were all shitfaced.

Classy.
    panther
  • Options
    sctfrk1314sctfrk1314 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Hate- Preachy ceremonies, ribald garter tosses/speeches/anything, "unique" guest books that no one can figure out, and receiving lines

Love- happy couple, anniversary dances, good food, great music 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That is bizarre. 

I hate aisle runners.  I don't know why, I just do.  I was at a wedding where they forgot to put down the aisle runner, and so they stopped the music, ran out, rolled it out, and started over.  WTF?

I hate cake smashing.

I hate dry receptions. 
  • Options
    Ugh, yes, cake smashing. Ick.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:34e74d51-805c-4d90-bfe9-1b76efe4bb2f">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you hate most about... : The groomsmen will steal the bride and take her to a bar for an hour during the reception, and the bridesmaids will do the same with the groom.  I went to a wedding once where they were stolen immediately after the pictures they took AFTER the wedding, so the guests literally waited for two and a half hours for the bridal party to arrive at the reception.  And, they were all shitfaced. Classy.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Glad that's not a custom around here.
  • Options
    AATB, it sounds like you go to a lot of shitty weddings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fever - it's the midwest.  Lol.

No, but seriously - I come from a pretty small, hickish town where people do pretty outlandish and shitty things.

One of our groomsmen made a comment about going to a bar before we go to the reception.  I guess he'll be disappointed.  There's a bar at the reception for crap's sake, and two of my bridesmaids are underaged.  Sheesh.  I think it's our region's "culture of drinking," but really, there's no excuse for making your wedding guests sit there and wait for you while you go out and get plowed.

ETA - I hate cake smashing too.  Maybe a LITTLE aggressive serving where a TISH of frosting ends up on the outer corner of my lips would be okay.  But if I apply my perfect makeup for my wedding day I will be LIVID if cake is smashed in my face.
    panther
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hate:  No dancing or music, zero booze if it's an evening wedding, pre-printed thank yous (with no other message), not having cake (i like cake...a lot), when the B&G make it obvious they don't care to talk to you.  Fine, I'll take my gift back, thanks. and bouquet/garter tosses

Love:  Meaningful ceremonies, special touches, general joy of everyone there.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Viva the Midwest.
  • Options
    I'd be so pissed if someone tried to "steal" me. Luckily our friends knew better.

I don't like long, religious ceremonies. Preachy ceremonies bother me. I also don't like fancy food that the B&G probably can't even prnounce, they just wanted to be "classy" and "elegant." Give me a steak or mashed potatoes, please.

Most other stuff I don't mind. I've never actually seen a photobooth or candy buffet and would like to see what they're all about.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:bf35c7cd-d9fb-4708-93bb-d4f9094b1b34">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd be so pissed if someone tried to "steal" me. Luckily our friends knew better. I don't like long, religious ceremonies. Preachy ceremonies bother me. I also don't like fancy food that the B&G probably can't even prnounce, they just wanted to be "classy" and "elegant." Give me a steak or mashed potatoes, please. Most other stuff I don't mind. <strong>I've never actually seen a photobooth or candy buffet and would like to see what they're all about.</strong>
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    Come to my wedding, lol!  FI is all about the photobooth, and I think it's a cool idea. 

I hate favors I can't eat.  I have enough of my own crap and don't need to add more to the pile, even if it is a heart topped wine cork or letter opener.  I also hate picture frames and anything with the B&G's name all over it. 

I hate rambling ceremonies, but I'm having a full mass, so it will probably be on the longer side.
  • Options
    Ugh, I hate the bouquet toss and the garter toss.  Hate them.  Triple hate them when little kids are allowed to participate - it seems there's always like an 8 year old girl who catches the bouquet and an adult groomsman who catches the garter and then they have to dance together.  Ick. 

Also hate ringleader-type DJs.  Just play the songs and shut up. 

I love good food at a wedding.  I love crying brides & grooms or grinning brides & grooms.  I love unusual readings.  I love when friends/family present readings or songs, even if they're much less than professional quality. 
  • Options
    oh own, the new picture is amazing!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:a2b0508f-df73-4bc0-b63d-1600f1120e64">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh own, the new picture is amazing!
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:a2b0508f-df73-4bc0-b63d-1600f1120e64">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh own, the new picture is amazing!
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

Yes, this. And I love your bouquet, it's gorgeous!
  • Options
    Aw, thanks, guys!  How sweet.  I was so happy with the flowers, and they were a complete gamble.  I didn't give the farm any information, basically, beyond a color swatch from my dress. 
  • Options
    Plenty of things bug me, but I wouldn't say I "hate" anything. Oooh wait I take that back. I hated that people wore jean shorts to my brother's wedding. I'm pretty sure my husband hated parking cars at that outdoor wedding in a suit, in 95 degree in the summer in Kansas. Yay Midwest!

I would also hate a dry reception or a reception without music, but I haven't witnessed either of these.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hate: tiaras, over the top jewelry (too much like playing dress up), when the pictures take forever...I was once at a wedding where they put everyone on a train to ride around the property to pass time while the photos were done.  Only the property was kind of a crap hole and the ride was too fast, so they made us ride around twice. 

love: the nervous tics of the bride/groom (one bride giggled throughout the ceremony and the groom cried the whole time.)  white merlot and cake
    Photobucket
  • Options
    COkristi - My dad is a farmer and one of my aunts was appalled when his hired man showed up to my sister's wedding last fall in jeans.  I was just impressed he had taken a shower!

He did buy a nice jacket for my grandfather's funeral, though.  So that was nice of him: )
    panther
  • Options
    SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    hate: long receptions. (i'm happy for you, but i have other things to do with my life than dance to bad music with your great aunt all night!) assigned seating. GAPS. long ceremonies. cash bars without ANYTHING hosted. being told to pick what i want to eat ahead of time. i don't know if i'll want chicken or beef that day, give me buffet style! children at formal receptions. bad bridal makeup.

love: the look on the groom's face when he sees the bride for the first time. edible favors. smiley brides and grooms. a dj that plays current music. guest books that contain photos of the bride and groom. getting to mingle/pick where i sit. ceremony + reception at the same location so i don't have to drive. outdoor ceremonies. uneven bridal parties.
  • Options
    AATB- quit giving away all of our dirty secrets! ;)
    I grew up in central WI, and every wedding had an hour or so in between where the wedding party would bar hop.  They usually got free drinks though. gross.

I hate tiaras and photo slide shows that you have to watch (like during the ceremony?), and pretty much anything that's over the top and forced lovey-dovey.

I love when you can see the couple's personality in the wedding, and traditional wedding vows (not the "obey", but just all of the "I do"s...)
  • Options
    Hate: Complete cash bar and bad food.  Groom getting all up in the bride's business to get the garter (I'm also not the biggest fan of garter/bouquet tosses).  Insanely long or innappropriate toasts.  Smashing cake in faces. 

Love:  A cute first dance--not the typical "God Bless the Broken Road" or whatever.  The look on the groom's face when the bride comes down the aisle (thanks SS!).  Non-traditional readings and music during the ceremony.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hate-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7267d1c2-63d2-4fe5-9bd8-c695d7e98e12Post:e5e771ad-0acf-4e27-ac40-26e5ec75f714">Re: What do you hate most about...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plenty of things bug me, but I wouldn't say I "hate" anything. Oooh wait I take that back. I hated that people wore jean shorts to my brother's wedding. I'm pretty sure my husband hated parking cars at that outdoor wedding in a suit, in 95 degree in the summer in Kansas. Yay Midwest! I would also hate a dry reception or a reception without music, but I haven't witnessed either of these.
    Posted by COkristi[/QUOTE]

Never come out with me then, I am cursed when it comes to dry weddings. I've attended 3 weddings 4 years and two were completely dry. The first was a cash bar. I have yet to experience this open bar I hear so much about.
  • Options
    i hate when the bride and groom don't let themselves reflect in the wedding, long speeches, "games" at the reception, and cake smashing

i love when the groom sees the bride for the first time, how when the bride steps into the ceremony you can almost hear everyone stop breathing, and fun couples my cousins wedding got rained out and his wife was awesome made it fun
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards