Texas-San Antonio

Venue & church advice please! :)

Hi everyone! I am newly engaged and new to the boards! My fiance and I live in Austin, but he is from SA and we are looking at having our wedding there. We are just starting to look at options. We are looking at Fall 2011 for our date so we do have some time.

We are both Catholic, so we are considering having our ceremony in a church. Any recommendations on Catholic churches to use in SA? Can you tell me about your experience and also price if you don't mind? Downtown churches are preferred right now, but like I said we are just starting to look.

Also, any recommendations on venues would be great! We are paying for most of this ourselves so nothing too outrageous please! We have two leanings right now - either downtown near the riverwalk or a pretty outside venue close to SA.

Thanks so much for your help and looking forward to being a part of the board!

Re: Venue & church advice please! :)

• edited December 2011
    Don't have exact prices as I booked the Church months ago, but If you are looking downtown San Fernando is amazing! I want to say it was $1,000 for the ceremony (but I am NOT positive so still look into it) but they offer a discount if you book the reception in their hall as well, so we looked into that.
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at the University of the Incarnate Word Church and it is breathtaking! It's $1000 to and I believe $800 is taken up front and the rest is due 30 days before your wedding.

As far as venues, I've been looking at hotels since I'm doing a winter wedding. Take a look at Spring Hill. Its a beautiful indoor/outdoor facility. I've been to many events and its a very nice place, but it's a ways from UIW's church.
  • amh9101amh9101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are marrying at UIW in Sept 2011!  It's amazing!!!! They have Mass every second Sunday of the month.  Check it out.  If you like it email them.  They are very nice!

The price is $1000 but it's not all due at once.  $200 holds the date, $400 and paperwork gets the contract and final $400 30 days before the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice! My fiance loves San Fernando, so we will definitely check that out. Anyone have their ceremony there and have any comments? Does anyone know anything about St. Joseph's?

Also, we're looking at La Orilla Del Rio Ballroom as a possible venue. Anyone have any experience with them? We'd love for the reception to be near the church and close to the Riverwalk if possible!

Thanks again for the help!
  • edited December 2011
    Have you seen La Orilla?!? I saw them online and feel in love! And then I went to go look at it...I was so disappointed because I had already fallen in love with it. It's a beautiful place but it is small. idk how many guest you will be expecting, but we are having like 130 and felt it was wayyyyyyyy to small.

But speaking about the guy that runs the place, he was very nice! I could contact him very easily and was available for any questions we had.
  • txgeogirltxgeogirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my reception at St. Joseph's downtown church.  Well, I hope I still am.  We booked last summer.  In September, when I was in Alaska for work (and out of email/phone range) they got a new priest-who changed the service time from 4pm to 2p only.  We loved St. J's b/c of the time and location to our reception.  I literally arrived back in Houston on the last day they were willing to give our deposit back if we decided to change our reception time from 4p to 2p.  I had to call around, but only found that San Fernando has a 7 pm and St. Mary's only has a 2 pm wedding service hour.  So stuck in a rut I decided to stay with St. J's and am having a 2pm ceremony. (ugh!)  The lady that works the front desk has not been friendly and never seems to pass messages to the preist, because I have yet to talk to him after I have left several messages.  My FI and I live in Houston, so it is rare that we get a chance to visit SA to visit him.  It is a lovely church and if you don't mind an early ceremony time I would suggest it, I would say that you should go in person to meet with the priest.  Oh, and they are very strict about the times and decorations and photography limits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards