Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Hors D'oeurves amounts?

I am having an hour long cocktail hour after our ceremony.  I am at a lost as to how many hors d'oeurves I should have.  We are having, at the most, 130 people attending.  Currently I have decided on three options that come in 100 pieces (so 300 pieces total) plus a veggie/cheese/cracker/dip display which will feed 100 people.  Does this seem like enough or should I add one more option?  I don't want to up the quantities of the app pieces because you can only order them in a quantity of 100.  I know that when I have been to weddings I may eat 2 or 3 things if anything. Ugh, help please!

Re: Hors D'oeurves amounts?

• edited December 2011
    I always take at least one of everything, with the exception of the veggie/cheese display which is always my last resort. Are you passing them around or will they all be stationary?
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At work, I usually recommend brides having 4 different hors d'oeuvres (2 veg, 2 meat, some hot and some cold). If you're having a full meal afterwards then 3-4 pieces per person is plenty. If you have 400 pieces total, that ends up being around 3 pieces per person which I think is fine. I usually notice that people have a decent amount of hors d'oeuvres left over by the end of the night anyway.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the information.  The hors d'oeuvres are going to be stationary.  The amount of food has probably been the most stressful for me.  I want to have enough for everyone but I also don't want to have so much that a ton is left over.

• edited December 2011
    I would talk to your caterer and see what they recommend.  I thought we would need at least 4 per person and our caterer told us we would be fine with 3.  She also told us most people do not eat many veggies and when she serves a cheese plate and a veggie plate the cheese is always gone and there are always veggies left over.  We ended up cutting the veggie trays by half and adding an extra cheese plate.
  • edited December 2011
    if you have a ton left over, get tupperwear and send extras home with guests OR donate to the mission :0)
    My Shoes :)Photobucket
  • love2naplove2nap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The rule of thumb is 3-5 pieces per person. 300 I think is fine, but if you are worried about running out, I would recommend having the cheese/veggie or whatever platter you do stationary so your guests can munch freely. I would have the other apps passed by servers so they can control the 300 pieces so it doesn't run out as quickly as it would be displayed. If they notice the food isn't being touched too much, they can add the apps to the cheese/veggie display. But I would def have your apps passed if you're worried about running out. I know that I'm usually hungary going into a cocktail hour!
  • edited December 2011
    I think what you are having is plenty. I am having about that and I have 190 guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue is having us offer 5 different ones along with cheese and crackers.  It's better to have too much than too little! So maybe add another selection?
    image 89 We asked to dance
    image 78 Are ready to go! image 11 Are lame but save us some money! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards