Well, FI and I are having to make a very, very difficult decision soon.
My father was given a few month to live. There is no more chemo or surgeries available to him. The cancer has spread and he cannot buy anymore time.
Our wedding was to be in 5 months. The timing of both is too, too close for comfort. He doesn't live near me, so I'm going to have to fly home several times with FI which will require some extra funds.
To relieve myself of having to put on a destination wedding weekend, cancelling would be the best thing to do. It would relieve my sisters and mom from the worries of having to travel out to Wyoming each with new babies, and having put on a happy face when they are mourning.
I can think of so many pros for cancelling. The only con for cancelling is my dad doesn't want us to do that. But we cannot just go on all happy and cheery so soon. We need some time.
My dad wanted us to continue as planned, but should the events happen too close, I just don't know how I'll manage. I want to be there mentally for my family, not switching gears after a funeral to finish up wedding planning.
FI and I aren't sure what we'll do. We have a few weeks to cancel and get our money back, even if we go over that deadline, we are ok to be out a little money if we aren't ready to decide at the deadline date. But we should come up with an answer no later than 2 months from today as that would give guests 3 months to buy airfare tickets - a reasonable time if we continued.
If we cancel, we'll wait until the dust has settled, I've healed a little and consider redoing the wedding smaller scale in Utah (maybe a winder wedding and guests can ski, or in the desert where it'll be not as cold), or just eloping somewhere awesome and making it the honeymoon as well (Banff, Hawaii, New Zealand?). We didn't have a honeymoon planned since we put all our energy and funds into making this a weekend vacation for all. It's hard to settle when you've had the Tetons planned all along, so I'd want something equally as grand in terms of location.